GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you use 7/8 for the Front Axel Bolt! What is the size in mm? I have looked in the manual and all that I've found is 14 mm for Bolt.

W

·
0 Posts
I suppose we should defer on this one. The Canadians took the whole metric thing much more seriously than we did. :lol:

Can't you just picture some southern redneck watching the Weather Channel and saying, "That's why they put the border there - it's 82 in Detroit and 28 in Windsor!" :joke:

(BTW, I'm a displaced Hoser myself) ;)

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Once again.......the factor is 25.4........
25.4mm = 1 inch

so we can see that........

7/8(.875)X 25.4 = 22.22mm, or rounded off to 22mm

Conversely if you divide mm by 25.4 you get inches in decimal. Like 14mm/ 25.4=.551 inches....(almost 9/16..._ .562).

They'll be a quiz on this next week!!!!!!!!!!:roll:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I suppose we should defer on this one. The Canadians took the whole metric thing much more seriously than we did. :lol:

Can't you just picture some southern redneck watching the Weather Channel and saying, "That's why they put the border there - it's 82 in Detroit and 28 in Windsor!" :joke:

(BTW, I'm a displaced Hoser myself) ;)
Rednecks would be using a standard cresent wrench instead of a metric one so of course it would round off the corners! :lol:

But seriously, have any of you seen a pipe wrench for use on big bolts? My dad gave me one. The main part has a flat pad and the movable part has an angled notch. I've put a 3 foot piece of pipe on that bad boy and it really works well. Well, not on my Gold Wing of course. The more pressure you apply, the tighter it grips the bolt/net and since it has smooth jaws, it doesn't chew up anything. I think it goes down to about 3/4" minimum and I haven't found anything big enough that it won't fit around. I've used it on 3" plumbing pipes. Sorry about not sending a picture. It is too late and cold to go out to the garage to take a silly snap shot of the little sucker. Sorry for the detour off the main subject.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Once again.......the factor is 25.4........
25.4mm = 1 inch

so we can see that........

7/8(.875)X 25.4 = 22.22mm, or rounded off to 22mm

Conversely if you divide mm by 25.4 you get inches in decimal. Like 14mm/ 25.4=.551 inches....(almost 9/16..._ .562).

They'll be a quiz on this next week!!!!!!!!!!:roll:
Exactly! Thanks, I purchased one at Sears! I could have "Dang Near" (southern ebonics) purchased a full set for the price! I wanted the exact size, thanks......

·
Mad UK Winger
356 Posts
NO 22mm is 22mm.
22 mm. does NOT equal 7/8"
22 mm is similar in size to 7/8 inches, but NOT "exact".

didnt say 'equal to' i said equivalent of, if you know a closer fit let us all know :joke:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
There is no closer fit to the 7/8 socket than a 22mm......unless.....you can find one that is 22.22mm ;)

The 22 will actually be a bit of a closer fit right!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts