GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Wing has been totally bulletproof with only a rear seat heater switch replaced under warranty. That combined with the fact that I do my own wrenching has me hesitant to pony up for the extended warranty. I don't know outside of some unforseen catastrophic failure if it would be worthwhile. For those of you who have gotten one after the fact: How long did it take from your purchase date until it's activation confirmation was received?? In other words my bike is a couple of months from being 3 years old, How long do I have left to decide? :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
At the price you can get it for, I think it's a no-brainer. I plan on getting one at least 2 months before my regular warranty runs out.

·
Registered
603 Posts
IMHO ,This a very important purchase. Can't say about Hondas because I haven't owned one long enough, but my Harleys broke on a fairly regular basis. YHou catch up quick at $89/hour labor.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine expires April 12 and I ordered the 4 year extension last night from Hal for $445. I was at my local dealer last Saturday and he wanted over $750 for it. I look at it as cheap insurance. My luck don't buy it - major problems - buy it - no problems.

I've also noticed that it never rains when I have an umbrella :lol:

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I personally think it would be a poor decision not to get the extended warranty. I am at the end of mine the end of may and im not looking forward to not having the peace of mind I have now knowing that if I have any problems they would be at Hondas expense. Mine has more than paid for itself with bad switches and silly little repairs. Its a good thing to have.:thumbup:
Kurt

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I just ordered mine from Hal today and got that 10% discount.. Can't beat the price or the comfort of being protected.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Whether it is a no-brainer, or a poor decision not to get it is a matter of perspective.

My bike hit 7 years old this past September. I did not get the extended warranty. I did not expect to need it, and I didn't lose any sleep over not having it, so peace of mind was never an issue. I have never bought the extended warranty on any of my Fords or GM cars either, and never needed one. I saved $450, and I don't think I was just lucky. So in my case, it would have been a poor decision to buy it.

During the past 7 years, my bike has been in the shop twice. Once when it was about a year old to have the trunk latch adjusted, and the ECM bulletin performed, and again about a year after that to have the frame inspected.

Oil every 8000 miles, tires, brake pads, changed rear end oil once, flushed cooling system once, and an upgrade to a Progressive Suspension are the only things I have ever done to it.

I don't even know why I bought the silly motorcycle jack. It's only been used once, and that was just to swap out the rear wheel and tire.

What a boring bike!!!!!.................................. (knock on wood!)

·
Registered
3 Posts
warranty

My Wing has been totally bulletproof with only a rear seat heater switch replaced under warranty. That combined with the fact that I do my own wrenching has me hesitant to pony up for the extended warranty. I don't know outside of some unforseen catastrophic failure if it would be worthwhile. For those of you who have gotten one after the fact: How long did it take from your purchase date until it's activation confirmation was received?? In other words my bike is a couple of months from being 3 years old, How long do I have left to decide? :popcorn:
you have one day before your old 3 yr run out.but why wait i bought it from honda direct what a deal.now good until 2014.if you have the cash do it now. jimmy c

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Consider that if you sell your bike and it is 4 or 5 years old a buyer will feel much better if it has a warranty. Used bikes in the 10k to 15k price range will sell much easier and higher with the warranty.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
It's really a simple decision. If you plan on riding it and putting some serious miles on it - definitely get the extended warranty. If not, then don't sweat it as it "might" not have any problem(s). So far I've saved about $1800. when my final drive went south and a new one had to be installed. Even if you never use it, IMO it's good insurance as costs and labor add up quickly to far far more than the cost of the warranty if purchased on a good sale and reasonably priced.

DaleC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts