GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with my turn signals. The honda dealership advised me that since I added no factory LED's to my bike that VOIDS the warranty. Does anybody know if that is what the warranty actual says. I need some help on this one.
Hawg

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,542 Posts
What are the lights doing? Welcome to the board! Only if they can prove the extra lights caused the bike to fail. Ask them to show that to you in writing from the Honda warranty booklet.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Any mod or non-factory part/accessory that is made/added can cause a warranty denial.
Any factory approved mod made or part/accessory added must be done by a trained tech at an authorized dealer to retain warranty.
Having made those statements, a non-approved "change" does not void the entire warranty
example: installing a trike conversion may result in warranty claim denials for any drive train related failures, while other failures/defects would still be covered.
The key word being "may".
Some dealers may cover a item that shouldn't be by not reporting that to the manufacturer.
Other dealers, being totally honest, will report something that should be and refuse the warranty claim, which flags your bike in the warranty system so, going to another dealer won't do any good.
Other failures require a visit from the factory rep whom will definitely refuse a warranty claim id he/she feels a non approved mod has been made or a non-approved part/accessory has been added.
Sorry, Your dealer is correct.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
What kind of problem with the turn signals??????

Are the add on lights tied into the turn signal circuit??????

Are the add on lights removable??????

The extended warranty is an extension of the three year "bumper to
bumper" warranty and cover the same items as the original with the
exception of audio systems, wear items and fluids.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
It depends whether it voids your electrical warranty. You didn't give enough detail to provide you with an answer. Can you change back to the OEM signals? If so, I would do that, and if the problem persists, you 'should' be covered. They can't deny you simply because you modified something. There has to be some sort of logic as to WHY they think that your mod is causing, or contributed to the problem.

Trike is an excellent example as well as a bad transmission when you tow a trailer. If the switch itself is bad, this would be unlikely to have been caused by your LED's. I would definitely ask them to explain why they think the LED's are why the turn signals don't work. Don't settle for 'you modified it, so it's not covered'.

Read up on Magnuson-Moss Act

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
It depends whether it voids your electrical warranty. You didn't give enough detail to provide you with an answer. Can you change back to the OEM signals? If so, I would do that, and if the problem persists, you 'should' be covered. 1.They can't deny you simply because you modified something. There has to be some sort of logic as to WHY they think that your mod is causing, or contributed to the problem.

Trike is an excellent example as well as a bad transmission when you tow a trailer. If the switch itself is bad, this would be unlikely to have been caused by your LED's. I would definitely ask them to explain why they think the LED's are why the turn signals don't work. Don't settle for 'you modified it, so it's not covered'.

2.Read up on Magnuson-Moss Act
1.Yes, they can and have, many, many times.
2.Please do and read all of it. You will find it does not cover exactly want most think it does.
But, like your statement, mine is also just an opinion, a been there, done that opinion but, still just an opinion.
I will tell you, if you refuse to pay the bill, because of a warranty denial, while you are trying to prove some accessory added or mod you made did not cause the failure in question, your bike will be sitting at the dealer, accumulating storage fees, instead of you riding it.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
1.Yes, they can and have, many, many times.
2.Please do and read all of it. You will find it does not cover exactly want most think it does.
But, like your statement, mine is also just an opinion, a been there, done that opinion but, still just an opinion.
I will tell you, if you refuse to pay the bill, because of a warranty denial, while you are trying to prove some accessory added or mod you made did not cause the failure in question, your bike will be sitting at the dealer, accumulating storage fees, instead of you riding it.
I should have stated, according to the law, they cannot. It's kind of like putting an aftermarket bulb in because your stock one burned out. They can tell that it's not OEM because it has a slightly bluer tint, or slightly whiter tint. Then when none of your headlights work, say they can't cover it because you installed an aftermarket part, even though it is a universal replacement for the OEM part.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
I should have stated, according to the law, they cannot. It's kind of like putting an aftermarket bulb in because your stock one burned out. They can tell that it's not OEM because it has a slightly bluer tint, or slightly whiter tint. Then when none of your headlights work, say they can't cover it because you installed an aftermarket part, even though it is a universal replacement for the OEM part.
While your illustration of the bulb,as long as it has the exact same rating, is quite true, that is not the same as a non-approved accessory, such as a t rike conversion.

·
Registered
239 Posts
What kind of problem with the turn signals??????

Are the add on lights tied into the turn signal circuit??????

Are the add on lights removable??????

The extended warranty is an extension of the three year "bumper to
bumper" warranty and cover the same items as the original with the
exception of audio systems, wear items and fluids.
And any adjustment are not covered anymore, ie: cruise control, saddle bag latch adjustments, etc. they are cinsidered "Maintenace":wrong:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Well I would be curious to know exactly what the warranty says (not sure if Ddawgs wrote that or not).

Because...it has to be specific. You might have changed the turn signals...but in my mind...that shouldn't void the warranty for the entire electrical system, because you only changed out a specific part. ie...there might be 3 parts of the turn signal system...and if you only changed the third part...it doesnt affect the other two. at least...it shouldn't.

When I used to drive truck...I listened to a trucking podcast from a very knowledgable guy, who has owned trucks for 20+ years. Often times...someone would call in..asking questions about various modifications they were doing to the engines in regards to warranty issues. The common answer most of the time was that the warranty was still valid. Its not a entire engine warranty...the warranty covers various aspects of the engine. If you do something to part a...they can't void the warranty because part B malfunctions...when it has nothing to do with part a.

So...what i mean is that...if your mod did not cause (or is not ) the problem....the warranty should still be valid.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Ziggy-I think you missed the point some here.
Using your example-you put a racing cam in your car motor along w/a high rise alum. intake and a big Holly 4bbl on top. You blow the rods out the bottom of the oil pan. Do you think that should be repaired under warranty?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
since I added no factory LED's to my bike that VOIDS the warranty.
Hawg
There is not enough information to say whether the dealer is being reasonable or not.

BUT assuming you are saying you changed your turn signals from OEM to something else and they do not work then you can't expect them to warranty that.
Or you tore and spliced into your electrical lighting system to install something else the source of your turn signal problem could be a result of that and whether it is or not you can't expect them to go tracing through your wiring to figure it out - Honda won't cover them for that extra labor.

If your problem could be anyway related to a modification you made .... or the modification is tied into the system failing in any way .... then I think you need to get that part of the bike back to OEM before you could expect them to touch it under warranty.

My 2012 Warranty Manual says a lot of stuff of course but the part that applies to this specifically states:

These warranties DO Not Cover:

- Failures caused by or related to any modification not approved by American Honda

Give us more info and maybe someone here will be able to help troubleshoot it so you don't have to deal with the dealer anyway.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Ziggy-I think you missed the point some here.
Using your example-you put a racing cam in your car motor along w/a high rise alum. intake and a big Holly 4bbl on top. You blow the rods out the bottom of the oil pan. Do you think that should be repaired under warranty?
If the modification you did created the problem...then NO, it should not be covered by warranty. Im saying that the turn signals issue might NOT be caused by his modification. All he did was put new signals in...new blinkers. That might not be where the problem is. If his modification did not cause the problem, I don't see why it can't be covered under warranty. I mean...why should his warranty be void if the problem is up on the handlebars at the switch...and its not anyway related to the signals he swapped out?

Joker wrote it out what it says...they don't cover if its caused by, or related to the mod. so what you need to do is reverse that sentence. If his modification did not cause the problem (ie its a switch issue) or is not related to the problem (ie...switch)...it should be covered.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,542 Posts
The OP needs to chime back in with more details. I responded like I did because of this same reasoning. If you change a light bulb to LED and the turn signal switch quits working, then the LED had nothing to do with the switch failing. This is because of the way the system works. Of course a dealer that doesn't want to make little to no money on a warranty job will tell the customer "your LEDs broke the switch" counting on the customer to not know any better and then charge him big $ to change out an over priced switch assembly. If you think a dealer won't do this, you're kidding yourself. We need more details.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
If the modification you did created the problem...then NO, it should not be covered by warranty. Im saying that the turn signals issue might NOT be caused by his modification. All he did was put new signals in...new blinkers. That might not be where the problem is. If his modification did not cause the problem, I don't see why it can't be covered under warranty. I mean...why should his warranty be void if the problem is up on the handlebars at the switch...and its not anyway related to the signals he swapped out?

Joker wrote it out what it says...they don't cover if its caused by, or related to the mod. so what you need to do is reverse that sentence. If his modification did not cause the problem (ie its a switch issue) or is not related to the problem (ie...switch)...it should be covered.
The OP needs to chime back in with more details. I responded like I did because of this same reasoning. If you change a light bulb to LED and the turn signal switch quits working, then the LED had nothing to do with the switch failing. This is because of the way the system works. Of course a dealer that doesn't want to make little to no money on a warranty job will tell the customer "your LEDs broke the switch" counting on the customer to not know any better and then charge him big $ to change out an over priced switch assembly. If you think a dealer won't do this, you're kidding yourself. We need more details.
Once more and then I'm done. I am not disputing either of your opinions.
I have already stated the obvious. But, once again. A mod was made, the mod was LED bulbs in the signal lamps. There is now an electrical problem there.
Right or wrong, the manufacturer and their agent(dealer) can refuse a warranty claim. It's up to you to prove the LEDs did not cause the problem. LEDs are not a direct/same as replacement for the OEM bulbs. How long do you want your bike in dealer storage while you try to do that. 'nough said.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

:agree:

I tell everyone if you are going to install any aftermarket accessory.Do it through a fused relay or a fused aux fuse panel.

Do Not add any wiring by splicing into the bikes original wiring harness or you could not only ruin your ride,But may or will be cause for warranty refusal because you touched the bikes stock harness in some way..

The good part by not touching the bikes harness is that if a accessory fails.you can still ride home and find out why it failed later,instead of being a pedestrian on the side of the road and then hearing "You altered the bikes harness" from the dealer who will have no choice but to charge you for the mistake.

BTW:
My switch cluster was replaced because of a turn signal that failed under the ex-warranty.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,542 Posts
I understand what you're saying Dawg, this whole thread is all speculation until the OP gives us more details. He could have just changed the bulbs, or he could have cut all the wires and spliced in some cheap chinese LEDs that shorted out the harness. We need more details. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts