GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a four day, 600 mile trip, and on day two my trunk suddenly wouldn't lock, with lots of private stuff exposed to prying eyes. Fortunately no-one looked! This is the second time this has happened. I have always used the key fob to lock/unlock the trunk, not the key...maybe the cause of the problem? Then as suddenly as it happened, it again began to lock on day three. No apparent cause for either. So when I got home I called my trusty dealer, explained the problem, and his response was...huh? No service bulletins, never saw it before.

So, has this happened to any of you fine folks, or is this unique to my Grimlin infested '16 Wing? Be careful how you answer for the little buggers are watching!

·
Vendor
22,069 Posts
You may have some broken wires in the harness that goes up to the trunk where it gets bent at the trunk hinges. This is a common problem. When you press the lock/unlock button the lights should flash and you should hear the solenoid in the trunk make a loud click. If it doesn't, then check the wire harness at the trunk hinges for breaks in the wires.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Does it flash the lights about 10 times when it wouldn’t lock? This usually indicates one of the latches are not completely latched. This can be caused by the latch hoop’s screws coming loose in the lid.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for both of your replies. Answers: Throughout the lights did not flash at all when the trunk would not lock. The Latch hoops in the lid are solid and firm. I see nothing unusual at either trunk hinge. Now that it is working properly, the latch that opens the trunk underneath works just like it always has...can feel the cables working normally so can assume nothing is broken there. Just went out and locked/unlocked the trunk a number of times using the key rather than the fob...no lights at all and the only sound is a "locking" sound like you get from any lock. Like I said, this is the second time this has happened and the first occurrence was well over a year ago and did exactly the same thing as it did on last weeks trip.

The only thing I know to do is to wait until it happens a third time and hustle it up to the dealership so they see the problem with their own eyes...you know, "can't see it - can't fix it."

Would welcome any other suggestions...maybe Grimlin eliminator spray?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts