GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2015 Honda Gl 1800 with 10,000miles,.would you recommend me looking into a extended warranty. I had one on a Harley Trike, and it paid for itself. Thanks

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Yes I would buy the extended warranty. We used our warranty for the video display twice and we got a new anti-lock brake motor replaced on warranty too. Be sure to get a genuine Honda warranty (not some dealer special).

Reactions: CAWing

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
It’s good insurance just in case.

Reactions: eddiepants

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
If (and that would be a really big IF for a 2015) you can get the Honda extended warranty, it is well worth it. Mine has easily paid for itself and I've still got a bit more than a year to go.

Not the Honda Warranty? I'd pass!

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Probably not a big deal if you don't plan to put a lot of miles on the bike. I have almost 150,000 miles on my'04 and used the extended warranty at 80,000 miles to replace the transmission. That was right at the very end if the seven year extended warranty. But everyone is right, your current warranty can't have lapsed and only the Honda warranty is worth it.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Had it on my 2006 and have it on my 2017. Bought it for my 06 just in case and it paid for itself. between 132,000 and 150,000 miles when the warranty ran out

I had a few thousand dollars of work done and I only paid $385.00 for the warranty. So when I bought the 2017 it was no question I was going to get it.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Had it on my 2006 and have it on my 2017. Bought it for my 06 just in case and it paid for itself. between 132,000 and 150,000 miles when the warranty ran out

I had a few thousand dollars of work done and I only paid $385.00 for the warranty. So when I bought the 2017 it was no question I was going to get it.

For the small amount Honda charges for an extended warranty, it's a no-brainer to purchase it.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
It's like any other insurance.

They sell it to take more of your money. If the seller(s) didn't make money, they wouldn't sell it. Or they would be broke, and not around when we wanted to collect.

Those that have issues that it covers, will collect, on average, less than the amount of paid by all purchasers.

Lots and lots of stories to justify both sides of the purchase decision.
It's whatever you are most comfortable with.

·
Registered
881 Posts
It's like any other insurance.

They sell it to take more of your money. If the seller(s) didn't make money, they wouldn't sell it. Or they would be broke, and not around when we wanted to collect.

Those that have issues that it covers, will collect, on average, less than the amount of paid by all purchasers.

Lots and lots of stories to justify both sides of the purchase decision.
It's whatever you are most comfortable with.

So you are saying you only carry the minimum coverage on all your insurance policies . After all they are all based on the same business plan.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
So you are saying you only carry the minimum coverage on all your insurance policies . After all they are all based on the same business plan.

I don't think they are the same at all.

And I didn't say what I carry.

Just said that there are lots of good arguments for both sides of the extended warranty debate.

I will say that the amounts and types of insurances and extended warranties that I chose to carry have changed over the years as needs have changed.
Each will have different reasons for the things (and levels) they chose to insure against and the things that they do not.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just purchased a 2015 Honda Gl 1800 with 10,000miles,.would you recommend me looking into a extended warranty. I had one on a Harley Trike, and it paid for itself. Thanks
I bought a new 17 level 3 wing June of 17. I have since been trying to make up my mind whether or not to get the extended warranty for it. A couple of weeks ago I decided to go for it and called Honda Direct Line. I talked to Dan and ended up with the Honda 60 month warranty. I may never need it for this bike, but the 48 month warranty I had on my 02 came in handy a time or two.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm going to get one for my new '16 I just bought. Why wouldn't you have an 8 year warranty. $899 was quoted by Honda Russellville. Dealer I bought from in Kali quotes $1599. Big diff

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'm going to get one for my new '16 I just bought. Why wouldn't you have an 8 year warranty. $899 was quoted by Honda Russellville. Dealer I bought from in Kali quotes $1599. Big diff
Shop around..... I think you can beat 899.... I have seen them on here for as low as 599...Do a search.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Some years ago I purchased my Honda Extended Warranty from Blue Ridge Honda. I seem to recall a price of slightly less than $400. They were way less than anyone else and I did my homework when shopping for this.

https://www.blueridgepowersports.com/

·
Registered
529 Posts
Even if you can afford major repairs or several minor repairs spending 7-800 does buy some piece of mind. Especially if you own a BMW or Harley.

Wing is reliable but even minor repairs add up fast these days.

You can have almost any Honda dealer or Honda Direct look up your initial sale date using your VIN.

I have been looking at used bikes. Many are sold a year or two after the model year.

Some Dealers are not even aware that some of their used bikes are still under the original warranty. Especially if you buy a Honda from a non- Honda dealer.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Like insurance, it saves some and some never need it. Of all the bikes I have owned, I only bought the extended warranty once. I used it once and it covered the bill in full, but the bill was only about half what I paid for the extended warranty.

Reactions: Farmguy

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Florida residents need to know that extended warranties are considered insurance and prices are regulated by the state insurance commission which insures that we cannot get them for reasonable prices, $1200 or so per 12 month extension. If you buy one from an out-of-state provider the coverage will not be honored if your state of residence is FL. I tried to go around this and buy one from a dealer in OH. I was pleased with the 80% reduction in cost until I provided my address and they told me the coverage would not be honored if I or a repair shop had to file for repairs.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I wonder how many used bikes are sold by dealers that may have an transferable extended warranty. Are the Honda warranties transferable. Would be a good selling feature. I'd buy, especially based on the quotes seen on this thread.

I purchased a 05 BMW R1200GS in 07 from a guy who purchased a McGraw 7 year unlimited mileage warranty. It was a selling feature to me. Paid $50 to transfer. It paid out about $4,000 in repairs after the factory warranty expired. $1800 for a ABS modulator!

I purchased a one year old 14 R1200GS. Purchased the same McGraw warranty for it from a dealer. MSRP on the warranty was about $1500. I negotiated it for a bit less.

A couple weeks ago I got an estimate to replace the problem transmission on the 31,000 mile GS. $8,900!!! I will be out of pocket for $1-2,000 because McGraw doesn't cover clutches and a couple other items. It's a long story.

I wish BMW offered factory warranties like Honda does. They are smart. BMW would be loosing money on near every bike it sold one on. (Can you tell I am a bit bitter over this transmission failure?)

·
Registered
529 Posts
I thought the 2014 and newer BMW 1200's were supposed to be more reliable. Apparently not.

They were on my short list before I bought my Wing. Glad I did not go that way.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts