·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ummm… That many left over parts, and I'd be worried that there were a few empty bolt holes on the bike! Either way, I NEVER throw away spare parts. Screws, nuts, bolts, washers, etc - if it isn't actually broken, I keep it in a bin of similar parts. If I know it came from a specific place, and might someday need to be put back in that same place (i.e., installed Baker wings, that came with mirror screws, so I saved the original ones), I save them in a marked baggie in my "motorcycle parts" area in my garage.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Put them with all my other extra pieces and parts

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Trash can. I’m getting good at it. I’m getting at the age where I would rather spend my time not sorting through stuff like that to put it away or retrieving it when I want it.

The local hardware stores are better at organizing that stuff than I am.

If I lived where it wasn’t convenient to go to the hardware store than I might save it.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I keep small parts like that in a single container and for as long as I have the bike. Every so often I'll need a Honda fastener. Most of the time I can find just what I want. And sometimes friends are looking for a fastener for their bike. Local sources wont be able to match what Honda installed, And ordering one little fastener is no fun and too time consuming.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
That big gold bolt helps control the hyperdrive on your bike. Without it you will be limited to 130 mph. Pity the poor souls on the new bike that are limited at 112 mph!..........

Anyway, I use to have a small box full of metric bolts etc from adding stuff to bikes, saddlebags, different seats, etc... things that required different bolts supplied by the aftermarket maker... I kept them in case I "needed" them... After 10 years or so, I've never needed them. Moving from MT to NM, they went into the trash. What rare times I need something, it was never what I had and I could get it in the metric section of my ACE hardware or just order online.

I do have a large tackle box with two rows of trays full of various SAE bolts, nuts, screws... and many things in there I know have been in there for over 20 years.... I hate it when I'm going through the box for something and find something I didn't even know I had!... as "just last week" I had bought the same thing to fix something as I "knew" I didn't have it.... only to find out later that I did....

Makes you wonder how many tons of stuff are sitting around in all our shops / houses made for a purpose but never used.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I go crazy trying to figure out where they go and why I didn't install them.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Just like my dad, I keep them, somewhere, for my kids to throw away, after I'm gone.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Assuming this is a joke since many of those parts aren't even something on a Wing.

If it was real, I'd say this...if someone really has this many leftover parts after doing simple jobs like tires, bakes and a radiator flush, I'd suggest they'd be wiser to not wrench on their bike any more.

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
What do you guys do with left over parts at the completion of a project?

In your case, I'd separate out the only 2 OEM parts, the valve stem support, and the m/c bolt cover, and save those separate from all the others.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Come ON guy's...You gotta laugh, now this was actually quite a funny post............Loved it!!

Ronnie

Reactions: gulfrider

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Put them in an empty coffee can and use duct tape to seal the top. Attach this can to the inside of the rear fender of a friends Goldwing. If they say anything about noise, insist that you don’t hear what they’re talking about.
-OR-
Mix them with about half a quart of dirty oil and dump this on the ground under a friends bike. Act very concerned when they discover this.
-OR-
When a friend is working on their bike mix a few of these in with the pile of stuff they’ve removed from their bike. Might as well share the experience.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Put them in an empty coffee can and use duct tape to seal the top. Attach this can to the inside of the rear fender of a friends Goldwing. If they say anything about noise, insist that you don’t hear what they’re talking about.
-OR-
Mix them with about half a quart of dirty oil and dump this on the ground under a friends bike. Act very concerned when they discover this.
-OR-
When a friend is working on their bike mix a few of these in with the pile of stuff they’ve removed from their bike. Might as well share the experience.
I and some unnamed buddies have actually done this.
One of our group had went out and bought an 883 Sportster, figured out rather quickly he needed "more motor".
He spent a ton of money and had a 1200 kit installed with new exhaust, cams, etc.
We gave him about a week or so to break it in...Then the fun began.
Every so often "someone" would leave a small puddle of oil on the ground under the tip of his exhaust and leave a drop or 2 on the exhaust.
After a few trips back to the shop they finally told him "Look-This is an old trick and your buddies are screwing with you!"
Well he finally forgave us and as I recall he got some of us back. All in good fun.>:)

Reactions: Bluehighways

·
Registered
811 Posts
Plastic bin - I keep a separate one for the GL1800. Just in case.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts