GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Smoky
1,191 Posts
alabamaWing,
I have not run that tire but I think that the consensus of most Darksiders on this forum is to run a run flat tire! The CT on my bike is a run flat and I have nothing but good thinks to say about it. Some have said that the non-run flats have too soft of sidewalls unless you get a non-run flat that has a very high load rating making the sidewalls very stiff.
Hope this helps. I'm sure more will chine in.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes you can. See info in my signature :smile: !
I ask this because (and maybe I am not educated in the RunFlat technology) but if it is hot and the bike sits for a long time will the beads stick to the inside of the tire in one place?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I ask this because (and maybe I am not educated in the RunFlat technology) but if it is hot and the bike sits for a long time will the beads stick to the inside of the tire in one place?
Negitive! If the rubber compound used to manufacture the tire could become soft enough for this to occure at any normal operating temps then it would roll up like a handful of putty once the bike began its roll. Not to worry about that. Also the weight of the beads themselves aren't sufficient enough to settle into any substance with a density thicker than Jello. Put them beads in there and ride on! I love mine. No more wheel weights on my wing.

·
Smoky
1,191 Posts
alabamaWing,
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you are thinking that because it is called a run flat that it will have some sort of stuff inside so it will seal a punture. The run flat tire is made so the sidewalls will support a vehicle with zero air pressure. It does not have the capibility to seal a punture. I have had Dyna Beads in my rear ContiProContact run flat car tire for about 17K miles and had it in the front tire that I took off with over 16K and they have keep my tire in balance every mile I have traveled. When I had a new front tire mounted up, I reused the Dyna Beads again so no cost to balance! Just another plus for the Dyna Beads :yes1: !
Hope this has answered your questions! If not we'll give her another try :smile: !

·
Smoky
1,191 Posts

Did I just order the wrong tire?

FRONT BATTLAX BT021 120/70ZR18
Rider Steve,
The tire that you ordered is not the tire that we have been using. See my signature for the one that we have been using. Probably the one you ordered will be okay. You can be the official tester for the tire that you bought. It my be the real deal...who knows! I have no problem with the Battlax that I am running but I will buy the Pirelli Sport Demon 130/70/18 next.

PS. The Bridgestone - Battlax BT-45 130/70H18 that we are running on the front is a motorcycle tire made for the REAR of a motorcycle!

·
DSI Keeper
9,106 Posts
... tire in balance every mile I have traveled. When I had a new front tire mounted up, I reused the Dyna Beads again so no cost to balance! Just another plus for the Dyna Beads :yes1: !
Hope this has answered your questions! If not we'll give her another try :smile: !
OK Frosty, you sold me on these beads. I just got mine today. So tell me how you plan to collect them for reuse?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alabamaWing,
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you are thinking that because it is called a run flat that it will have some sort of stuff inside so it will seal a punture. The run flat tire is made so the sidewalls will support a vehicle with zero air pressure. It does not have the capibility to seal a punture. I have had Dyna Beads in my rear ContiProContact run flat car tire for about 17K miles and had it in the front tire that I took off with over 16K and they have keep my tire in balance every mile I have traveled. When I had a new front tire mounted up, I reused the Dyna Beads again so no cost to balance! Just another plus for the Dyna Beads :yes1: !
That is exactly what I was thinking. Thought it had some goo or something in it. Thanks

R

·
0 Posts
Rider Steve,
The tire that you ordered is not the tire that we have been using. See my signature for the one that we have been using. Probably the one you ordered will be okay. You can be the official tester for the tire that you bought. It my be the real deal...who knows! I have no problem with the Battlax that I am running but I will buy the Pirelli Sport Demon 130/70/18 next.

PS. The Bridgestone - Battlax BT-45 130/70H18 that we are running on the front is a motorcycle tire made for the REAR of a motorcycle!
I was wondering if the tire size I ordered is correct?

·
Smoky
1,191 Posts
OK Frosty, you sold me on these beads. I just got mine today. So tell me how you plan to collect them for reuse?
Hey Murgie,
All I can say is that the beads have worked for me so I see no need not to continue to use them.
When I had the front tire that I had the beads in dismounted, I told the tire man that I had the beads in it. I ask him to be careful dismounting so as not to spill all the beads. He did his best and I lost only a very small amount. Not enough to worry about. I took a small Dixie cup to scoop them up and a plastic lunch bag to put them in. Put them in the newly mounted tire at home. I will tell you this. I read this on the GL1800 forum somewhere. I will remove wheel from the bike. Let all the air out of tire and remove the valve core. Then I will take a 1" hole saw attached to my cordless drill and cut a hole in the tread part of the tire. Then I will turn tire around to hole and let them dump out into some kind of container. After new tire is mounted, I will put the beads back in.
Oh yeah. Murgie, when you have the new tire mounted.....ask the tire man to be careful and not slop a bunch of tire lube in the inside the tire or the beads will stick to the lube and put the tire out of balance. It's no big deal for the tire man. He just needs to be aware of the need to keep the lube out of the inside of the tire. With that being said....my tire guy was careful on the three tires I've used the beads in and I have not had a problem one!
If I didn't answer all your questions...send me a PM and I'll send you my cell phone number!

·
DSI Keeper
9,106 Posts
I will have to talk that tire mounter about too much lube.

"Hey Murgie, watch how much lube ya using"

"Yessir, boss"

Got that covered. I mounted them back last summer, but couldn't figure out how to attach weights. It needed about 1 1/2 oz. The chrome is so slick, I was worried about the weights slinging off.

Thanks for all your explanations.

·
Smoky
1,191 Posts
I will have to talk that tire mounter about too much lube.

"Hey Murgie, watch how much lube ya using"

"Yessir, boss"

Got that covered. I mounted them back last summer, but couldn't figure out how to attach weights. It needed about 1 1/2 oz. The chrome is so slick, I was worried about the weights slinging off.

Thanks for all your explanations.

No problem Murgie.
Those sure are some purdy wheels ya got there :biggrin: !

·
Smoky
1,191 Posts
I was wondering if the tire size I ordered is correct?
Rider Steve,
Sorry I didn't answer that in my post. I would not say it is the wrong tire but the stock size is 130/70H18. I'm not sure but I would think you can use this tire and not have a problem but this is only my opinion. Maybe someone with more knowledge on this subject will chine in. I think stick405 has used the 120/70-16. Maybe he will be able to answer your question for you!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Did I just order the wrong tire?

FRONT BATTLAX BT021 120/70ZR18
Don't mean to hijack a rear tire thread to a front tire thread. However, since you asked. You have just ordered the the tire I will be trying out next. I found it about 6 months ago and lost it. Ali-Gator stumbled across it so here we go again. I have had the Bax BT-45 got 16400 miles out of it. I now have the Dem. Sport at 5500 miles and plan on trying this tire you have just purchased. If you are game, go ahead and try it out. There are two things I'm looking for. 1: It is designed as a front tire. What characteristics are evident because it is a front on the front and not a rear on the front. 2: It is touted as having less vibration. Am wondering if this is the same as less buzz.

Good luck on the tire. It should do well for you. Let us know your observations. Here's a link to more detailed ramblings on all these front tires we have been playing around with... Cheers....:doorag:
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202089

1 - 20 of 21 Posts