GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 Goldwing is puting out some extreme heat off the fairing exahusts. I have Baker air wings on both sides and it deflects alot of heat, but just below the bottom air wing, (about where your shins are) WOW is it hot. The hot air goes back and right up in the passengers body and face.

I have the shark fins over the engine side vents, which may be directing some heat back along the sides.

Is there something to reduce this heat from my passenger. In Oklahoma it is already 105 degrees and we don't want to add to that.

Thanks sgtbush207

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have better luck when the Bakers are positioned to where the wind is NOT blowing on me in the hot weather for the reason you describe.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
In the summer, close the lower (smaller) baker wing on each side and open the larger one. In the winter you can sometimes get additional heat by closing the top wing and opening the wing. But yes, when you open the lower (smaller wing), it channels heat from the engine right onto you. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just had the same problem coming through the Pan Handle. It was 106 and when my wife held a thermometer down by her legs it was 190 degrees. Certain positions with the Baker Wings helped, but not much. Big engine and high temps, I doubt much can be done.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My 2009 Goldwing is puting out some extreme heat off the fairing exahusts. I have Baker air wings on both sides and it deflects alot of heat, but just below the bottom air wing, (about where your shins are) WOW is it hot. The hot air goes back and right up in the passengers body and face.

I have the shark fins over the engine side vents, which may be directing some heat back along the sides.

Is there something to reduce this heat from my passenger. In Oklahoma it is already 105 degrees and we don't want to add to that.

Thanks sgtbush207
You don't have the warm vent open do you? Top of left pocket.

..louie

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have heard the shark fins ADD heat to the rider...:shrug:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Take off the shark fins, and close the lower wing of the air wings. It will help, but some situations will let the radiators cook a bit. Wings are still cooler than most bikes.

Best wishes.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I agree i do the following
Close the bottom. Top half open. Foot warmer closed. Open windshield vent. Drink lots of water. Long sleeves. Yep.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Engine heat

I have the lower vent closed. I have the lower Baker wing closed also. The lower wing is doing its job OK. It is just below the Baker wing that you can really feel the heat.

I saw a ad for Baker Trike Wings that mount on the crash bar. I don't know if that may help suck some of the lower heat away from the bike? Anyone have these, and do they work ?

Thanks sgtbush207

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Take off the shark fins, and close the lower wing of the air wings. It will help, but some situations will let the radiators cook a bit. Wings are still cooler than most bikes.

Best wishes.
:thumbup:

Don't use the Trike leg wings on a 2 wheeler. Bad aerodynamics???
Get the ones for a 2 wheeler they will help quite a bit. They will pull the hot air out further around you an passenger.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the shark fins and noticed the same heat problem. I like the look but you might be happier without them in the summer

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
The shark fins is most of your problems as they pull the rad back into the bike. Plus one on the baker leg wings they work in summer and winter.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
i don't even know what shark fins are, but if they are an add-on that's a good bet of the problem. I've ridden a lot of motorcycles, ridden a lot of miles at 100 degrees plus and I was just so happy how great the goldwing does in stock form in hot weather.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I took the lower Baker wings off and installed a pair of Show Chrome deflectors, which are maybe 4-5 inches longer than the Baker lowers. Pretty much eliminated the excess heat for me.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have read on this board several times about the shark fins pulling radiator heat into the cabin.
Do not have them myself, so no personel experience.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I removed the shark fins from mine and it is 100% better but still in 105 weather its gonna be hot. There is no easy way to get the shark fins off.they are held on with silicone so I had to melt the shark fins with a heat gun and get em off.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Between the upper and lower Baker wings; there is no reason to feel engine heat. Being for S. Florida, it gets hot here. At speed, the ambient temperature should not be a problem. What is a problem is the hot asphalt on a hot summer day.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I took the lower Baker wings off and installed a pair of Show Chrome deflectors, which are maybe 4-5 inches longer than the Baker lowers. Pretty much eliminated the excess heat for me.
I also have the Show Chrome deflectors and they work very well. They mount right behind the radiator opening. (sorry not on yet in bike pic.) Also work good turned in during cold to direct the heat to you.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
You don't have the warm vent open do you? Top of left pocket.

..louie
If you are talking about the vents above the left and right fairing pockets below the windshield:
1. Those were eliminated in 2006 w/the intro of the premium audio sytem(larger speakers took the room previously used for those vents). OP's is a 2009.
2. They were not warm air vents anyway! They allowed ambient temp air in from the intakes that were along side the headlamps(also done away with in 06).
A lot of the heat your wife got on that 190 reading was not coming from the engine.
To the OP, a lot of of what you're getting is heat that "boils" up off the road in temps of 100+ degrees. Even gets "rough" on the "concrete slab" in those temps.
Also, take the shark grilles off and throw them away.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Also remember that chill factor reverses above 98 degrees. Any 105 degree air blowing on you at speed is going to feel like 110 degrees.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts