GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the cable Honda sells for the left saddlebag and the one they sell for the trunk one & the same?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2020 DCT w/Airbag so no center pocket to have a USB cable, but have them pre-installed in the left saddlebag and trunk. I want to run a USB cable up to the handlebars so I can plug in my phone and eventually use Android Auto when that update finally comes out. I assume I need the 39190-MKC-305 but wondering how long that will be? Anyone know the length?

Assuming I'll have to add an additional USB cable to reach the handlebars. I'm hoping to have a USB-A (female) port with water proof cover sitting on the handlebars where I can just use a short cable to plug in the phone. This way, I can easily use USB-microB or USB-C depending on the device I decide to use. Anyone know of such a solution and happen to have part numbers?

If not, I'll settle for just running a USB cable down to the cable that's plugged into the radio head unit and zip tying it to the handlebars to plug into the phone.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a 2020 DCT w/Airbag so no center pocket to have a USB cable, but have them pre-installed in the left saddlebag and trunk. I want to run a USB cable up to the handlebars so I can plug in my phone and eventually use Android Auto when that update finally comes out. I assume I need the 39190-MKC-305 but wondering how long that will be? Anyone know the length?

Assuming I'll have to add an additional USB cable to reach the handlebars. I'm hoping to have a USB-A (female) port with water proof cover sitting on the handlebars where I can just use a short cable to plug in the phone. This way, I can easily use USB-microB or USB-C depending on the device I decide to use. Anyone know of such a solution and happen to have part numbers?

If not, I'll settle for just running a USB cable down to the cable that's plugged into the radio head unit and zip tying it to the handlebars to plug into the phone.
I believe the bike will accommodate a 305 or a A31, not both. The Airbag model already has the A31 so there is no port to connect the 305 to. Of course, you could disconnect the A31...................

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I'm after! Just want a charging port in the trunk to charge a tablet, laptop, etc. Or usually a friends cellphone;) . Just wondering in the cables are the same or not.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I believe the bike will accommodate a 305 or a A31, not both. The Airbag model already has the A31 so there is no port to connect the 305 to. Of course, you could disconnect the A31...................
I thought that the head unit has 3 ports for USB. Can someone confirm that? If so, I guess the next question is how many ports support charge/data/mobile verses charge/data. As long as two ports can support mobile I could have one for my handlebars and one in the trunk. Then I would use the one in the saddlebag just for charging or data. If there is only one mobile, I would use it on the handlebars but still want to use the trunk and saddlebag for charge/data use cases.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This post from another forum has some information and pictures on how to change the connectors so you can have the usb1 cable where you want it, I put the usb saddle bag cable into the top case and switched the connector index's then plugged the top case cable into usb 1 so the phone can be the the top case.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I guess what I am trying to find out is if there are three (3) USB ports on the head unit under the seat? I've seen some videos where it appears that there are three. My goal is to have all three hooked up with one to the trunk (existing), one to the saddlebag (existing), and one to the handlebar (new). The intention is to have the phone w/Android Auto on the handlebars. I suppose I could still use Android Auto (when it's available in the update) with my phone in the trunk and skip the handlebar concept but I still would like to have an option of a USB connection at the handlebars without sacrificing the existing connections in the trunk and saddlebag.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
There is only two USB ports.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There are only two USB ports under the seat. Honda assigns specific functionality to the port (USB1/USB2). e.g. the update can only be done in USB1. The cables are electronically equivalent and only vary by length and how they attach to the bike at the final endpoint.

I added a third, power only, USB port (actually two) by hooking up a battery tender to the accessory port (I did not want always on because I might drain the battery) into which I plugged a Battery Tender Female Cigarette Adapter Accessory Cable and a double USB Quick charger Car Charger, Anker Quick Charge 3.0 39W Dual USB Car Charger Adapter, PowerDrive Speed 2 for Galaxy S10/S9/S8/S7/S6/Plus, Note 9, Poweriq for iPhone 11/XS/Max/XR/X/8/7, Ipad Pro, LG, Nexus, and More .
This allows me two have two fast charging-only ports in the trunk that only consume power when the bike is on. I also find that they charge faster than Honda's USB ports because they are fast chargers capable of 9v if the device can use it. This required me to cut a hole in the truck down to under the seat to run the wire.

I keep a USB thumb drive in the in the saddlebag attached to USB port 2 with all my music and a USB-C cable in the front cubby to attach my phone when I need to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts