GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where are you mounting EZ Pass? I had it on the underside of the trunk lid on my last bike and it worked well. If anybody has tried that, does it read OK?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Where are you mounting EZ Pass? I had it on the underside of the trunk lid on my last bike and it worked well. If anybody has tried that, does it read OK?
I velcro'd it to the underside of the lid of the cubbie. When I get near the toll I push the button to open it up, pass through and then close it again.

·
Registered
19,256 Posts
I have a small box. I keep it in the locking GAS CAP RELEASE storage space on right side

Reactions: jfink

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought a clear plastic pouch made of heavy duty vinyl from Aerostich. It zips closed, and has two straps with Velcro fasteners that attach it to my left forearm. I keep my IPASS in it. Always know where it is, and don't have to worry about it wandering off while I'm having lunch at a truck stop and the bike's parked outside. You can find it here: https://www.aerostich.com/suits/suit-accessories/aerostich-hd-sleeve-window-pocket.html

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I keep mine in the locking side pocket. If it doesn't read, they can bill me by cross referencing my license plate.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Original location was in the trunk, would not register, had to move it to the right side cubbie with the fuel hatch button.
Used velcro pads to keep it from rattling around.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I keep it in the glove box above the fuel door. No issues with it triggering from there with the lid closed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Spray Painted my EZ-Pass Black and mounted in the front under the windshield. Works perfectly and is barely noticeable. Don't even think about it when driving through tolls. (btw that is Weyerbacher brewery sign in the background - one of the first and best to bring high ABV full featured beers to the US market)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Spray Painted my EZ-Pass Black and mounted in the front under the windshield. Works perfectly and is barely noticeable. Don't even think about it when driving through tolls. (btw that is Weyerbacher brewery sign in the background - one of the first and best to bring high ABV full featured beers to the US market)
You know this is going to start a highjack. St. Arnolds here in Houston was the first microbrewery in Texas. Started a year before Weyerbacher. AND ... St Arnold is the patron saint of beer ... just sayin' :wink2:

Reactions: laen

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well I did say "one of the first"......
BUT I also said "high ABV".... Dude, I'm sure St Arnolds is excellent, but you only have one beer on the list above 7%. Weyerbacher has 18 or more - probably 75% of their offerings. Not saying high ABV makes a great beer. Just saying high ABV makes a great beer. ;)

https://weyerbacher.com/beers/

·
Registered
419 Posts
I rarely keep mine in the bike, They have my license plate, they check with that. Here in SoCal they are now issuing small stickers for car windshields, but not ready for motorcycles just yet

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Maybe they need to change the name to "PIA" pass.:wink2:
Looks like its certainly not EZ.:smile2:

·
Registered
963 Posts
Maybe they need to change the name to "PIA" pass./forums/images/GL1800riders_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
Looks like its certainly not EZ./forums/images/GL1800riders_2015/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
With our infrastructure crumbling, and volume of traffic increasing, all tolls should be eliminated. Get the revenue another way. The last thing we need is something to further impede traffic. The toll systems are a huge beurocrocy. Think of the overhead with all the equipment and employees. They could recoup the net revenue by adding a few cents to the many taxes already in place. Fuel, meals, lodging etc....

·
Banned
435 Posts
With our infrastructure crumbling, and volume of traffic increasing, all tolls should be eliminated. Get the revenue another way. The last thing we need is something to further impede traffic. The toll systems are a huge beurocrocy. Think of the overhead with all the equipment and employees. They could recoup the net revenue by adding a few cents to the many taxes already in place. Fuel, meals, lodging etc....
I agree the overhead is high, and I do not like that many toll systems are outsourced to third party companies that take a HUGE chunk of the profits.

However, I don't think increasing general taxes is the answer, either. Taxes affect EVERYONE, from all walks of life. Most of us on this forum are probably pretty lucky. We own Goldwings and/or other motorcycles, so chances are we have some disposable income. It's easy to forget/ignore/overlook others who struggle, financially. Taxes hurt everyone equally. Toll roads do have the benefit of only placing the financial burden on those who choose to use them.

As for the EZ-Pass, I have two.

I have a "full" exterior EZ-Pass transponder that is really designed to be screwed onto a front license plate. I find this transponder hilarious. Partially because it is inappropriate for a motorcycle, and also because I live in North Carolina -- a state that does not issue front license plates. I leave this transponder at home, most of the time. I only take it with me if I'm traveling out of state.

For normal riding, I have a Quick Pass exterior "sticker" transponder. It's less than 1/2" tall and maybe 4-ish" long. I have it stuck to the bottom of my windshield. This works on the toll roads in NC and a few other states (although not nearly as many as EZ-Pass, hence why I keep one of those transponders around).

·
Registered
867 Posts
I agree the overhead is high, and I do not like that many toll systems are outsourced to third party companies that take a HUGE chunk of the profits.

However, I don't think increasing general taxes is the answer, either. Taxes affect EVERYONE, from all walks of like. Most of us on this forum are probably pretty lucky. We own Goldwings and/or other motorcycles, so chances are we have some disposable income. It's easy to forget/ignore/oversee others who struggle, financially. Taxes hurt everyone equally. Toll roads do have the benefit of only placing the financial burden on those who choose to use them.

As for the EZ-Pass, I have two.

I have a "full" exterior EZ-Pass transponder that is really designed to be screwed onto a front license plate. I find this transponder hilarious. Partially because it is inappropriate for a motorcycle, and also because I live in North Carolina -- a state that does not issue front license plates. I leave this transponder at home, most of the time. I only take it with me if I'm traveling out of state.

For normal riding, I have a Quick Pass exterior "sticker" transponder. It's less than 1/2" tall and maybe 4-ish" long. I have it stuck to the bottom of my windshield. This works on the toll roads in NC and a few other states (although not nearly as many as EZ-Pass, hence why I keep one of those transponders around).

Wow. Regarding the crux of your post..............DING DING DING DING !!!!

Like you said, most of are lucky/fortunate, whatever you want to call it. Yes. Sometimes people ( some here on this site sometimes ) complain about things that are, in the general scheme of things, NOTHING to complain about. Yes.

Remember how EZ Pass was 40 - 50 years ago ??? .........................exactly. Be grateful you don't even have to stop. ESPECIALLY on a bike. Yes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts