GL1800Riders Forums banner

Extended warranty on US wing imported to Canada?

1K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  jay1021 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Forgive me for those people with memberships on multiple GL1800 boards. I decided to post this on more than one since there probably aren't THAT many people who imported a bike from the US into Canada. That being said, I wanted to get this out to as many as possible to see if there's a way.

I've got a question for anyone who's imported any Honda bike into Canada.

First, I know that Honda Canada will not honour the warranty on my 2006 GL1800, thats okay. I knew that going into it. I'm only 1hr away from Buffalo, NY and if something goes wrong I can just bring it there and have them do the warranty work in the US.

Has anyone heard (or actually purchased) an extended warranty on their US wing from a Canadian Honda dealer? I could see Canadian Honda not honouring the US factory warranty, but one would wonder why they care WHERE the bike was originally sold if the warranty was purchased from a Canadian dealer.

Any thoughts??

Thanks,

Jason

See less See more
#2 ·
Forgive me for those people with memberships on multiple GL1800 boards. I decided to post this on more than one since there probably aren't THAT many people who imported a bike from the US into Canada.
I think you'll be surprised to find quite a lot who are doing exactly that..., some even a couple of times over... ;)

Has anyone heard (or actually purchased) an extended warranty on their US wing from a Canadian Honda dealer? I could see Canadian Honda not honouring the US factory warranty, but one would wonder why they care WHERE the bike was originally sold if the warranty was purchased from a Canadian dealer.
Cant say for sure, but I sort of doubt if a Canadian dealer would be able to register an extended warranty against an American bike, due to the VIN..., it would have an american VIN.

Since you're only up in Milton, you could probably buy it from an American dealer, since that's where you'd have to take it for warranty work anyway.

#3 ·
It is an American bike and the VIN is registered with American Honda. American Honda is the only place where you could get an extended warranty. Honda Canada will have nothing to do with bikes from the USA and that includes warranty issues. You may be able to buy extended warranty through Hal? I have a 2002 Wing with extended warranty and I take it south for any issues.

#4 ·
02 bought in USA W warr.

I purchased an 02 1800, pearl orange, in the States and it had an existing extended warranty. In 07 I had the alternator changed due to failure in North Carolina and Honda pick up the bill as this was a warranty item. The warranty is now expired. I wish the rear diff would have burnt out in the US rather than Cornerbrook NFLD three years ago. Getting that fixed was a hassle.
Scott
Ottawa

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll just take the bike to Buffalo for any warranty work. I was just hoping that Honda Canada would allow me to buy an extended warranty here. No big deal, its THEIR loss really.

My warranty runs out on 2010, so i'll just buy a nice 4yr extended warranty from HDL.

Jason

#6 ·
Flat out. Honda canada will not honor any warranty unless it is a canadian bike. US will not honor any warranty on a canadian bike.

Take her south

#8 ·
jay905,

Have a look at the cost of a Canadian Extended Warranty and then compare that to the Extended Warranty from a US outlet. That should pretty much make up your mind for you. Even with the current exchange rate, the US warranty is less than 1/2 of what is charged up here.

#9 ·
I was pretty impressed with the cost of a 4yr extended warranty from HDL. I was hoping that IF a Canadian dealer offered a Canadian warranty for a reasonable price (even up to 1.5x the US cost) that would be decent since I do 90% of my riding here. Guess i'll just have to do a little more riding in the US :thumbup:

#10 ·
If you live in the USA, and your traveling through Canada on your USA bike that's under warranty, and have a problem will Honda dealers in Canada work on your bike?:shrug:

#11 ·
From the sounds of it, I don't think so. Which I think is a crock! Maybe someone can enlighten us.

I'd hope it would be the same for a Canadian who purchased a Canadian Honda travelling in the US.

At the VERY least, the respective home countries Honda should then reimburse the owner after the fact. I think most people would be okay with that.

#12 ·
Biker John,
I was told by Honda Canada, that any bike purchased & registered in the US is covered while traveling in Canada.
If bike is purchased & registered in Canada, it will be covered while traveling in the USA.
Honda Canada will not honor a warranty of a bike purchased in USA & registered in Canada.
Honda Canada states they are a different company from Honda USA, but seem to work together for warranty issues, they just don't like having to compete for sales of their bikes vs prices in USA.

#13 ·
Biker John,
I was told by Honda Canada, that any bike purchased & registered in the US is covered while traveling in Canada.
If bike is purchased & registered in Canada, it will be covered while traveling in the USA.
Honda Canada will not honor a warranty of a bike purchased in USA & registered in Canada.
Honda Canada states they are a different company from Honda USA, but seem to work together for warranty issues, they just don't like having to compete for sales of their bikes vs prices in USA.
i think u missunderstood or someone gave u the wrong information

USA warranty is useless in Canada

Canada warranty is useless in USA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.