GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the spirit of the saying "Never mind the labor pains, show me the baby," here we go:

Dealer: "In our world, when someone asks for a 5 year extended warranty we take it to mean the original 3 plus 2 years."
Me: "So if someone walks in and says 'I want the Honda 5-year Extended Warranty' you think he wants the 2-year extended warranty?"
Dealer: "Yes."
Me: ".... well that's stupid!"
Dealer: "Oh, so now you're calling me stupid!"
Me: "No, I'm saying what you're telling me is stupid!"

Is it stupid? That's the reason for my poll. What would YOU expect? Would YOU know that you needed to ask for the "Honda 8-year Extended Warranty?" While I was hot-headed when I created the poll, I was still entertaining the notion that I may be wrong. It's happened before once or twice... usually every day.

I hope that satisfies the curious as to what it was all about.

Here's a link to the poll I'm referencing: https://gl1800riders.com/forums/4-general-mc-message-board/454933-extended-warranty-question.html

At this time the results are:
  • 3 years: 0
  • 5 years: 4
  • 8 years: 29
  • 10 years: 1 (What? LOL!)
======================================
Now, If you're interested in the "labor pains" read on:

On my birthday, July 2, I traveled to a dealer in my state that was offering test rides on the new GoldWings. What better way to spend my birthday, right? I rode each transmission option. They were ok but I wasn't blown away (all that is in a thread I posted at the time). Sitting next to the 2019s was a brand spanking new 2017. It had been there for a long time, couple years maybe. My friend who lives in that town had been drooling over it and sent me a pic long before. It was a nice color blue but nothing I wanted. Seeing it in person though... pictures did not do it justice. Very nice. I made an off-hand comment to the salesman after my test rides that "to be honest, I think I'd rather have the 2017." I was just saying how I prefer the previous model for a couple reasons. So we chatted a little bit about it.

When I got home I made of a list of just the bare necessity items I'd need just to get started with a new bike. Comfort, safety and function. No fluff. I sent it to the salesman and he came back with a price. Not bad but I passed on it. Not really a good time (wife's hospital bills, for one thing). I said that I'd just wait for the 2020s and re-evalutate then. Well then he came back with an even better deal. It really was a good deal - maybe not Russellville good, but good for around here. Then the salesman went on vacation and I dealt with the owner. We took a few days hammering out details and clarifying accessories and prices. I had to make a decision. So I decided if they would include the Honda 5-year Extended Warranty, I would buy. If they didn't, I would pass. I was almost positive they'd say no.

Email from me to dealership owner:
...If you can include the Honda 5-year extend warranty I will pull the trigger right now. ...

Response from dealership owner:
I’ll get the deluxe hitch. I’ll get you the 5 year warranty at no charge. We’ll do a $500 credit card deposit. If we cannot get you financed, I will refund the deposit. Give me a call when you can to do the deposit. Thanks!

WOW! He said yes. So I sent my deposit. (I know he doesn't say the word "extended" but I refer you back to the conversation at the top of this post.)

It took a little while to get the accessories and some of them were installed. When I went to pick it up, some parts were in and some weren't. I usually don't leave things like that but the salesman seemed like a good, honest guy so I trusted him. (And I did get all the right parts so no problem there.) But when I went to sign the papers there was no mention of any extended warranty. I had to show the email correspondence on my phone. The lady was really nice but didn't know what to do. She was making phone calls to get help. In the meantime, I texted my wife, who had dropped me off, not to leave town because she might have to come back and get me. I was going to walk if they didn't honor what we agreed upon.

They reprinted the invoice and it said something like "Includes 5 year warranty" but I was adamant that it specifically spell out "Honda 5-year Extended Warranty." At the time, I was concerned about it being a dealership warranty and not the factory warranty. I never even crossed my mind that I would get 2 years extended. I figured I would be safe if I had it on the invoice and I trusted the dealership integrity so I agreed to sign all the papers and rode off into the sunset on my new GoldWing! (Actually it was a terrible rain storm most of the way with thunder in the distance, but what better way to break in a new bike, right? :lol: )

It took over a month to get the paperwork from Honda and what did it say? You guessed it . 24 months. So I called and asked the dealership to fix it. That's when the conversation posted above took place.

I was very hot-headed when I created the poll. I'm still PO'd with the dealer. There was no offer to make it right, no options, nothing. It was pretty much "sorry you misunderstood." Too bad, so sad.

I think that addresses most of the questions.

One comment went something like: ".. the guy gave you warranty extended to five years for free. That's not nothing." Very true, it's not nothing. Should I just roll over? Would you? Well, if the poll stated that I was wrong, I definitely would have.

Another comment: "You wanted an extension of five years for a total of 8, and were willing to pay for it." It should be clear now, if not before, that this is not true.

Another comment: "Extended by 5? Extended to 5? Both are extended. Different end dates." Should be clear now what the problem is.

Another comment: "If it was mine (honest answer, not argumentative) I legitimately can see it both ways." How about now?

BTW, I have contacted the Honda Protection Plan administrator and I had to explain it a couple times. They were just as perplexed as I was. "Five years is five years!" Me: "No, apparently five years is TWO years!" Anyway, they aren't in a position to do anything about it. They suggested moving it up from the salesman to the manager. I told them it was the owner. "Oh.... sorry." Next step is Honda Corporate.

If I had asked for the Honda 2-year Extended warranty, would they have taken away 1 year of standard warranty that came with the bike? :shrug:

Thanks to everyone who played along and answered my question. Lots of good comments. Very much appreciated. :thumbup:

Thanks to Tonik for your patience and cooperation. :bow:

Thanks also to the mods, especially BulletBob, for his patience and good advice. :capwin:

Attachments:
  • Screenshot of Honda Goldwing page that dealer referenced in his defense saying the warranty is extendable up to 8 years.
  • Screenshot of Honda Protection Plan page showing Term Chart in my defense.
  • Screenshot of Honda Protection Plan page showing Plan Pricing in my defense.
  • Image of dealership invoice in my defense.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
If I had asked for the Honda 2-year Extended warranty, would they have taken away 1 year of standard warranty that came with the bike? :shrug:
This is what I would ask the dealer! If you can't get the EXTRA 5 years, you got cheated.

Also, I guarantee if you told him you wanted to BUY the 5 year extended, he would've SOLD you 5 and not 2. Shady, shady owner.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
I didn't see the poll being referred to.

One thing to know is that there is technically no such thing as an extended warranty. It is illegal for manufacturers to call them that or market them as warranties because they are not warranties, even though they have a net effect that is similar to a warranty. They are service contracts, maintenance plans, or sometimes just called insurance, which is essentially what it is. It has just become standard vernacular in society to incorrectly refer to them as extended warranties. I do it too. I don't know if a dealer opens himself to legal problems by referring to them as extended warranties since they are an authorized agent for the manufacturer, but regardless, they are wrong when they do. I am amazed that the dealer put that on the actual invoice. Amateurs!

Most people, but not everyone, learns early on in life that extended service contracts never start after the factory warranty expires. They start when you buy the product. It's just common knowledge. It may seem dishonest to refer to a 5 year extension on top of a 3 year factory warranty as a 8 year extension, and you could easily make a good argument that it is at the least intentionally misleading, but manufacturers have a catch that allows them to legally do this.

If you read through an extended service contract, they get away with this because the extended contract always includes something from day one that is not covered by the factory warranty. It might be free towing and roadside assistance. It might be coverage of accidental damage, or free maintenance etc. I don't know what Honda covers because I never buy extended warranties, but there is certainly something there. So actually, at least part of the extension does cover the vehicle from day one. Pretty sneaky, huh?

This is very low on the list of dirty tricks that dealers pull on consumers. A salesman will lie and say anything they think you want to hear if it will get him the sale and he knows he won't get in trouble for it. The worst part is, every time you go to buy a new vehicle and think you know every trick in the book, they will have developed a new gotcha. It never ends. I hate buying new cars or bikes. I always end up angry at not being able to get straight, honest answers.

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Not all dealers and sales people are able to keep up what they might sell. Honda alone sells something like over 50 models. If the dealer sells 3 other brands, that then means the salesman then needs to know everything about over 150 models.

He should at least say, let me check on that for you, and then speak into that little black microphone attached to his collar and listen for an answer.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
You got screwed. The paperwork says "5", not "2". Since when is the 3-yr factory warranty called an "extended warranty"?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I don't think the dealers stupid, I think he's playing stupid so he can pretend he didn't scam you. Wonder if any other of his other customers had the bait and switch pulled on them. Hopefully you are happy with your bike and can just chalk it up to paying to learn where not to purchase your next bike!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The only mistake you made was when the dealer asked if you were calling him stupid and you replied no.

Me: ".... well that's stupid!"
Dealer: "Oh, so now you're calling me stupid!"

My answer: "Well, that depends"
Dealer: "Depends on what?
My answer: Depends on whether or not you ARE stupid, or just a liar." Which one is it? Because only a stupid person, or a liar, would to try to sell a 5 yr EXTENDED warranty, that was requested, as a 3 yr Factory warranty plus 2 years extended past the factory term."

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Coming from the Harley World, I knew what had happened to you. And I understood your dilemma. I was saddened to see Honda dealers using that flim-flam strategy on customers in today's environment. But it was, and still is used by MOST Harley dealers. You have to be very specific with them about your coverage request and what YOU mean when you ask for a 5 year EXTENDED WARRANTY.

And I agree with LARRY M, we call it an extended warranty when even the acronym says ESP( Extended SERVICE plan). And THAT isn't even what it actually is. A Service Plan is a pre=paid agreement for regular schedule maintenance(service) intervals. It should be called an EXTENDED FREE REPAIR PLAN( EFRP), with a $50 deductible.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Most people, but not everyone, learns early on in life that extended service contracts never start after the factory warranty expires. They start when you buy the product.

This statement by Larry M answers about all of the issues involved. I have been told this in the past but had forgotten about it when voting in the poll and posting in this thread. It is obviously true because I was told by two different dealers if I ever considered purchasing what is generally called an “extended warranty” to wait until a few days before the original warranty expires before buying it.
Basically, what happens when one buys it at the time of purchase, it starts and runs right along with the original warranty. A waste, for sure. If bought a few days before the original expires, then it adds the full amount to the original.
In the case the poll was about, it started when the paperwork was signed, so three years will be burned when the original runs out, leaving two more years. Had it been done a few days before the original warranty expired, five years would have been added for a total of eight years. As Larry said, it’s not just Honda. The first time I was aware of it was a car, but could be appliance, or whatever.
I have only bought one extended warranty on a Gold Wing and the only reason that I did then was the fact that I had bought one a couple of years old with only 1260 miles on the odometer with only a short period of time left on the original warranty. Not knowing anything about it or why the warranty was almost expired with so little miles, I thought it might be a good idea. I think I bought three extra years if I remember correctly, and that’s what I got..3 years. Waste of money, because only used it once and the bill was like half what the extra warranty cost. Lol!
Right or wrong, that’s just the way they work. Would have been nice if the dealer explained all of this before the sale, if he was even aware himself.

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Administrator
4,581 Posts
So, your bike is just about to become 3 years old. You go back to your dealer.
"I want to buy the 5 extended warranty"
What will you get, 2? 5?
I thought this was a no-brainer:shrug:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
At that point you get 5 years if you pay for five, or at least I got what I paid for.
As Larry stated in his post, it won’t go forward to the end of 3 years to start if put in effect when the bike is purchased. It will burn 3 years right along with the original warranty. Doesn’t make much sense. Just the way it seems to be.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At that point you get 5 years if you pay for five, or at least I got what I paid for.
As Larry stated in his post, it won’t go forward to the end of 3 years to start if put in effect when the bike is purchased. It will burn 3 years right along with the original warranty. Doesn’t make much sense. Just the way it seems to be.
There is absolutely no indication or hint of that in anything I've read or referenced in the attachments above. Do you have anything I can read to understand this?

A couple questions:

1) Why isn't there an option to buy 8 years of "extended?"
2) Why did the 24 months that I got apparently cost $690? If it's running alongside and I get 5 years total, shouldn't it have cost more?
3) Would the "extended" 24 months run out a year before the standard 36 month warranty runs out?

:shrug:

When I talked to them at the Honda Protection Plan number they made no mention of any of this.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
There is absolutely no indication or hint of that in anything I've read or referenced in the attachments above. Do you have anything I can read to understand this?
A couple questions:
1) Why isn't there an option to buy 8 years of "extended?"
2) Why did the 24 months that I got apparently cost $690? If it's running alongside and I get 5 years total, shouldn't it have cost more?
3) Would the "extended" 24 months run out a year before the standard 36 month warranty runs out?
:shrug:
When I talked to them at the Honda Protection Plan number they made no mention of any of this.
I was quite surprised myself that you mentioned none of that when talking about what you were told when you called asking questions about the protection plan. Everything I mentioned was either told to me by a dealer or what I experienced myself. As stated, I had forgotten about it until reading what Larry M said reminded me.
1) I have no idea how they chose their options, but based on my experience, to get eight years you would buy 5 more years just before the original runs out.
2)Not sure I understand that question. My understanding was that they gave you 5 years but since it started the day you bought the bike, there were only 2 years left when the original ran out.
3)As I understand how it works they couldn’t sell that for that very reason.
I am by no means an expert on this and for the most part it makes no sense to me. I was just sharing, hoping that it would help you in some way as you try to sort it out.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
awingnut105, don't get me wrong. You are helping.

My contract says 24 months expiring in 2024. So I don't see how it can be running concurrently.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have purchased numerous Goldwings over the years that have had EXTENDED Honda Factory Service Contracts. In EVERY instance the EXTENDED contract always began upon the expiration of the original factory warranty. Never once did the EXTENDED contract begin on the date it was purchased. That information is just patently false and does little but to further confuse the original poster and muddle the issue at hand.

For clarification here is the common dictionary definition of the word extended:

EX-TEND-ED /ikˈstendəd/
(adjective)

1-made larger; enlarged.
"an extended kitchen and new balcony"

2-lasting longer than is usual or expected; prolonged.
"an extended period of time"

The Bill of Sale clearly indicates a 5 year extension is warranted. I’d pursue the issue further with Honda Corporate and if the issue remains unresolved after that interaction I would consult an attorney.

You are clearly owed a 5 year EXTENSION on your original factory limited warranty. I wouldn’t settle for anything less!

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
awingnut105, don't get me wrong. You are helping.
My contract says 24 months expiring in 2024. So I don't see how it can be running concurrently.
I’m trying, but not sure that it’s working. Lol!
Based on what I was told:
Started when you bought:2019
Running with, in place of, concurrently or whatever with original warranty: 2022 (3 years)
Two years to make out five years:2024
Total: Five years
Just the way was explained to me, wrong or right.
Hope to hear how it all comes out.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
782 Posts
I am not a dues paying member of the bar in your great state but IMHO you do have a valid small claims case. If presented cleanly, a reasonable person test would agree that your negotiations included a Honda 60 month ESP. I would include the factory telephone guy on a witness list. Doubt it would get that far but I would LOVE to see this in front of Judge Judy.

I was not facetious though in my previous post. You will have a very difficult time making a claim. Your selling dealer will be the first witness for Honda saying that you have a trailer harness, hitch and operator floorboards. Even if they are off when the bike is presented for repairs, you have documentation they were on at one time and those three things can be the cause of just about anything.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Most people, but not everyone, learns early on in life that extended service contracts never start after the factory warranty expires. They start when you buy the product.
I am a long way from being early in life and I am not most people but I strongly disagree with this statement and vehemently disagree when discussing Honda (or FCA, GM, Ford) extended warranty. The only reason to delay purchasing until the day before base expires is hedging against the possibility that the vehicle gets sold/traded or totaled in a collision when you will lose your investment.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts