GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thats the answer

the question is how far can a goldwing roll down the hill, from the lookout at deals gap, while trying to start it???

i proved this on thursday afternoon

i park on a incline, so i left the bike in gear and dropped the kickstand, of course i forgot to turn the key off, and in the half hour of visiting with cj, hedo, and yellow wolf, the battery was all the dead

so smart guy thinks he can push start it, WRONG

i tried all the way down the hill, 2nd gear, third gear, and even first gear

so at the bottom, cj and hedo stop and jump start the dead coaster

later on lewis explains the problem of why a goldwing will not push start,

by the way, lewis does sell a set of jumper cables, im getting one soon

and of course thanks to the corona delegates, for stopping and getting it going, we all help each other when possible, but im still thankful they stopped

·
Registered
323 Posts
Ok, I have got to ask. It never occured to me that the Wing would not start under compression. Can you pass on what Lewis told you?
Thanks

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
CJ has an interesting history with a similar event without the hill to coast down for educational purposes. Jumper cables to the rescue. :lol:

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
DASimle said:
Ok, I have got to ask. It never occured to me that the Wing would not start under compression. Can you pass on what Lewis told you?
Thanks
Not to answer for Lewis... but I think it's because there's no power to the fuel pump.

Oh.. and I was also 'enlightened' to the value of a set of small jumper cables one night, courtesy of CJ, at a small lil gathering called Cats-Cade.

:oops:
Tom

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I am not sure, but I push started my 01 Wing in the parking lot of the hotel I stayed at in Syracuse, NY on my way home from buying the Wing in NH this past April. Came out in the morning and no power, but not compltely dead. So I walked the wing to a very slight incline, started leg wheeling down the incline, put it in first gear, popped the clutch and away I went....All the way back to Chicago.

·
Registered
824 Posts
it is actually possible to bump start a wing... how do I know... I had to do the pushing....

The trick is that there has to be just enough juice in the battery for the fuel pump to work... if there isn't... then you have to jump it...

Earlier this yr I had to push/jump my wing a number of times....

Doable... but not easy....

Melissa

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Even my Kawasaki has a fuel pump, EFI, etc., so does this mean the days
of push starting a dead bike are over? :cry:

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
C.J., that's me, had a set of jumper cables because I was the recipient of assistance from RIXX when I put the kickstand down and also did not turn off the key. Bought a neat little set for about $11.00 soon after that. I'm pleased to stop and offer help to anyone.
I think Lewis said that the push start will not work if the battery voltage is below about 10 volts. If you leave the key on and run it down, it will have less than 10 volts.
You may want to order yourself a set. Here is a link to some jumper cables available from Cycle Gadgets where I bought mine.
http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/pr ... tem=BBOOST
They come in a neat little storage pouch that is easy to carry in one of the saddlebags on the bike or in the trunk cavity, or wherever you want.

If you want to read more about jump starting a motorcycle go here
http://www.msgroup.org/TIP104.html

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
This gives me an idea for an oopsie doopsie device. A spare battery of small size that is connected to the bike's electric only while it is running. After said boo-boo the flip of a switch connects this battery to allow for a push start after main battery is depleted below 10V. I'll sell them along side my hand carved grommets and bobble head Hals. :p

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Now I have another reason to keep my Tailwind attached. It has its own battery!! I can jump start myself :)oops: OOPS - that may be illegal in some states!!)

Andy

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Yes we have a WINNER!!!!! 10 volts is the magic number on the Wing, Below that the electronics (computers, Fuel injection etc.) will NOT operate. I found this out shortly after purchasing my Wing in 05. I had the ignition in the Accessory postion and was listening to music while shining up my new machine and after a couple of hours (+/-) the music went away. I turned the ignition to On and evrything flashed a couple of times then nothing. Battery was at less than 10 volts (8.6 or so). If you are above 10 you might have a chance of bump start otherwise it's jump it or charge it time.

W

·
0 Posts
loren said:
thats the answer

the question is how far can a goldwing roll down the hill, from the lookout at deals gap, while trying to start it???

i proved this on thursday afternoon

i park on a incline, so i left the bike in gear and dropped the kickstand, of course i forgot to turn the key off, and in the half hour of visiting with cj, hedo, and yellow wolf, the battery was all the dead

so smart guy thinks he can push start it, WRONG

i tried all the way down the hill, 2nd gear, third gear, and even first gear

so at the bottom, cj and hedo stop and jump start the dead coaster

later on lewis explains the problem of why a goldwing will not push start,

by the way, lewis does sell a set of jumper cables, im getting one soon

and of course thanks to the corona delegates, for stopping and getting it going, we all help each other when possible, but im still thankful they stopped
Now how can someone from Wisconsin forget to turn your key to off?........................LOL...................It also takes less then a hour for a batttery to go dead..........don't ask!

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Hey Loren,

My question is does it ever end?

Just glad Hedo was able to help and not at the wrong end of to many Coronas. ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!

Was going to stop Sun after coming back from Rockton but had to get home.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Whie at Kragen Auto Parts, i saw a set of jumper cables for ATV, PWC, and motorcycles. Ten bucks! Comes in a nice little zipper case and fits neatly in my left saddlebag with my other "in case" stuff. It's a neat, clean little package.

I will probably never use it for me, but it is good to know that it is there if I do need it or if someone else needs it.

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
jwen said:
Hey Loren,

Just glad Hedo was able to help and not at the wrong end of to many Coronas. ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!
I worked up a pretty good sweat hooking up CJ's cables...............quenched my thirst afterwards.

Just happy we were there to help.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I like riding with guys like you Richard, I get to be more like the grasshopper tha way. :D

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
An important thing to remember is that someone may have jumper cables and can get you started in the comfort of a parking lot instead of on the side of a road.

Once you get it started the alternator will recharge your battery in about 30 minutes. If you didn't run the battery down too far, your battery may not have suffered the incident.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts