GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at triking my 2005 Wing with a Trike Shop conversion. I can either get an extra gas tank or extra trunk space. One installer says it will ultimately be easier to sell a trike with the extra gas tank more than the trunk space. He goes so far to say he won't sell a conversion without the extra gas tank. I don't tend to be an "iron butter" so I'm leaning toward the extra trunk space. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
524 Posts
I am doing a 2007 CSC Conversion by the factory. I have thought long and hard on this on. I finally decided to add the extra 3.4 gallon tank and it does not effect the trunk space in the CSC.
What this does is give me piece of mind in the back rural areas of America where gas stations may not be as close as they are on highways and urban areas. Also I considered that with the CSC and my small trailer the gas milage will not be what it was as just a bike.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm also having my 2004 Goldwing triked (CSC). I decided to go with the additional tank myself, but mainly to allow me the option to be choosy as to where I buy my gas. I can go the distance, but my wife can't so we stop frequently as the day goes by (120 miles, 80 miles, 60 miles - distance reduces as the travel day progresses). We carry refreshments with us so we try to make our stops at rest areas and scenic areas.
I prefer using brand name gas when we are traveling though and sometimes I have had to forgo that due to availability.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
FGH said:
He goes so far to say he won't sell a conversion without the extra gas tank.

That is because of the extra money that he will get for the tank. With a statement like that I personally would look for another place to spend my money. Trunk space is invaluable on a long trip. If your going to pull a trailer the gas problem should be a no brainier, just carry a 2.5 Gal can with you on the trailer. Just another opinion here.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
KJ5IX

Or, if you pull a trailer, trunk space should not be an issue... :wink: :lol: just funning there.....

It's a personal choice, I went with the extra tank on my CSC, just a warm and fuzzy thing....when 2 Up I can't see me needing the extra fuel, wife likes to stop aroung 120 miles for a brake, however when I ride by myself I sometimes I push it a little and the extra fuel will be nice...

I'm not familiar with Trike Shop kit so I don't know, but I'm not crazy about fuel in the trunk area, being possible to get rear ended....CSC mounts the fuel tank in between the frame rails, a little safer maybe??

Plus, any extras like that are better installed when the trike is being built and it adds to the resale value if one decides to sell and get a newer one...

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Trike Shop's fuel tank is not mounted in the trunk. The fuel cell goes between the trike's main frame rails, just above the differential.

An option for the conversion is to use the space where the gas tank would go for extra storage. The standard trunk (6 cubic feet) is not affected by the addition of the gas tank.

·
Registered
113 Posts
gas tank

I have a trike shop and elected to take the storage space. I feel that the space that was delegated for this is not that useful. It is a small cube in the right rear of the trunk and you would have to have something small to fit in it. I think if I had it to do over I would either get the gas tank or nothing at all. There are other ways to gain storage. Either a trailer or the use of your saddlebags that can fit on the back. I made mine into storage myself with little trouble. I can send you a pic if you like. I do love my trike shop trike. It does have a large trunk to begin with.

Just my opinion.

Thanks, Stan

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm with my "homey" Steve V. We're having a Hannigan installed on our 2001 GL and we thought a bigger tank was a great idea. It's 4.5 more gallons. Around New England, there are gas stations everywhere, not so out west. Just planning ahead. I'm too old and creaky to push. :!:

·
Registered
139 Posts
If my memory serves me correctly, only 3 trikes offer an aux. gas tank as an option on the GL 1800: CSC, Roadsmith and Hannigan. They are relatively pricey given that the capacities ranged from 3 to 5 gallons. At one time or another there have been posts about problems with all of them. Some were operator errors and some were electronic/design gremlins. I did not choose a trike that offered that option.
Mike

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
One of the things that I have considered in choosing a possible trike kit has been an aux tank. My choce of the Roadsmith was based in part on it.

The group that I ride with on some trips every year always likes to start the trip by going a tank to tank type thing for the first two which gets us down the big road and into some better senery. I do not want to be the one to force a stop and change the routine because I need gas that much sooner.

Yes they would not make a big deal out of it but it is more my feeling about it.

The bottom line for me is to get it and I like the setup that the Roadsmith has to offer in this regard.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I for one can't ride forever, like 150 miles +, but just need to get off sometimes. So that's going to be either a rest stop, or a gas station.Plus the fact it will cost some real major money just to purchase such an option. If your traveling out west, and might need extra gas, it makes sense just to carry a small can inside your trailer. I for one would feel uneasy with all that extra gas around my person, on the trike.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
FGH

I'll jump in on this one as well. Been in a seated postion for over 40 years, thus one might think that riding long periods of time would not be an issue, however even I need to get off the bike now and again. Seems to be about the same time as when the needle says fill'er up. You can always satisfy the storage need, as there are many great products out there and on this board that can help with that.

I find the quick break to be refreshing. Have done a few 500 and 600 mile days and all without issue with my current configuration.

Two more cents to add to your collection.

Take care
Wheels

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I have yet to figure this one out yet. With Holly's Champion trike and my bike pulling the trailer we always get within 1/10 of a gallon either way when we fill up. So, just how far to you ride before you fill up?? It would have to be well over 300 or 400 miles or it wouldn't be worth the extra money the tank costs.

B

·
0 Posts
BlueWing said:
I have yet to figure this one out yet. With Holly's Champion trike and my bike pulling the trailer we always get within 1/10 of a gallon either way when we fill up. So, just how far to you ride before you fill up?? It would have to be well over 300 or 400 miles or it wouldn't be worth the extra money the tank costs.
Bluewing,

Are you saying Holly's trike - with no extra tank - will go 400 miles? The Gold Wing tank holds 6.74 gallons. That would mean you are getting 59.35 mpg. I never got over 38 mpg on my Wing and 34 as a trike. If I got 59 mpg, I wouldn't worry about an extra tank either.

At 38 mpg and a 6.74 gallon tank, I had a maximum range of 256 miles. I have been out west where the route we took was close to 250 miles between gas stations. If we had been on the trike and didn't have an extra tank, we would have been stranded 'cause 6.74 x 34 = 229. With the aux tank our capacity is 10 gallons times 34 mpg = 340 miles. Quite a safety factor.

And the aux tank is as safe as the OEM tank. It sits right behind it between the frame rails.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Beastie, I think he is saying that UNLESS you will be riding 300-400 miles w/o stopping for gas, it would not be worth it. Champion doesn't offer it, but we usually stop every 150-180 miles just to stretch, so not an issue for me.

When I was at elevation in Colo. this summer, I was getting well into the 50's per gal.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Whoa, who says that just because you can go an extra distance without FUELING means that you're gonna go that far without STOPPING? Gas tanks are one thing, riders tanks are another. :wink:
Cruising range is a function of miles per gallon and gallons of capacityand bladder range is a function of age, condition and beverage intake. Don't forget co-rider range. Don't try to cruise past too many "shopping oppurtunities" :D :D

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
pajim said:
Whoa, who says that just because you can go an extra distance without FUELING means that you're gonna go that far without STOPPING? Gas tanks are one thing, riders tanks are another. :wink:
Cruising range is a function of miles per gallon and gallons of capacityand bladder range is a function of age, condition and beverage intake. Don't forget co-rider range. Don't try to cruise past too many "shopping oppurtunities" :D :D
Yep, we tend to get some "squirming around" in the backseat around the 125 marker. :lol: :lol:

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
I did not get the extra tank...need to stop every few hours anyway. I also did not like the idea of another thing that could cause a problem or leak or whatever...you know, Murphy's Law...so I didn't really see the need for it and didn't want to ask for a prospective problem...KISS...

·
Registered
60 Posts
We have a 2005 GL 1800 with the Trike Shop conversion. Wouldn't do without the extra 5 gal. It's nice to have 350 miles before fill up. I usually pump up the extra gas at 1/4 tank and it's nice to watch the fuel gage move up instead of down! We still take brakes every 100 miles, but not always for gas. Get the exta tank. No trunk space lost at all.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts