GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used one of those nifty laser temp gauges on the chrome portions of our exhaust system? I'd like to get rid of all my chrome, and want to see if I can use designer powder colors on it, or if I'm stuck to the high temp stuff.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
doing the mufflers?

or the chrome heat shields near passenger boards?

·
Love The DCT
11,788 Posts
Has anyone used one of those nifty laser temp gauges on the chrome portions of our exhaust system? I'd like to get rid of all my chrome, and want to see if I can use designer powder colors on it, or if I'm stuck to the high temp stuff.
If you measure the temp of the chrome portions of the exhaust using a non contact temp gauge, you need to use one that you can adjust the emissivity value to .10 which is the value for polished chrome/chromium. Otherwise, you are going to get an erroneous temperature reading. Non contact temp gauges where you cannot change the emissivity value usually have a fixed value of .9 to .95. I have a Raytek Raynger ST-2 and it has a fixed emissivity setting of .95 :doorag:

·
Outta Here by M2
1 Posts
Infrared heat sensors won't give an accurate reading from a reflective surface, unless you have a high dollar one were you can adjust the emissivity to match the material. I've got a cheap one, and the manual flat out says it doesn't read correctly. I tested it once. I read the temp of a shiny piece of machinery. Sensor said 100 degrees. My thoughts are, "That ain't hot." Wrong! Blister healed in about a week. :eek:4:

If the weather would cooperate, I could check the temp for you with a contact thermocouple. I've got one that reads to 2100F.

For or everyone calling BS on getting an accurate reading, Google emissivity and infrared heat sensors. Also the laser is only there for aiming, not reading temps.

Emissivity for oxidized steel is .8
Emissivity for polished chrome is .06

john

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you measure the temp of the chrome portions of the exhaust using a non contact temp gauge, you need to use one that you can adjust the emissivity value to .10 which is the value for polished chrome/chromium. Otherwise, you are going to get an erroneous temperature reading. Non contact temp gauges where you cannot change the emissivity value usually have a fixed value of .9 to .95. I have a Raytek Raynger ST-2 and it has a fixed emissivity setting of .95 :doorag:
Ok, I'll rephrase, anyone done what he recommends with a gun that can do what he says it needs to? :) For Big Bang Theory watchers, I think I now know how Penny feels.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree

Ok, I'll rephrase, anyone done what he recommends with a gun that can do what he says it needs to? :) For Big Bang Theory watchers, I think I now know how Penny feels.
I'm with you, one of my favorite shows too. Whoever writes Sheldon's stuff is a genius in his own right. :lol:

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I did this years ago with a car with headers.

If I remember correctly it was somewhere near 1100 degrees all the time under load or at idle.

I thought that was weird until I started reading about gas engines always needing the same fuel air ratio.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I did take temp readings several years back with the same thing in mind. I don't remember off hand what my readings were, but the folks at the powder coating shop that I use said it would not be a problem.
I never did follow through on it though so I cannot say for sure that it would work, but I did paint my exhaust tips and they have held up well.

I did not use header paint on them, just an etching primer and engine paint for the black and regular enamel for the lettering.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Realized after a re-read that this could've come off as rude. That wasn't the intention, was just supposed to be funny. Seriously appreciate the input from those of you who know about this stuff.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Same here!!

Realized after a re-read that this could've come off as rude. That wasn't the intention, was just supposed to be funny. Seriously appreciate the input from those of you who know about this stuff.
:agree: What he said. Gary

Hey Flip, Do you know any of the guys down there that hang out at Triple Tree Aerodrome? Have some friends that live in the Greenville area. Noticed you had Model Airplanes in your profile.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:agree: What he said. Gary

Hey Flip, Do you know any of the guys down there that hang out at Triple Tree Aerodrome? Have some friends that live in the Greenville area. Noticed you had Model Airplanes in your profile.
I do know some guys that hang out there somewhat regularly. Been there myself a few times. Neat place, and very nice of Hartness to open up his property to those of us that enjoy the hobby. I've actually been mum on the hobby for over a year at this point, but hoping to get back into flying this year. You coming to 'The Nall'?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Mine are currently laying on the garage floor, gloss black powder coating over the entire muffler surface.
We decide to coat the entire part, easier than masking.
If it comes off the non chrome area not worried, can't see it any way.
I figured it can't be to hot in the scope of the exhaust system or the chrome would have heat discoloration issues.
So decided to try it and see what happens.
If it does not hold will probably send them to some one like Jet Hot for coating.
Illinois weather is starting to turn around so can start working on the bike again.
Will know more in a month or so.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Might be Wingin it!

I do know some guys that hang out there somewhat regularly. Been there myself a few times. Neat place, and very nice of Hartness to open up his property to those of us that enjoy the hobby. I've actually been mum on the hobby for over a year at this point, but hoping to get back into flying this year. You coming to 'The Nall'?
Missed them the last few years but we should be able to come down for the last Fri/Sat. Wouldn't want to miss the BBQ!;) Have friends that have been asking us to stay with them as often as we can get to any of the flyins. Have wife's nephews wedding in the Adirondacks over memorial day wkend to go to but no conflicts this yr I hope. I'll pm you when I am sure we can make it and when. Gary

Edit: Sorry to jump into a thread with this.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I did not see it that way, but then I get "rude" sometimes. :yes1:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts