GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Bought a used 2008 Wing with about 31,000 miles on it. I've had it for about 3 months and put over 3,000 miles on it. The best fuel economy I have gotten is 36 mpg. Shouldn't I be getting better economy that this. Is there something I should look to do to better it?

Thanks in advance
HaRvey

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Once you get the corrected # of miles traveled I believe the average will be in the 36-38 range. I have heard of higher numbers however no one has shown me any numbers proving it. Up until 09 the earlier bikes showed more miles on the odometer than actually driven. Mine was 7% high. If you have a GPS unit use it and compare to the bike or install a speedometer correction device.

Wayne

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
I Bought a used 2008 Wing with about 31,000 miles on it. I've had it for about 3 months and put over 3,000 miles on it. The best fuel economy I have gotten is 36 mpg. Shouldn't I be getting better economy that this. Is there something I should look to do to better it?

Thanks in advance
HaRvey

That is about what I get on my 08. If you run 60 MPH on the slab you may get close to 40.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
36-38 on a good day. Average when not pulling the trailer is around 32-34. Pulling the trailer down the highway, 32 if taking it easy, 29 to 31 if traveling at 70-75.

If you have things like Baker Wings (and the lower wings), aftermarket running lights, etc - all that adds to the lack of aerodynamics this bike has. You are after all pushing a barn door down the highway.

End result - you're getting decent mileage. Other bikes like the FJR get better, but not as cushy of a ride.

Oh - and welcome to the board.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Economy

Your millage seem about right. Your speed and load make a big difference. Never mind the millage or the cost of gas, just ride and enjoy. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have an '08 as well and also do most of my driving at sea level. Around town going to and from work, freeway and streets I also average about 36. If I get on the open highway and run for several hours I get about 38 at 75 mph. When I set the cruise at 65 I get 40 to 42 on long runs or if I am at high elevation. The best I ever got was a long run at 65 mph in a high elevation I got 44. (one time only). For me the biggest difference is my speed. In SoCal I have trouble going slower then 75 not in rush hour and then in rush hour I am then down to 20-25 which also taps fuel economy.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
In the hot weather, the GL1800 achieves much better mileage. On a warm day out in the country on 2-lanes, I can get between 40-44 mpg consistantly. However, in the winter with short work-commute miles accounting for the bulk of my mileage, it's down to 31-34mpg. I just did 400 miles on an Eastern Shore (Maryland) loop last Saturday. Spring temps and some higher speeds on the highway got me 38.4mpg overall. The GL1800 engine does pretty well I think, considering it's pushing well over 800 pounds + me with a large/wide fairing and oversized Tulsa windshield.

:thumbup:

Thanks in advance
HaRvey

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
your mileage is in the ball park. I get 40-42mpg (using the miles on the odometer, which is off some) consistently.
But today, I got some of the worst mileage I've ever gotten---there was a northbound Chevrolet truck in a great big hurry to get somewhere north on I-55, so since I had a very fast moving rabbit, I just dropped in behind her, and covered some serious miles quickly!! The mpg suffered but I sure got home quicker!

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
I have always got between 42-44 since new on my 09. Mostly 2up mixture of twisties and highway. I'm not a real aggressive rider.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
My '02 has consistently delivered about 40MPG, regardless of load. Now, tootling around on back roads gives considerably better and cruising at 70+ on the slab considerably worse; but average is and has been 40.

prs

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
In the hot weather, the GL1800 achieves much better mileage. On a warm day out in the country on 2-lanes, I can get between 40-44 mpg consistantly. However, in the winter with short work-commute miles accounting for the bulk of my mileage, it's down to 31-34mpg. I just did 400 miles on an Eastern Shore (Maryland) loop last Saturday. Spring temps and some higher speeds on the highway got me 38.4mpg overall. The GL1800 engine does pretty well I think, considering it's pushing well over 800 pounds + me with a large/wide fairing and oversized Tulsa windshield.

:thumbup:
Another thing that affects fuel economy is elevation.
At sea level the air is more dense, therefore more wind resistance --> poorer mpg.
And while increasing your cruising speed tends to decrease mpg, doing so at 5,000-7,000 feet has less of a negative impact.

I live and do most of my riding at sea level. My '02 Wing has averaged 37 mpg for the last 12 years.
The exceptions to that have been notable:

* On a SS1k ride in the summer of 2012 - where my average moving speed was 65+mph, I averaged nearly 41 mpg. The highest tank was nearly 46mph - flying along Hwy 395 at 80+, in 90* temps, at 4,000 feet elevation; and then climbing over Monitor pass and riding around South Lake Tahoe (6200+ele.).

* Last week I did a 2 1/2 day, 2000 mile ride to Tucumcari, NM.
The overall average was 39.4mpg. Of the dozen or so fuelings, 2 tanks were only 31.3 & 33.5mpg - through the (dense, sea level) California desert @ 70 mph, with strong & gusty headwinds.
But two tanks averaged 47.6 & 46.0 eastbound on I-40 @ 80mph+, at elevation 4000-6800 ft. (With a gusty side/tailwind)
On that same road the next day, heading into the same wind at the same speed, I still got 38mpg+.

Heat and/or higher elevation will increase your fuel economy.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Another thing that affects mileage is fuel quality.

The more alcohol blended into fuel the less mileage you get.

Works out great for fuel companies, they can make more $$$ for fuel as we have to buy more due to lower mileage and most people don't realize it.

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
Once you get the corrected # of miles traveled I believe the average will be in the 36-38 range. I have heard of higher numbers however no one has shown me any numbers proving it. Up until 09 the earlier bikes showed more miles on the odometer than actually driven. Mine was 7% high. If you have a GPS unit use it and compare to the bike or install a speedometer correction device.

Wayne
7% high I sure don't ever see anything like that! mine is about 4%, I ride a lot with a guy that has an 09 and my 02 odometer usually shows slightly less miles than his 09

1 - 13 of 13 Posts