GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought the 5 yr extended plan thru Mr.Miller at max cycle in Abilene TX. $585 i had a few more weeks to go for my 3 yr. My local dealer wanted well over $700 with tax. this one doesnt have the roadside, my ins.covers that anyway

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
Hopefully it's Honda's extended warranty, anything else and it's pretty much a waste of money.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Al said I'll be getting my packet from honda and its good at all honda shops. I've read where other people have gotten the 5 yr extended at around the same price point at time of purchase of bike, other shops have told me thats their cost and its just a courtesy sell.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The only place I know that you can't shop the extended warranty is Florida - you pay the Honda LIST price.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a left over 2015 level 3 that i purchased in apr 16 I only had a couple more weeks to decide to get the plan. with the HPP it does not cover audio or navigation. but it will cover toggles and buttons leading up to these units. this was verified thru service manager link at max cycle.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have a left over 2015 level 3 that i purchased in apr 16 I only had a couple more weeks to decide to get the plan. with the HPP it does not cover audio or navigation. but it will cover toggles and buttons leading up to these units. this was verified thru service manager link at max cycle.

A warranty that doesn't cover the things most likely to go wrong does not give me peace of mind.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I too got the extended warranty. Like all insurance you hope that you don't need it but nice to have that you do! I got mine mostly for the motor and drive train.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Guys. In Canada we always pay full price for the Honda plans but they recently swapped out my audio control panel as it had gone bad so maybe it was worth paying full price for an extra 3 years?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
The only place I know that you can't shop the extended warranty is Florida - you pay the Honda LIST price.
Florida dealers are prohibited by law to discount extended warranties (which are regulated by the Florida insurance commission). And out of state dealers are not supposed to sell and/or discount extended warranties to Florida residents. BUT – if you are a Florida resident, and you shop the internet diligently, you can find dealers who ignore the Florida BS.

I am a Florida resident, and bought “factory” extended warranties for my last 2 vehicles (a Mercury automobile and a Honda ST1300) at significant discounts from out of state dealers. And had no problems with the warranties being accepted by Florida Ford and Honda dealers.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Got a letter from Honda Care yesterday (about 10 months before the 3 year warrantee expires) for my 2017. The 60 month plan quoted is $1276.28 including $86.28 tax. They want a response within a month. Seems a bit pushy, and extremely high priced.

My previous 2002 that was a trade in never needed any warrantee work. This is my 6th Goldwing starting in 1994.

A friend just had an electronic module replaced for around $1100 (not under warrantte) on a Gen 2 GL1832cc. Mechanics do make a difference. Same company one town north fixed it after its other shop couldn't find the problem. Haven't heard of other issues for the average user in Gold Wing circles. Consumer Reports generally say extended warranties are not worth it.

Personally, have experienced an automotive issue where the dealer said an ignition switch was covered, but when I picked the car up it was deemed not to be a switch; they called it a pin and tumbler assembly. Since I never authorized non-warrantee work, I told them to put it back the way they found it. It would have cost them more labor so they let me have it for no cost. I cancelled the remaining extended service plan after that.

This forum may be a collection point for the rare occurrences on GLs. Has the build quality/complexity of design caused the product to be less reliable since moving production back to Japan?

·
Registered
735 Posts
My three years runs out in about 6 weeks, and I received the offer for extending the warranty yesterday in the mail. The cost seems excessive so I will pass the offer. In general, I don't think extended warranties are a good idea. I know that Consumer Reports always advised against them as a matter of course. I think I will just take my chances that the Goldwing will remain as trouble free as most seem to be.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Extended warranties is a game of averages.

They don't sell'em to loose money.

But do what makes you feel comfortable.

We've saved enough not buying them for cars, trucks, motorcycles, boat motors, lawn equipment, applicances, etc etc that even if we ever have a 'major' claim we'll be ahead of the game.
So far we haven't had a failure that would have been covered by a plan we could have bought.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts