GL1800Riders Forums banner

You request a 5-year extended warranty with your GoldWing

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: Please read post #18 before voting. Thanks.

You go to your Honda Dealer and buy a new GoldWing. As part of the deal, you request a 5-year extended warranty and they agree.

How many years of warranty do you have total?

Edit: Please reply with a short explanation of what you chose, if you don't mind.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Must be a trick question. Lol
It's really not. Unless you go to one certain dealer, maybe, who I won't name at this time.... but I just want honest answers and if I'm wrong I'll admit it.

I'm just looking for honesty and other people's experience with this.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd greatly appreciate it if people would please post a short explanation of their vote like Murgie and Squeeky did, if you don't mind.

Thanks.

·
Registered
413 Posts
8 years total. 3 original and 5 more extended. That is what all the lit from Honda says that I have seen.

I am guessing they misunderstood and only gave you a total of 5? I know you can buy shorter than 5 years extended.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Not gonna vote, because I think "it depends"...

IIRC, on the 1832cc models, you got three years and could add four more for a total of seven.

Didn't that change with the 2018s? For those, I thought you got three years with the option to add five more for a total of eight.

Source: I have an '08 w/o any extended warranty!

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not gonna vote, because I think "it depends"...

IIRC, on the 1832cc models, you got three years and could add four more for a total of seven.

Didn't that change with the 2018s? For those, I thought you got three years with the option to add five more for a total of eight.

Source: I have an '08 w/o any extended warranty!
See post #5. No need to read anything in to it other than exactly what I said in the OP.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
When I bought my 02 the only option available was 4 year extended warranty for a total of 7 years unlimited miles warranty, my bike was under warranty for 286,000 smiles. The option for 5 years of extended warranty wasn’t even available until about 2010.
Today I bought a 4 year extended warranty for $389.00 for the Yamaha Tenere which comes from the factory with only a 1 year warranty, if I ever need anything done under warranty I sure hope Yamaha treats me as well as Honda always did.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I bought my 02 the only option available was 4 year extended warranty for a total of 7 years unlimited miles warranty, my bike was under warranty for 286,000 smiles. The option for 5 years of extended warranty wasn’t even available until about 2010.
Today I bought a 4 year extended warranty for $389.00 for the Yamaha Tenere which comes from the factory with only a 1 year warranty, if I ever need anything done under warranty I sure hope Yamaha treats me as well as Honda always did.
So how many total years do you have for a warranty on the Yamaha?

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
So how many total years do you have for a warranty on the Yamaha?
Total 5 years but in a couple days it will be 1 year old so there are only 4 years of warranty left, but it is sometimes possible to by another 2 years before the 5 years are up.
I really don’t expect to put a lot of miles on it but then again I’m pretty amazed that I managed to put 50,000 on the first one in only 3 years.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You get 3 years factory and 4 more with the extended warranty. Total of 7 for me.
This is what I got on my 2014 Valkyrie. When I purchased my NOS 16 in August, I just stuck with the 3 year factory warranty and will see if I feel like I have any need for the Extended Warranty. You can still get the extended for the same price later up until the day your original expires. This is what my dealer told me.

·
Registered
476 Posts
extended warranty

Got me a nos '16 in September of'18. Have 3 year warranty that started from then until September'21and from that time I got the extended warranty from Honda for 5 more years. Cost was I believe $585 and by that time I should be giving up the bike due to being 76 years old. I'm happy with that.
Billy

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got me a nos '16 in September of'18. Have 3 year warranty that started from then until September'21and from that time I got the extended warranty from Honda for 5 more years. Cost was I believe $585 and by that time I should be giving up the bike due to being 76 years old. I'm happy with that.
Billy
When you bought the bike, did you ask for, or get offered, the 60 month (5 year) extended warranty or the 96 month (8 year) extended warranty?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
When I bought my NOS 2016 last year March, I asked the dealer about the extended warrantee. They high balled the price for both the 4 year and 5 year extended warrantee. Something like $1200.

I plan on getting the 4 or perhaps 5 year extended warrantee next year before the 3 year runs out.. There is a dealer in Texas that is recommended here that has a far better price than I was offered at my local dealer. I don't have that dealers name and number handy right now.

There is no 8year 8 year extended warrantee. It's the standard 3 year and add the 5 year extended.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe this will clear up the original question:

Email from customer:
...If you can include the Honda 5-year extend warranty I will pull the trigger right now. ...
Reply from dealer:
I’ll get the deluxe hitch. I’ll get you the 5 year warranty at no charge. We’ll do a $500 credit card deposit. If we cannot get you financed, I will refund the deposit. Give me a call when you can to do the deposit. Thanks!
See attached invoice.

NOW.... how many years of total warranty does the customer have?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 61 Posts