GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off the phone with cycle gadgets. They wanted $69 for the ram mount for the xm roady; for the Gold Wing. I think this is too much. Any suggestions on mounting the xm roady on the Gold WIng will be appreciated. There must be a cheaper way. Thanks,JIM

·
Registered
317 Posts
That $69.00 probably includes three different pieces. The mount for the bar on your bike, the extension arm and the mount to hold your xm along with the hardware.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Jim ... doesn't matter WHAT you want to mount, the RAM system is pricey. OTOH, it works exactly as advertised. I spent a little over $100 to get the RAM mount and camcorder/camaera mount and a drink holder ... which is ridiculous when you think about it. However ... fins something that fits on a Wing (and works) that isn't expnesive.
BTW ... I've used my camcorder mount for several thousand miles and was very happy with it, so I spend ANOTHER $25r so to get adapters for my GPS/PDA.
8)

·
Registered
837 Posts
The same parts for mounting the SkiFi XM cost me $75. I went a less expensive way to mount my GPS V and it will eventually give out. It has a lot of vibration in it. The ram mount has much less vibration, and the quality is far superior to what I'm using on the opposite handle bar. I'll get a ram mount setup for the gps as soon as I decide if I'm going to upgrade to a new gps unit or not.

However, some are using velcro to mount the Roady on top of the fairing pocket, or to the cover just under the key. Some even put it inside one of the pockets. It's up to you. For me, the quality of the ram mount system and ease of use makes the price worth it.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I used the double clear pocket pouch over the left pocket. Makes latching the lid hard but ok. Finally got tired of removing it at every stop and just installed the commandor RF model. The audio level is less, but it has the option of adjusting this. Did not play with this yet. Like the Commandor better. The skyphi in the pouch was only able to push the preset buttons, to tight a fit. Glad bag makes bowl covers that look like mini shower caps, use for light rain protection. My commandor is velcro to the honda emblem with enough wire to put in the pocket for bad weather.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I think, that when you think about it, the Ram mount is not all that expensive, comparatively. The Ram mount has a working purpose and it will work for you many troubled years. Now lets compare that to a Chrome lower cowl, or a chrome fairing moulding.

Just my two cents

Bulldog

·
Registered
90 Posts
Chrome vs Ram Mounts

Bulldog, When you compare the price of Chrome vs Ram Mounts, I agree that Chrome is more expensive; BUT, Chrome is a "Safety" consideration and should not be compared to "convenience" items like Ram mounts. :lol:
BTW, I used the 6 hole Ram Mount for my GPS but I like the way some others have mounted their GPS directly to the 6 hole Texelent clamp. The Ram Mount is great but it does take up quite a bit of space. SLIDE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts