GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was putting in SoCal led Brake / Running LED's in Saddlebag tail lights. When I first put them in they didn't work - however - when I turned the ignition on the brake lights stayed on constantly (I have a flashing brake light). Then - when I turned the LED around the tail light worked correctly and the brake light was off - everything normal.
My question is - why was the brake light on when the tail light was not working (just one tail light not working at a time) ? It did it on each tail light as I was changing them.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Some LED lights are polarity sensitive. They should work no matter which way they plug in, but some don't. I had a set once that smoked my fuse.

Posted with my Galaxy through TapaTalk

·
Registered
849 Posts
LED's are polarity sensitive - they will only work when installed correctly... Your brake light coming on was probably a sneak path thru a diode or other path in the LED lights or circuit...

Les

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
There is no real mystery to the brake light setup of the wing 7443, just a ground, +12v running (dim) and +12v brake (bright).

I got three sets of LEDs off eBay to use with EC's flasher system. One fellow sent me 7440 (one filament style) bulbs which were clearly marked dual intensity but were indeed single intensity having only two contacts. I got a refund - twice. I got another set from eBay that were clearly marked as replacements for 7443 and they arrived with the necessary four contacts but they smoked and fried my fuse instantly. After the seller tried to tell me I needed to put a resistor inline which was never mentioned in the listing, I got a refund for those. I do wish Lewis would sell a decent set of 7443 LEDs for his flasher.

So, there I was with a $40 flasher and no LEDs. Searching I found LED dual intensity that flashed all by themselves, no wires to cut and splice. They flash for a few seconds then go steady when you apply the brakes. I tried them in the trunk, but they did not work very well there because the bulbs "stand up" inside the housing and the LEDs did a dismal job. I moved them to the saddle bags where they work well enough, but still not ideal.

Putting LEDs into housings designed for incandescent bulbs is sometimes tricky and most times results are less than ideal.

If you visit this page, >CLICK ME<, I have detailed videos showing the dim trunk placement compared to the saddlebag placement, pictures and links for all that I did until I settled on my current setup shown below.

·
Registered
496 Posts
LED's are polarity sensitive, LED means Light Emitting Diode and it works just like any diode, they only pass current in one direction. There are two types of LED's, Common-Cathode and Common-Anode depending on which ones you have will depend on how they are wired. In a common cathode LED the voltage/current flows into the anode and out the cathode, it is just the opposite in a common anode LED.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,198 Posts
LED's are polarity sensitive, LED means Light Emitting Diode and it works just like any diode, they only pass current in one direction. There are two types of LED's, Common-Cathode and Common-Anode depending on which ones you have will depend on how they are wired. In a common cathode LED the voltage/current flows into the anode and out the cathode, it is just the opposite in a common anode LED.
Actually, common anode or common cathode is referring to how they are wired in an array. Common cathode means there's more than one diode sharing the negative/cathode lead and common anode are wired so they share the power wire or positive lead coming to them. Real current always flows from the cathode to the anode, but convention current flow is taught to help simplify how circuits work and is taught anode to cathode.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Check out cruiseman he sent an email discussing how to properly install leds on a wing
method to do check out cruiseman is????

Oh, and just a PS. When you install LEDs for replacements of incandescent, you should get the LED in color and not white. IE RED for Tail/Brake and AMBER for signals.

All LEDs themselves are polarity sensitive, but in replacement LED assemblies for incandescent wedge bulbs, any LED assembly worth its salt will not care about polarity and you can plug them in either way. Some are polarity sensitive in that they won't work at all when plugged in one way so they need to be rotated 180° and re-inserted. I did have a set that fried itself and there were no markings on it indicating which way they needed to be. Both fried and I find it not too unusual that I would happen to plug both of them in backward. One reason I don't gamble, play the horses or play the lotto. When I buy a scratch off lottery card, the second I touch it the numbers change and it becomes a loser.

c'est la vie

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still don't understand why my brake lights were on continuously when the LED's were is a particular way - and not on when they were rotated 180 degrees.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,198 Posts
Still don't understand why my brake lights were on continuously when the LED's were is a particular way - and not on when they were rotated 180 degrees.
Probably because the internal wiring of the LED assembly was feeding the tail light power to the brakelight part of the circuit. Without knowing the exact circuit they used in them, we can only speculate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts