GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While checking the air I noticed an exhaust leak and it’s coming from the right side exhaust. Looks like a tab is missing. Can it be fixed or do I need a new exhaust system? Will this cause any issues with the motor if not fixed? Guessing exhaust pipes are going to be pricey and don’t think I need aftermarket ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
The little round hole in the muffler is supposed to be there, it is to get rid of moisture that collects in the muffler from condensation. The little bracket, with it's own hole in it, if that is loose, it can be spot or tack welded back onto the muffler either by taking the muffler off or just touching it with a welder, by a GOOD welder. Not advisable to weld directly on a M/C because of it's electrical system!!!, but a knowledgeable welder may be able to do it on that particular spot.

If the bracket is not loose or rattling I would just keep an eye on it or just solder it on. Even a epoxy adhesive would work because the bracket receives no stress..

Tip: welding info: Muffler is stainless steel metal, bracket is plain chrome plated steel.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I had the tab break loose on my 2004. I just drilled a hole in the bracket and muffler and put in a stainless self tapping screw. The mufflers are stainless and the tab regular steel. If you are going to get it welded let the welder know this.

As said before, the hole below the tab is a water drain. The left side also has one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both very much. Never noticed anything on the left side but it’s there and puffing air just like the right side. Nothing is loose so I’m glad nothing to fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts