GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone extended the main USB cable outside the glovebox to a phone cradle on the handlebars? I want the option of starting/stopping/controlling my GoPro through my phone without disconnecting CarPlay. Was thinking a patch cable(lightning) through a rubber grommet similar to the USB 2 in the saddlebag might work. I was also hoping to drill the hole in the glovebox without removing it, but i know that’s wishful thinking.
Thanks for suggestions

·
Registered
942 Posts
I did and routed it up channel on left handlebar to my goldstrike phone holder.
Careful when you drill I hit side with drill because it was too big to get in compartment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
482 Posts
Been thinking about that as well... I had power and 3.5 run from the left pocket to left handle bar on my 14

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rmw700- I thought it might be difficult if not impossible to drill the hole with the compartment mounted. Do you have a pic you can upload? How big was the hole you drilled?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I cut out a thin tunnel in the top wall of the glove box and ran the wire up the handlebar under the cap to the phone holder. I’ll shoot a pic later.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just run the cable from the glove box to the ram mount on my handlebars and add a little slack for turning. I found that the glovebox door will still latch with the cable running through the gap. I have had zero problems with this shortcut.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a 3 mm jack cable in my other hole like the old wing I drilled a hole top right side center one inch down facing center and ran line through it to bars. Its a 5 minute job. I sealed it up with a little black silicone.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If you read through that thread, I think you'll find that there is already another hole with a grommet on the right side of the glovebox that you can use, so you don't have to make a new hole.
Fred is correct. The hole is hard to see in my pics but its in the right rear as you sit on the bike. The apple lightening cable is just long enough to work if you choose the right bar otherwise you will need to visit Best Buy. It may be easier to drill a small hole in the front but I chose to use the existing hole with the grommet.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have a 2005. There are two ways to run a cable out of the left cubby. One way is to run it beside the headset cable coming out beside the Glove box lid. Maybe you might have to break the little tab that holds the cable tight which I don't see is needed. The second way is what I did for my Freewire Cable. Using my Dremel, I cut/sanded a groove in the lip of the cubby box and run cable up to the Freewire mounted on top of the lid. Then I decided that the Freewire might not survive a rain or washing the bike. So, I repositioned in back into the cubby and ran the cable to the headset connection through that same groove. Inside the right side cubby, there is a power connector that I added a second accessory plug and run power to my device on my Ram Mount. The groove I made for that cable is close to the latch for that cubby and I made sure I had enough loop of the cable to account for the handlebars turning full left or right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts