GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep ... me again with yet another question. As I feel my way around this place and settle in I was wondering if y'all ever do anything with the exhaust .... like different pipes and / or mufflers? I don't think I would ever mess with the sound ... or lack there of on my Wing. My VTX was loud ... I wore ear phones on loud just to hear my IPOD. It's nice cruising at 70mph and actually hear the radio. I know about the "loud pipes save lives" philosophy .... but I feel safer on the Wing because I am more aware of my surroundings.

So I am just wondering what the rest say and are there different exhaust set ups for performance gains?

Len

·
Registered
342 Posts
The key to the 1800 engine s the ECM. On this bike it's hardwired and the ROM/PROM is soldered to the PCB. Meaning there is no easy way to change or upgrade th fuel curves without being able to change the ECM. Any changes to the engine woul likely have a negative effect. If you could change the ECM fuel rails,pump and pressure regulators would also need updates, then maybe new plugs and coils and....well you see here this could go.

I would ask though, why would you need more power? The engine has a torque curve that would put a Mac truck to shame...just say'n.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not looking for more power or noise. I'm just asking a bunch of questions trying to learn more about this beast from guys like you ... :shrug: ... great info and I thank you for it .... more questions to follow I am sure ... ;)

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Generally speaking there are a handful of pipes you can buy for the wing. None really give you any significant power gains. They mostly are for looks and sound. None will rattle any windows as you drive by. They just give the bike a deeper growl. I personally have never heard a set of aftermarket pipes for the wing I didn't like. I think they sound great.

Now for specifics do a search here and you will have plenty to read.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Most run stock pipes with maybe a tip replacement for a different look. As stated, a couple replacement mufflers are available, with the latest being from Vance & Hines, but they offer only a mild change in tone.

I've had Kury turn down tips for 4 years, with no chrome peeling issues.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I have had 2 sets of Cobras, 1 set of AlleyCats and now have a set of TorqueMasters without the small baffles. They still have the 16 inch baffles in them. I really like these. Haven't heard the NEW Kurys on a bike yet.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
No aftermarket companies including exhaust makers make anything that will increase the hp of a GW engine an amount that you would ever notice.

The companies feel that the average GW owner is more concerned about mileage so theres not enough of a market to warrant the production of high performance componets like tunable ECM's etc. that are needed to make pipes work properly.

·
Registered
262 Posts
loud pipes....are loud pipes, you never hear someone say " I didnt hear the bike" the common statment is " I didnt see it"

you are more easily fatigued with noise leading to poor judgment or other related issues that could lead to a fatal accident

some will even target noisy bikes, I have heard a couple stories of bikers run off the road by pi$$ed of cagers

enjoy the ride, put on a bunch of safe and enjoyable miles!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts