GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here we go again with the dealer that refused to mount my ct on my bike and I ended up buying a new set of stones. Friday I recd my new super brace to put on the front of the bike. Read instructions for installation and one of the things was to put it on the center stand, take front fender off and rotor covers and loosen the pinch bolts on both sides. To my surprise, the pinch bolts were loose on both sides. I called the dealer immediately to inform them that one of their a--hole mechanics left the pinch bolts loose. This makes three times that I have had problems with my bike after leaving the dealer.:evil: 1) Found pinch bolts loose. 2) Found one lug nut loose on the rear rim after new tires were installed. 3) Rear end plug was left loose after service and the oil drained out all over the rotor, caliper and tire on right side. I'm beginning to think that somebody there does not like me or trying to kill me. :eek:4:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Wow! I'd say it's time to find a new dealer!:22yikes:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Dealer Service Issues

:wrong:

I've been told that the two Honda dealers (service centers) in Delaware are just as incompetent! You would think the Honda Organization would make it a priority to improve or upgrade their dealers service performance! I assume or hope these customers file complaints. It seems, based on comments on this and other forums, most of the service departments just don't give a damn and/or the techs are not trained properly.

I think it's time for the Honda organization to step it up and review and improve their service organization.

I wonder who trains these people? I hope it's not MMI (UTI.edu) or similar.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Once upon a time I had a Honda Shadow. Custom paint, neat bike.

Took it in for a set of new shoes. Coming home I kept hearing something rattle and when I went across some railroad tracks I really could hear it.

Stopped and , yep pinch bolts loose.

Since that day, never had a bike to a dealer. I do my own work.

I suppose if the transmission in the 1800 goes south, it will go to a good dealer I know.

Other than that, nope. Never again.

When I purchased my 08, both tires were low, one had 18 psi in it the other was like 24 psi. Coolant was low. And right signal did not work. They delivered it this way.

I was patient for a bit. I watched them change the bulb twice, mess with this and mess with that.

Finally I told them , look you yahoo's change the short pig tail wire harness, you have power to it, but not through it........DuH...........

Blind leading the blind.

They are something. My work truck, been to the shop twice already for a door lock. Today I fixed it with a couple wire ties for now. Tired of messing with them. Will run to Napa and get some new snap fasteners and fix it myself.

Thing is a motorcycle , the tires and wheels are important, life and death important. No dealer will ever touch my wheels.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Not sure but honda may not care. I think they make very little $$$ on the wing compared to their overall line-up of products. That may be why...still no excuse.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
As usual, tend to agree with what Kit has said. I try to do as much as I can myself, because at least I know what I've screwed up :oops:. At the very least, check and recheck the work, no matter who does it.

And file a customer concern report with Honda. While nothing apparent may be done, it definitely can't improve if they don't know about it.

And maybe time to find a nice independent dealer/mechanic that can help you out - check with your local forum members on the board here, or talk with some of the local riding chapter guys.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
OK, here we go again with the dealer that refused to mount my ct on my bike and I ended up buying a new set of stones. Friday I recd my new super brace to put on the front of the bike. Read instructions for installation and one of the things was to put it on the center stand, take front fender off and rotor covers and loosen the pinch bolts on both sides. To my surprise, the pinch bolts were loose on both sides. I called the dealer immediately to inform them that one of their a--hole mechanics left the pinch bolts loose. This makes three times that I have had problems with my bike after leaving the dealer.:evil: 1) Found pinch bolts loose. 2) Found one lug nut loose on the rear rim after new tires were installed. 3) Rear end plug was left loose after service and the oil drained out all over the rotor, caliper and tire on right side. I'm beginning to think that somebody there does not like me or trying to kill me. :eek:4:
What did they say?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealer stepped up to the plate!!!

I recd a phone call from the dealer Wednesday that mounted my tires a few months ago and left some things loose during the installation and service. They informed me that they fired the service manager and went back thru my records to find out who serviced my bike and also fired the mechanic. I hate to see somebody lose their job over this but maybe this is what needed to be done. The guy that called me was the new service manager of two days. He informed me that he was hired to clean up the service and parts dept. I am glad to see that Honda saw a problem and fixed it. I informed the new service mgr that I am still reluctant to bring my bike back to them even though I have a lengthy service contract with them. Should I go back and give them another try? :shock:

·
Registered
537 Posts
I recd a phone call from the dealer Wednesday that mounted my tires a few months ago and left some things loose during the installation and service. They informed me that they fired the service manager and went back thru my records to find out who serviced my bike and also fired the mechanic. I hate to see somebody lose their job over this but maybe this is what needed to be done. The guy that called me was the new service manager of two days. He informed me that he was hired to clean up the service and parts dept. I am glad to see that Honda saw a problem and fixed it. I informed the new service mgr that I am still reluctant to bring my bike back to them even though I have a lengthy service contract with them. Should I go back and give them another try? :shock:
After all that, I bet your bike will get the best care of any bike in the shop
now. :cool:

·
Registered
441 Posts
If one of them is on Rt202 just over the PA line then you're at least 1/2 right. :agree:

:wrong:

I've been told that the two Honda dealers (service centers) in Delaware are just as incompetent! You would think the Honda Organization would make it a priority to improve or upgrade their dealers service performance! I assume or hope these customers file complaints. It seems, based on comments on this and other forums, most of the service departments just don't give a damn and/or the techs are not trained properly.

I think it's time for the Honda organization to step it up and review and improve their service organization.

I wonder who trains these people? I hope it's not MMI (UTI.edu) or similar.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Depends? Will they mount your next CT? :shrug:

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
yes

Should I go back and give them another try? :shock:
Most definitely. As was mentioned, you'll probably get great service since they know who you are. But the main thing is, the guy stepped up to the plate and personally contacted you and told you they intended on doing better. Concern for the customer goes a long way in my book.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Heck ya !! That's super cool !!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I'd go back to them. But I'd check the pinch bolts before driving off.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
<...>Should I go back and give them another try? :shock:
Yep.

Inspect their work; inform svc manager that a follow-up note will go to Honda (and them) letting all concerned how things turned out.

Be honest.

Then, after all that, if at all possible, YOU learn how to do some of those things yourself.

I"m with Kit as well; mine will never be in a service bay, unless it's catastrophic.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
This is just me.

I would stop by and say Hi and shake the mans hand in person . Talk to him a bit. Tell him I appreciate his efforts.

But ya know, first impressions and things over the years do influence our decisions.

But no, I had something similar locally. I jumped all over them about the things lacking on the delivery of my last bike, so they changed the entire delivery set up and even came up with a check sheet.

Offered me a years free service.

I told him Thanks but no Thanks .

I will do my own service. I guess I just do not trust them at all. It is what life teaches one over the years. I know the bolts are tight when I do the work. I know the brakes are installed properly when I do the work. I know the tire bead is not nicked when I install it.

Trust over the years has never been earned. Same with my new jeep. They are not a bit better. They do not even know the proper air pressure for that model.

Put a scotch lock wire connector on the A/C. Took it in and wasted time twice, finally tore it all apart myself and there it was. Intermittent electrical gremlin, the scotch lock was the reason .

All properly soldered and shrink wrapped now. I did it.

They are all the same.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts