GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Has anyone who purchased the ext. warranty have it save your bacon$$$?? I plan on keeping my 04' which runs out of warranty this May. I'm sitting on the fence weather to buy it during this Holiday sale.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,462 Posts
$400 is cheap insurance if you plan to keep the bike
call HDL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,658 Posts
If it will give you peace of mind and you can afford it, then buy it. The extended warranty is after all just insurance. You are betting that the bike will break and Honda's betting it won't. If Honda was wrong more than it was right they wouldn't still be selling it.
 
G

·
I feel when I bought mine in '03 it was a piece-of-mind, but it seems Honda is covering less and less reguardless of want warrenty you got.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
I had the need to use my extended warranty 4 months after the original ran out. It saved me over 10 grand for one claim. :shock: Hopefully you never need it, but it sure came in handy for me! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Fr8Hauler said:
I had the need to use my extended warranty 4 months after the original ran out. It saved me over 10 grand for one claim. :shock: Hopefully you never need it, but it sure came in handy for me! :D
What was the issue with your motorcycle that saved you 10 grand??

I am also on the fence with the extended warranty issue.

Thanks,
Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
Brian,
To make a long story short, reverse locked up when I was on a trip and it took several months and many Honda reps, techs, etc. until it was finally determined to be the wiring harness.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Saved my bacon , My shock preload was gone it had been leaking . The dealer warrated my complete shock. They said w/o it my bill would have been about $1500

I bought mine just before the Honda warranty ran out . Hal for $400 :yes1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,309 Posts
I paid for ~40% of the cost of my extended warranty for a stupid, LITTLE thing - the spring that returns the CB PTT switch broke... No, I wouldn't have paid the $170~ out of my own pocket, but it was nice to drop it off at Honda in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon, instead of having to adapt some 79 cent spring from the hardware store...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,528 Posts
Yep, I bought it and it has already paid for itself. If I ever buy another new Wing and am going to keep it over the three years it will also have the extended warranty. Period, no questions asked.

The sad part about the warranty is it seems the dealers decide what is and what is not covered. I have a good dealer who takes good care of me.

Ross
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,496 Posts
laen said:
$400 is cheap insurance if you plan to keep the bike
call HDL
I'd purchase at that price.

wish that were true (the price) here in Florida ...

we seem to have some kind of "price control" regulations for insurance or extended warranties ...
booo ... hisssss....
:x

Dennis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,395 Posts
Yea, I heard here in Florida you cant buy but through Honda direct or something like that. Has to do with the State regulating insurance.

What price and where does one get the extended warranty here in Florida??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
Used mine 6 months after the original warranty ran out, when the clutch seal blew on my 2002. Would have cost me $660.00 if I had not had the extended warranty. For $100.00 a year it is cheap insurance.

Farmer Jack
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,496 Posts
FireEater said:
Yea, I heard here in Florida you cant buy but through Honda direct or something like that. Has to do with the State regulating insurance.

What price and where does one get the extended warranty here in Florida??
I'm not sure what the BEST price is ... but my dealer "offered" it to me at full list ... about $1,400 dollars.

I politely declined ... figured I've got a couple more years to find a better price; or move from Florida.

Dennis
 

·
Chard Member
Joined
·
13,075 Posts
wingwing said:
FireEater said:
Yea, I heard here in Florida you cant buy but through Honda direct or something like that. Has to do with the State regulating insurance.

What price and where does one get the extended warranty here in Florida??
I'm not sure what the BEST price is ... but my dealer "offered" it to me at full list ... about $1,400 dollars.

I politely declined ... figured I've got a couple more years to find a better price; or move from Florida.

Dennis
Nice dealer...... Not! :(

Full retail is $690. You can buy from HDL or any Honda dealer in the States.


Hal would love to sell a warranty at full retail! :wink:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,496 Posts
Red said:
Full retail is $690. You can buy from HDL or any Honda dealer in the States.
Red,
Thank you ... I did not know.
at that price I will probably get it

Dennis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
I got the full extended warranty. I think I paid around $650 or so.

If you can afford the bike, you should be able to afford the warranty. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,938 Posts
Neil, my riding buddy, used his for a replacement of his final drive after 150k miles. It more than paid for itself.

Mine's paid for and waiting to be used.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top