GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My factory warranty is about to expire and I'm thinking of getting the extended warranty offered by our site host. My questions are for those of you that have used this warranty, what obstacles if any did you run into with the dealerships? Do they accept this warranty with no questions asked? Thanks

·
Registered
19,316 Posts
The warranty is good at all Honda dealers. Some do check and see if it was purchased from them and push you to the end of the line. Git er fixed:thumbup:

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
I have never had an obstacle. I bought my Ext Warranty online from another dealer and my local dealer has performed more than $1,200 worth of repairs covered under the warranty. No questions asked!

·
Registered
68 Posts
The extended warranty is not honored by Canadian dealers (or US dealers if you have a Canadian extended warranty). I think you may be able to submit you bills when you get home and get reimbursed (maybe)

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Your ? is in a way a active topic on 2 other threads right now that are discussing warranty claim refusals on unauthorized/unapproved modifications and accessories and even authorized parts and accessories not installed by a tech at an authorized dealer.
Then there are many past and present discussions of some dealers refusing to warrant "things" that the next dealer down the road will cover with no problem!
Do a search and you will be over whelmed w/pro and con info.
Basically, you are betting you're gonna have a failure that will be covered and Honda is betting you won't!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I have never had an obstacle. I bought my Ext Warranty online from another dealer and my local dealer has performed more than $1,200 worth of repairs covered under the warranty. No questions asked!
:agree:
That's my experience.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your ? is in a way a active topic on 2 other threads right now that are discussing warranty claim refusals on unauthorized/unapproved modifications and accessories and even authorized parts and accessories not installed by a tech at an authorized dealer.
Then there are many past and present discussions of some dealers refusing to warrant "things" that the next dealer down the road will cover with no problem!
Do a search and you will be over whelmed w/pro and con info.
Basically, you are betting you're gonna have a failure that will be covered and Honda is betting you won't!
I read those threads and see nothing regarding my question. I simply wanted to know if the warranty offered from a third party so to speak was an issue at any dealers. How you see this as having any relationship is not visible on my end.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
My factory warranty is about to expire and I'm thinking of getting the extended warranty offered by our site host. My questions are for those of you that have used this warranty, what obstacles if any did you run into with the dealerships? Do they accept this warranty with no questions asked? Thanks
I read those threads and see nothing regarding my question. I simply wanted to know if the warranty offered from a third party so to speak was an issue at any dealers. How you see this as having any relationship is not visible on my end.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Maybe I can explain
First, your OP mentioned nothing about a 3rd party warranty. I thought you were talking about the Honda extended warranty. I have no experience w/3rd party warranties.
Then you mention using this warranty, obstacles and acceptance. So I referred you to and mentioned about different dealers handling warranty claims differently depending on non-approved mods/parts/accessories, even differing on coverage on OEM items.
Just relating experiences w/Honda's warranty at various Honda dealers.
Hope that explains why I responded the way I did.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

The 4yr ex-warranty offered by Honda aka-HPP.is honored by all authorized Honda dealers in the US.

I have had different dealers perform warranty work without questions.

How it works is when you bring the bike in for work.The dealer runs your VIN to see if a warranty exists?.If it does then they check out the bike for your compliant.and then call Honda Tech line to tell them they have a bike in warranty and what they found defective,Techline then either tells the dealer what to do or just authorizes the repair.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 4yr ex-warranty offered by Honda aka-HPP.is honored by all authorized Honda dealers in the US.

I have had different dealers perform warranty work without questions.

How it works is when you bring the bike in for work.The dealer runs your VIN to see if a warranty exists?.If it does then they check out the bike for your compliant.and then call Honda Tech line to tell them they have a bike in warranty and what they found defective,Techline then either tells the dealer what to do or just authorizes the repair.
Thanks for the explanation.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe I can explain
First, your OP mentioned nothing about a 3rd party warranty. I thought you were talking about the Honda extended warranty. I have no experience w/3rd party warranties.
Then you mention using this warranty, obstacles and acceptance. So I referred you to and mentioned about different dealers handling warranty claims differently depending on non-approved mods/parts/accessories, even differing on coverage on OEM items.
Just relating experiences w/Honda's warranty at various Honda dealers.
Hope that explains why I responded the way I did.
I may be wrong but the warranty offered by this web site host is a third party isn't it? If I'm mistaken then I appreciate getting squared away on that.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I have a new 3/12/11 2010 level1 and I now have 4yrs from Honda, 3 yrs normal and 1yr thrown in at purchase. I was thinking on getting the 4yr extended now at todays $ rather than wait 3 ys 11th hr to add to the extended yr at the furtue $ that'll give me 8yrs. Sounds like a nobrainer but with ?s about coverage and will they won't they makes me scratch my head but $500 isn't alot of money for a solid piece of mind where your scoot's health is concerned so I'm going to roll the dice baby.:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I may be wrong but the warranty offered by this web site host is a third party isn't it? If I'm mistaken then I appreciate getting squared away on that.
Dave.The ex-warranty offered by DLP here is the same Honda HPP that you buy from the Dealer,only it costs less here.

DLP has a sale going on right now.at checkout type in. COUPON CODE: LABOR2011
and save an additional 10%.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Explained by Rocky but to add further, A 3rd party warranty would be one offered by some independent company, other than the manufacturer of the vehicle in question.

I have a new 3/12/11 2010 level1 and I now have 4yrs from Honda, 3 yrs normal and 1yr thrown in at purchase. I was thinking on getting the 4yr extended now at todays $ rather than wait 3 ys 11th hr to add to the extended yr at the furtue $ that'll give me 8yrs. Sounds like a nobrainer but with ?s about coverage and will they won't they makes me scratch my head but $500 isn't alot of money for a solid piece of mind where your scoot's health is concerned so I'm going to roll the dice baby.:thumbup::thumbup:
I believe you will only be able to get 3yrs extended coverage! Since you were "given" an extra year on the initial warranty period, Honda will not go beyond 7 years total(initial warranty+extended warranty).
If you find out different, please correct me.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have the extended warranty and have had the rear diff replaced as well as fork seals and just last week front wheel bearings , all paid for under the extended warranty. :thumbup:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all that have replied. Also it only makes good ce$ts to take advantage of the sale. Thanks for the heads up Rocky.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
I have the extended warranty and have had the rear diff replaced as well as fork seals and just last week front wheel bearings , all paid for under the extended warranty. :thumbup:
You have a very good dealer. Several have posted fork seals and wheel bearings were treated as "wear items", no warranty coverage.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
To clarify .... the warranty you want is the Honda Protection Plan

You can buy it here for $499 - then use coupon code LABOR2011 for a 10% discount.

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=1120&str=4

Directline Parts, this boards sponsor, sells it as does any Honda dealer ... DLP also has a Honda dealership ... so they are selling you a Honda Warranty that is honored at any Honda Dealership in the US.

Normally I don't do the extended warranty thing as many if not most are pretty out there on price vs coverage but this is an excellent one at this price. Especially with unlimited mileage... one or 2 simple repairs will get your money back .... I've had $2000 plus covered by extended warranty with no questions... so at $449 it is a bargin.

http://powersports.honda.com/2009/gold-wing/warranty.aspx/hpp/

4-Year Warranty

• Nationwide Coverage

Covered repairs may be performed at any authorized Honda Motorcycle/ATV Dealership within the United States, including Hawaii and Alaska.
  • No Mileage Limitation

No need to watch your odometer. Coverage will not expire at any pre-set mileage limit.
  • No Deductible

Not one penny will come out of your pocket to pay for repairs covered by HondaCare®.
  • Transferable

Coverage is transferable to the next owner of your vehicle at no additional cost.
  • Genuine Honda Protection

Repairs are performed by Honda Trained Technicians who use only Honda Genuine Parts™ to return your vehicle to the level of performance you experienced before the problem occurred.
  • Extent of Coverage

A Honda Protection Plan covers you for mechanical failures as a result of defects in materials or factory workmanship, with no additional out-of-pocket costs. Coverage is virtually the same as the Honda Limited Warranty coverage you get with a new Honda; however, tires, batteries, audio equipment and accessories are not covered. Every Honda Protection Plan is good across the country, and replacements are always made with Honda Genuine Parts.
  • Deadline

HondaCare Protection can prolong genuine Honda coverage, but it's only available while your new-vehicle warranty is still in effect. Check your paperwork carefully, because when your warranty expires, so does this offer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts