GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was warming up my bike and got off for something. I noticed some steam shooting straight down from the front part of the muffler. Turns out there is a 1/8" hole on the bottom of both mufflers just behind the seam under the chrome crash bars. Just something I never noticed before. I've never seen front holes on a muffler before. Trivia I guess.

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
Sid, Gary is incorrect. That is a port so you can lubricate your mufflers bearings. Squirt a few good shots of 10/40 in those holes every 10,000 miles. Check your service manual for further instructions! :wink:

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Guys,hold up,you forgot to tell him it has to be amsoil to properly lube your muffler bearings :p OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Registered
254 Posts
The hole in the left pipe is for access to adjust the muffler cogs, the one in the right is for muffler bearing inspection and lube. :a13:

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Red said:
Sid, Gary is incorrect. That is a port so you can lubricate your mufflers bearings. Squirt a few good shots of 10/40 in those holes every 10,000 miles. Check your service manual for further instructions! :wink:
Red,

Now you've done it. You've caused me to ruin my bike. I took your advice and decided to lube the muffler bearings since I had never done so before, and wow!! At first it was much quieter and smoother -- then the smoke started pouring out of the exhaust. I guess that I must have done something to ruin the bearings. I've talked with my dealer and they told me to bring it in and that they would try to fix the problem under the extended warranty -- they'd just have to get Mother Honda to approve it. I sure hope this works out as I think that these suckers are very expensive to replace. NOTE: Are you sure that the muffler bearings aren't sealed-grease bearings -- that might explain why the lubricant ruined them.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
wingnutzz said:
Red said:
Red,

Now you've done it. You've caused me to ruin my bike. I took your advice and decided to lube the muffler bearings since I had never done so before, and wow!! At first it was much quieter and smoother -- then the smoke started pouring out of the exhaust. I guess that I must have done something to ruin the bearings. I've talked with my dealer and they told me to bring it in and that they would try to fix the problem under the extended warranty -- they'd just have to get Mother Honda to approve it. I sure hope this works out as I think that these suckers are very expensive to replace. NOTE: Are you sure that the muffler bearings aren't sealed-grease bearings -- that might explain why the lubricant ruined them.
Wingnutzz,

What you actually did was ruin the pre-load on the bearings. It happens when you use too much oil. Ask me how I know :wink: :wink:

To re-adjust is easy. Just get your left handed monkey wrench and back the aduster nut off until it is loose. Then re-tighten until contact is made and go 27/64ths of a turn more. Then re-oil lightly and all will be good. Hope this helped..

Ross

·
Registered
792 Posts
I installed grease zerks and found that it only took 7.3 lbs of grease to be sure that the muffer bearings are good to go. I do pity the poor fool behind me when I gas it because the exta grease does tends to run a little when it's hot, but my muffer bearings are a OK.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
If you rotate the mufflers 180 degrees, they also serve as passenger foot warmers. :D

·
Registered
364 Posts
Mine runs rich so I installed pilot lights next to the small holes. Now really cool flames pour out the small holes when I accelerate ....

The kiddies like the show at nightime.... :D

It melts the snow on the road also....

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Hey Sid::

I bet you had no idea how much of an informative thread you would be starting with this one :wink: :wink: Come on, snow and ice melt :lol: :lol:

Ross

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am sure glad I read this. That is where I have been hooking up my chains for my trailer. :oops:

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll go with the zerk fittings idea. The hole looks like about the right size.

Either that or maybe I could route some copper line up to my full face helmet to supply warm air during winter.

For safety, I'll poke some pieces of sponge in the line to filter out dangerous fumes.

Come on Spring!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts