GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I was taking my exhaust extensions off to put on some new Kuryakyn ones when lo and behold I snapped 2 of the bolts right off. I wasn't turning the ratchet too hard (I didn't think) but they broke anyway. Now I get the fun of drilling them out and re-tapping the holes again. Wish HOA had put a little anti sieze stuff on the darn things prior to selling me the bike, LOL. Anyone out there know if I use anti-sieze compound on the bolts holding the exhaust extensions if it will make them any easier to remove the next time I have to do so???

P.S. Anyone know if there is an easy way to take the exhaust pipes off the bike? (one of the bolts that broke is on top)...

Thanks in Advance.

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
The mufflers come off easy. Loosen the muffler clamps at the front of the muffler then remove the bolt holding the muffler under the saddlebag. Start wiggling the muffler and pulling toward the rear of the bike.

Anit seize will help. The hardest part is when you are reinstalling the mufflers. Those heat shield at the front of the muffler can be a bear to realign.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Be sure to use a anti-seize rated for high temps - like exhaust or furance work - and yes it will make a BIG difference

ken

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Thought anti sieze would work but wasn't sure. Never did much mechanicing when I was younger. Don't quite have the knowledge base some others might. LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts