GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thank you for posting a link to a credible source. My friends who rely on Facebook have bought into all kinds of nonsense these last few weeks. That's ok for oil brand battles, but actively harmful when our health is at stake.

·
Love The DCT
11,378 Posts
Thank you for posting a link to a credible source. My friends who rely on Facebook have bought into all kinds of nonsense these last few weeks. That's ok for oil brand battles, but actively harmful when our health is at stake.
Besides the John Hopkins University CSSE data above, this is the other source of data I would be looking at if I were in your state.

·
Registered
8,820 Posts

Pay less attention to the quantities, but pay close attention to the curve - direction and 'steepness' of the angle.

·
Registered
648 Posts
The curve is important however you need to keep in mind that there were very few test kits available so the actual number of those infected is coming in a quick procession as the tests are being issued in the hundreds of thousands. If we had the ability to mass test over the last month the upward curve might not be so steep. Either way there is no doubt there are a lot of infected in our country.

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
<...>If we had the ability to mass test over the last month the upward curve might not be so steep. Either way there is no doubt there are a lot of infected in our country.
Disagree. As I was watching our county medical director discuss the first local casualty on the evening news bulletin after the 6pm news, my wife and I started putting together a timeline of the last illness we had on this side of the screen. It has nearly all of the markers that are now being used to determine screening with those test kits that are just now becoming a little more available.

Pretty sure that our infection start was right at the beginning of February, using the 3 to 14 days before first signs of the illness are visible. Recall that it was first or second week of January when this was first seen here in the US. :oops:

I'm sure there's a decent percentage of us that are going to be unaccounted for in the statistics of those that have recovered, ether without medical intervention, or with a minimal amount of intervention. Thus the curve steepness will only be accounting for those that did require medical assistance - even if it was a test, and a 14 day quarantine at home. I feel that curve just can't tell the full scope of the scale this will be (e.g. it's probably steeper than it's being portrayed at this time.)

·
Registered
834 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
WOW! THAT curve for America is WAY sharper UP than in any of the other countries.
Those data are the results from testing people , not the actual number of infected people which is much bigger.
Of course if a country, like US, started testing people too late when the infection has already spread you see the difference in this kind of graphic.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Wait 'til a vast number of people become restless with no work and hungry with no food. It may be worse than the virus.

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
"Epidemiology is the study of the distribution and patterns of health-events, health-characteristics and their causes or influences in defined populations." (Wikipedia)

These are the people with MD's, PhD's and other advanced study degrees, that seem to have a pretty good clue that stuff was going to happen even before it did.

Someone with a bachelor's degree in economics from the Wharton School gonna dole out public health and other medical advice?

Naaah. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
"Epidemiology is the study of the distribution and patterns of health-events, health-characteristics and their causes or influences in defined populations." (Wikipedia)

These are the people with MD's, PhD's and other advanced study degrees, that seem to have a pretty good clue that stuff was going to happen even before it did.

Someone with a bachelor's degree in economics from the Wharton School gonna dole out public health and other medical advice?

Naaah. :rolleyes:
I've paid a lot of attention to someone with a degree from Wharton, a person who has consulted extensively with MDs and others with advanced degrees and subsequently provided sound advice. I've personally know of many individuals with advanced degrees with lots of knowledge, but they are not prophets and often lack foresight, prudence, wisdom and simple common sense.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've paid a lot of attention to someone with a degree from Wharton, a person who has consulted extensively with MDs and others with advanced degrees and subsequently provided sound advice. I've personally know of many individuals with advanced degrees with lots of knowledge, but they are not prophets and often lack foresight, prudence, wisdom and simple common sense.
I bet we're talking about two different Wharton grads.

;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm a bit of a geek, and I've found several excellent data sources.

I really like this one because you can easily re-sort on any available category, and by clicking on USA you can drill down to individual states:

This one is particularly enlightening because it starts each country's trend line at the same point in time, such as the day each country had its 100th case:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts