GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to buy my Wing locally and had struck up a pretty good relationship with one of the salesmen. I stopped to see him one day and said I was ready to buy. I asked him to put together their best price. After his discussion with management he shot me their best price. I politely explained that I had done my homework (not too well, I didn't know about Hal) and that I could buy the same bike $2000+ cheaper somewhere else. The managers response was along the lines of thats fine, you won't get service from us. I told them I wanted to do business locally and do it with them but didn't feel the need to overpay. I also explained that with that purchase I would be needing lots of accessories and would likely keep coming back for maintenance and accessories which would result in additional revenue. The manager was pretty much a butt and would not budge off retail.

I ended up buying at a dealer 120 miles away. They were fantastic and saved me a ton of money. Further, I spent $1500 dollars for accessories and would push the bike there for service if I had to. These guys were great. I said I would never go back to the local dealer but one day broke down and took my wife there to try and find a helmet. I couldn't keep my mouth shut and told the salesman (a manager I think) that I had just bought a wing elsewhere. He immediately turned donkey and told me they would never service it and began mumbling as he turned and stomped off. I assured him that we would never allow them to service it so not to worry.

I guess they would rather make no money than to make a fair profit and get future sales.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Every dealer is different along with their bottom line.

But they could have handled the situation better, that's for sure.

Glad you got a great deal and a great dealer to!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had the same thing happen on the price about 3 years ago at MAPS. They wouldn't budge off the list price. I went to Bartlesville and saved over $3000.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Another example of Honda's attitude towards the customer. It's not like they have to beg people to open their dealerships. Seems that if Honda cared, they would give such dealers a couple chances for correction and then pull their plug - no parts, bikes, nada. A couple examples set would put an end to it, improve customer service everywhere, thus increasing sales and profits (maybe even move some backlogged inventory from the last five or so years).

But I'm and engineer. I think to logically to make money.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I find that attitude to be so insanely stupid that I cannot even fathom why they would do it. First of all, are they implying that they don't make a profit on service?

Second, do they not understand that they have an opportunity to use their service department to win you as a customer on future bike sales?

The only conceivable answer is that they have all the business they need already and simply don't want new customers.

I suggest you go to their web-site and see if they have a contact list for the owner or manager and send him the link to this thread. I also suggest you give us a clue as to who the dealer is so we can be sure to hurt their business as much as possible - they clearly deserve it.

One last thing, I want to be clear that I would not be offended by their pricing. I really don't get upset if a dealer want's to be higher priced than others. That is their business. But the attitude that they won't service you is just plain stupid.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
when i moved to arkansas, the two local dealers were great to do anything i wanted as for warranty, service, etc, even though i didnt buy it here

i tried them both when i bought a new one in october, but outrageously priced for sure

i didnt buy it in town, but on the way home from picking it up, i stopped and got new tires mounted localy, and they said, we make money on service as well, we would be happy to do whatever you need

not wanting to do service is just dumBBBBBB

ome dealers act like they are doing it for free......

·
Registered
571 Posts
I find that attitude to be so insanely stupid that I cannot even fathom why they would do it. First of all, are they implying that they don't make a profit on service?

Second, do they not understand that they have an opportunity to use their service department to win you as a customer on future bike sales?

The only conceivable answer is that they have all the business they need already and simply don't want new customers.

I suggest you go to their web-site and see if they have a contact list for the owner or manager and send him the link to this thread. I also suggest you give us a clue as to who the dealer is so we can be sure to hurt their business as much as possible - they clearly deserve it.

One last thing, I want to be clear that I would not be offended by their pricing. I really don't get upset if a dealer want's to be higher priced than others. That is their business. But the attitude that they won't service you is just plain stupid.
+1
At one of the dealers near me, the sales person couldn't be
bothered with pricing the bike the way I wanted it...
with a few extras, like CB, a hitch,etc. He told me I
would have to get that pricing from the parts/service dept.
I went back a couple of months later and got the same
response from another sales person...being kind of surprised,
I went over to where I thought the owners office was, and
just stood there looking kind of dumbfounded. The owner
came by and asked if I was being helped and I told him I
had a 1500 (no trade) and was going to buy an 1800 and his guy
couldn't give me a price...with add ons..done deal price.
He asked me for all the details and said he would have
a price for me the next day.
A month or so later, after I had done a little homework
and pretty much new the going rates, I went to another
dealer close to me and told the salesperson what I wanted,
and he listed all the things..and got some of the add on
pricing from the salesmanager, because he wasn't totally
familiar with Goldwing accesories ...anyway 15-mins or
so and the thing was priced out..item by item, and
took me to meet the service manager...25-year man.
The next day I bought it.

I had spent about $3,000 over a couple of years at the
first dealer on bike and snowmobile stuff. Haven't been
back since. Shawmut Hills Motorsports

I bought my bike from Village Motorsports...
The service manager spent time explaining different
things to me..and did a fine job of installing the extras.
I've called him with a couple of how to's and stopped
in a couple of times with questions...and he helps me
on the spot. His name is Duwayne. He is the reason
I would go there first for my next bike.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have read the original post and feel if the dealer wants to act that way fine. It's his loss

But, does he have the right to refuse to do service work for you? I believe my warrenty is good for any dealer, anywhere.

Spike

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I have read the original post and feel if the dealer wants to act that way fine. It's his loss

But, does he have the right to refuse to do service work for you? I believe my warranty is good for any dealer, anywhere.

Spike
But even if that is true, would you want a dealer like that working on ur bike after you forced him too:eek:4:

Last time at my local dealer I had called first getting a price for a front stone. He told me I was in luck as they just happened to have that tire on sale. When I arrived there 10 Min's later I was told that it was "to bad that I did not buy the bike there because the tire was 20% off But only if the bike was purchased at their dealer". I threw a stink in front of a few other customers and they gave it to me for the discounted price. They still soaked me $298 for the one tire which included $75 (1 hr labor) to mount it on the bike. Nothing wrong with giving a discount to those who buy the bikes from them, but when a person calls in and is told a price just to have it changed when they arrive is crap.
I bought my bike out of the area because the local would not deal with me on price even though I had way lower quotes from a couple of other dealers. Ended up buying from Monterey peninsula about 2 hrs away. Went to look at by myself and decided to buy it. No way to get it home and drive my car back. No problem they said, and loaded it up and delivered it free. About a 4 hr round trip for them. Also gave me an extended warranty at $350. Sales man was not pushy, was knowledgeable, and spent a lot of time with me going over the bike. Which reminds me. I need to call them and set up a time to go up there and get my valves checked and adjusted ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I bet I've been to the dealer that you're talking about. When I was shopping for a Goldwing two years ago, I went there and looked around, as they had a decent selection of Hondas, BMWs and other bikes. I asked them what their best price was on a Goldwing with ABS, and the salesman shot back a price that I knew was $3,500 more than Honda of Chanute or Bartlesville Cycle Sports. I ended up buying from Bartlesville because the price was a little better, the dealer was a little closer, and buying out of state saved me several hundred dollars in sales tax.

I think a successful salesperson will help fulfill needs and educate his or her clientel. The guy at the Wichita dealership just wanted the contents of my wallet.

·
Registered
902 Posts
"Stupid is as stupid does" - Mrs. Gump

It just goes to show that, for every stupid thing that can be done, there's an idiot waiting to bump into it. I've experienced similar things in other retail situations and it makes you wonder how long the business will last. Glad you found a good dealership. I drive about 100 miles round trip for the same reason you made your 120 miles...I like the dealership.

I tried to buy my Wing locally and had struck up a pretty good relationship with one of the salesmen. I stopped to see him one day and said I was ready to buy. I asked him to put together their best price. After his discussion with management he shot me their best price. I politely explained that I had done my homework (not too well, I didn't know about Hal) and that I could buy the same bike $2000+ cheaper somewhere else. The managers response was along the lines of thats fine, you won't get service from us. I told them I wanted to do business locally and do it with them but didn't feel the need to overpay. I also explained that with that purchase I would be needing lots of accessories and would likely keep coming back for maintenance and accessories which would result in additional revenue. The manager was pretty much a butt and would not budge off retail.

I ended up buying at a dealer 120 miles away. They were fantastic and saved me a ton of money. Further, I spent $1500 dollars for accessories and would push the bike there for service if I had to. These guys were great. I said I would never go back to the local dealer but one day broke down and took my wife there to try and find a helmet. I couldn't keep my mouth shut and told the salesman (a manager I think) that I had just bought a wing elsewhere. He immediately turned donkey and told me they would never service it and began mumbling as he turned and stomped off. I assured him that we would never allow them to service it so not to worry.

I guess they would rather make no money than to make a fair profit and get future sales.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
WOW...ya just can't make this stuff up. Makes me really appreciate my dealer

I went in on a Tuesday, although they had Wings on the floor, the silver I wanted was in a crate. We talked about price and then I added on a bunch of accessories some of which they needed to order, they installed them all.

So basically the built me the motorcycle that I wanted.

I was to pick it up the following Friday....I pulled out my chekbook expecting to put down a deposit....they refused to take a deposit...didn't want one....my handshake was good enough!!

Jeepers, ya don't find that very often these days!

And you know what...they get all the business I ca give them.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Save that butthead the trouble of going to the bank and depositing your money in his account... and be sure to remember how he wanted to
screw you when you need to buy anything for your bike.. plus tell everyone you know where the better dealer is...

cosmic

·
Registered
534 Posts
I hear about the same from the local dealer here - MSRP + (st)dealer setup + taxes & tags + uncrating fee. So the same story - went else where and saved 2500+. Took it to local dealer for service, they told me they wouldn't service it, I picked up their counter phone with out asking to use it, called the Honda district rep (had dealt with him before so had his number in my address book), told him what was going on, he said put on the store manager, five minute s later my bike was in for the first oil/filter change at the advertised price. Never a problem with local service since. I suggest you make a call to YOUR rep first and tell him what's going on and what can he do about it.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
You can all b!tch about your crappy dealers, but I'm hear to tell
you they sell those 1800's to someone else at their price and sell
as many as they can get...

WHY?????

because you still go somewhere else and buy a Honda" if you
guys that aren't happy with the way your treated at a Honda
dealer went to a BMW,Yamaha,Harley,Kawasaki,Victory dealer
and bought their products instead of a Honda. Honda would
take notice in their loss of sales and close the bad dealers.

When people buy from another Honda dealer and still buy a
Honda, Hondas bottom line still looks great thanks to you all"

Going to another Honda dealer does not send Honda any
message at all. They only understand you killing their
sales off completely.. This is the same reason Honda won't
fix 1800 problems without being sued first.

I'm not deffending Honda at all, I'm just stating the truth!!

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well you might not want to go to the trouble to fuss with any dealer with that kind of attitude, but your warranty is good at any dealer. Is it worth fussing with them if you want service, and is the mechanic for a serious problem good? Will they hold you up out of spite if you do fuss with them, do not think so as you will now be in the service department.

I see that attitude sometimes too and really do not understand it at all. But you only see that attitude in the sales staff, and those who sell the service programs and the sales manager. You will not see it from the shop owner and the service people themselves.

Seems the sales staff seems to take things personally and will convey a bad impression to the customer. Happens all the time, they act like little children throwing a temper tantrum. :joke:

I purchased my current bike from a local dealer. I am hard to deal with on a sale as I know a whole lot about the bikes, the prices, and how to work on and fix them. I know exactly what the honest fair price is before I even go looking. So you banter around for half a day and finally do get a fair price and then the staff when you sit down to sign the paperwork tries their best to sell you the in-house service package, and the extended warranty. (I got mine from Hal at one heck of a price) at a very inflated price.
You can see the ice cubes starting to form as you turn down one thing and then another. By the time you get out of there it is pretty chilly!!! The smiles and handshakes are gone and there is a new attitude, they do seem to take it personal.

Once you get past those guys , I think most of the time you will find the shop owner and service staff very nice and very helpful.

Just my observation of the whole thing.

Kit

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Motorcycle Jack, how did u get the rep's phone #?

ksiceman, I think that u should call Honda at their toll free # 866 784 1870 and advise them of bad service and support. Maybe if Honda gets enough complaints, they will at least attempt some correction.

At the worst, u have wasted a little time and cost Mother a little phone time. At best maybe Honda will wake up.

I would also think they are required to do warranty work but mine wouldn't do the frame recall so am not sure. Not sure I would want them to do the work if they didn't want to anyway.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
You can all b!tch about your crappy dealers, but I'm hear to tell
you they sell those 1800's to someone else at their price and sell
as many as they can get...
Uh the one I was trying to deal on was still there several months later!! Was finally marked down, and then, and only then did it sell. Believe me no one was coming from out of town to buy it at that price, and no one in town was that dumb.

if I understand correctly I guess what you are saying is that I should buy a brand of motorcycle that I do not like nor want in order to get Honda to notice. Don't think so. Besides the dealer that I did purchase from was great!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts