GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 5 year extended warranty list for $1190 with towing. I was quoted $770 with towing and $690 without the towing. Any better prices out there?

·
Registered
52 Posts
The 5 year extended warranty list for $1190 with towing. I was quoted $770 with towing and $690 without the towing. Any better prices out there?
Shop around it can vary from dealer to dealer. Cant remember what I paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
247 Posts
Are you talking about the Honda extended warranty? I was told I have until the original warranty expires to purchase the extended one, but no price was mentioned. Also, how does a warranty from a company other than Honda compare? I wonder if the price of the extended warranty goes up the closer the bike gets to the expiration date of the original warranty?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Just called HDL and $799 for 60 month with roadside, $750 without roadside.
From Carter at Blueridge $770 and $694 without roadside. See this post as well. Warranty Expiration

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I am talking about the Honda Extended Warranty. I think ron1026 and Flyguy405 and myself are getting quotes from the same place.

·
Registered
247 Posts
So what's better about the Honda extended warranty as compared to one provided by another company? Does it cover more?

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
So what's better about the Honda extended warranty as compared to one provided by another company? Does it cover more?
The Honda Warranty is good at any Honda dealer anywhere. And, in my experience, they stand behind their product.

·
Registered
930 Posts
So a warranty provided by a company other than Honda limits where you can take the bike for service?
I have a warranty that is not Honda. I can take it to any Honda dealer for repairs if needed.
The warranty I have also covers audio and navigation.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have a warranty that is not Honda. I can take it to any Honda dealer for repairs if needed.
I'm just curious if the Honda warranty is more desirable because it provides a sense of "warm fuzzy" simply because it has the Honda name on it. If it actually provides something other warranties do not, that's a different story...I would think if anything, the Honda warranty would be more restrictive about where you can have repairs made...seems like they would want you to use only a Honda authorized service center...warranties from other companies probably would be less restrictive over authorized repair shops....

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Well, do tell! Policy from where? Cost? Have you used it?

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I'm just curious if the Honda warranty is more desirable because it provides a sense of "warm fuzzy" simply because it has the Honda name on it. If it actually provides something other warranties do not, that's a different story...I would think if anything, the Honda warranty would be more restrictive about where you can have repairs made...seems like they would want you to use only a Honda authorized service center...warranties from other companies probably would be less restrictive over authorized repair shops....
Many dealerships sell warranties and they work only for the specific dealer and I haven't heard anything good about them. They seem to find ways of weaseling out of covering things. And if the dealer closes up shop, you're SOL.

I really don't know about these other aftermarket warranties. I know I get at least one call every day from one of them and I'd never do business with any company that does annoying telemarketing crap.

I actually used my Honda warranty a few times on my 2006. Nothing show stopping but the most expensive thing was the NAVI display having dead spots - replacing that would have cost more than the warranty. But I also had left and right clusters replaced for sticking buttons. All were replaced with no pushback. So I made sure I got the Honda warranty with my 2017.

·
Registered
507 Posts
All the extended service plans I have read only require that the service be done by a qualified X mechanic, meaning, they have been to the school.
As for road service, some may be limited to a certain number of calls a year. Some may offer trip interruption, i.e. lodging but read the details. They will only cover $X amount for lodging, with a max per night and limit of nights. Don't assume you will live high on the hog at the Trump Hotel while waiting for your bike to be repaired. Think more in line with Motel 6 unless you want to cover the balance for an upgrade. Most likely, the repair shop will put your bike at head of the line to get ya back on the road as soon as possible.
Also, ask about modifications to the bike. Some will only cover a stone stock bike. No tuner, no slip ons, no after market heated seat, no car tire, etc. Yeah, the Magnuson-Moss act says they have to prove the problem was caused by the modification, but the warranty can simply say, no mods if ya want us to cover your bike.
So, if ya buy a warranty and ignore these points then go on a long trip and have a break down, don't be surprised when the claim is rejected and the work has to be paid for out of pocket.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Had the Honda Extended Warranty on my 2008, paid for itself 3x over. Alternator, left and right clusters and no deductibles. 3rd party warranty companies can go out of business, declare bankruptcy etc. Honda probably won't. My AZ dealer has used https://www.westernservicecontract.com/ for the last 15 years. I know of folks many folks that have had warranty work done with no issues. I just rather have the Honda warranty.

·
Registered
867 Posts

I can't prove this, but................... life itself has taught me not to be penny wise and pound foolish. My gut/life's experiances have told me you're going to get WAAY less pushback from HONDA if you have a HONDA warranty. I mean really..... of course !!! I'm not talking about what is 'supposed to' happen and/or 'ideally.' Stick with HONDA all the way. To me, this is a no-brainer.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I went with the Honda warranty extension mostly because a friend totaled his bike after 6 months. Honda refunded his extended warranty money. Honda not the insurance company (as he put it).

·
Registered
867 Posts
I went with the Honda warranty extension mostly because a friend totaled his bike after 6 months. Honda refunded his extended warranty money. Honda not the insurance company (as he put it).

You made the right business choice. Whatever your reason, doesn't it make COMMON sense that Honda is more likely to take of one if one uses THEIR warranty/services ?? Hello ?!?!?!

Of course !! Business/life 101. One hand washes the other.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Just got the 5yr from Blueridge. Call Carter, they sell 1-5 years plans

Reactions: Brian_Fenner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts