GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my GL1800 I decided against the cb and cd player. I have been toying around with an idea. Why can't one use the handlebar switches/toggles on the GL and use them for something other than the CB functions? Not sure yet what i would put in its place.

Batman and James Bond kinda things keep popping up in my mind.

Just wondering if any of ya'll every thought about it or better yet have actually traced the wires down and changed them to do something.

·
Registered
443 Posts
There is a thread somewhere that Fred hooked his I-pod up to the controls. That would be cool but I went for the CB. Do a search or maybe someone here remembers it and will post

·
Registered
248 Posts
That is just so cool,

All I need now is for this economy to turn around so I get my discretionary income back again.

Right now I've got a $15.00 mp3 player in the left pocket which plays what it wants when it wants of the 65 tunes stored on it. I've got more control over my cat.... Still it beats hearing bloody adverts for debt consolidation, drug companies or legal services between every song...

Can I have some of that $700 Billion please...?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Switch

Thanks RedWilly. I like that thing...

Know anyone who has installed and used one of these?

·
Vendor
21,895 Posts
Back in the old days (2002) Apple provided a hard wired remote with every Ipod they sold. I hacked into mine and used the CB switches to control it.

Sadly, Apple no longer provides hard wired remotes, and the new model Ipods don't support the connector used on the old remotes. It really was pretty basic, I just unsoldered the existing wires on the CB switches, and wired the remote's switches in parallel to them. The only tricky part was soldering on the tiny circuit board. The whole circuit board was just slightly larger than a quarter.

What I would really like to do, is rewire those switches to control the GPS on the new bikes. That is where the GPS switch controls should be, instead of down by your knee.

You can see the whole gallery of photos here if you want to go look at them.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/ipod

·
Registered
855 Posts
i switched my CB mike switch to a high beam flasher. it's in the perfect spot and it's a momentary switch. works great and wouldn't want to be without it. super easy to do. why honda doesn't put a high beam flasher on wings is a mystery !!!!!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts