GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be triking my 06 the end of Feb. and would like comments on the EZ steer. Do you really need it? I would really like to hear for those with and those with out. I will decide if I should get it or not from the comments from this board.
Thanks,
Hawkeye :?

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Definitely get the rake kit...I have ridden trikes without it, and there is a WORLD of difference! Which conversion are you going with? There are some that claim to not need it...I love my CSC with the rake. Good luck with your triking!

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
I had a 02 Wing with a Champion kit WITHOUT the rake kit. Good gravy it was like driving a Mac truck! I was worn out at the end of a 300 mile ride, my arms ached....It always drifted to the low side of the road and was a bear fighting it all day.... :eek:4:

I now have a 07 with a CSC kit WITH the rake kit, what a difference, it's like power steering....while the trike still drifts to the low side, it's nothing to control it....easy handling.....positive steering control.... :yes:

In a word, GET IT!!!!! I would not be without some type of rake kit on a trike..... :yes1:

The only trike I've ever ridden that didn't need it was the Euro trike, but it has a 4000.00 front end on it.. :22yikes: ..leading link with a car tire, cool but pricey.

·
Registered
336 Posts
EZ Steer

For what its worth, the Honda dealer where I purchased my Lehman also is a CSC dealer. They will not build a CSC without the rake kit. They have been building trikes for a long time and I respect their opinion. I personally do not see a down side to getting the rake no matter what brand of kit you buy. Enjoy the trike, wife and I love ours. Kruzez, Dave

G

·
Without a lot of comments I add my vote FOR EZ Steer. You can always add it later but why not just start out right.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I have 12K on my kit and no rake kit. It does require some upper body strength, but is great on the straight roads. I think I will get it soon, just too lazy to put it on. 90% will say they would not be without it. You can always put it on later....but....

·
Registered
238 Posts
I test rode both with and without E'z steer. I ordered mine with. My wife and I like to travel long distances on our bike and I don't think I would enjoy it without the E'z steer. I would recommend that you test ride some different trikes kits and if possible some with and some without the E'z steer. For what a trike conversion costs it is wise to make the right decision about which kit you want. The E'z steer can be added, but I think if you tried it both ways you would prefer to do it up front.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Get your trike kit, ride it, then make up your own mind. I've ridden lots of trikes including Boss Hoss. I personally wouldn't be without the kit. You can always add the rake kit after your trike is made. Enjoy your trike, its a whole different world of fun.
Capt Bob

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Ok, here is the skinny. We bought Holly's Champion new and did not have a rake kit put into it. She rode it all year without complaining. You can ride a trike without it. It does steer harder and you will notice it most when your going slow. Back to the story. The next year I had a rake kit put on her trike. She just loves it. The rake kit makes it much easier when you put in either a long day or a full day of riding curves. Is it worth it? Yep, every penny. Can you get by without it? Yep, and if that means you getting a trike or not then by all means get the trike and have it put on at another time. Our trike dealer installed it at no cost other then the price of the rake kit. Holly just wouldn't justify the cost for the benefit when we bought the trike. After having it installed she would never want a trike without it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just curious, but is there anyone who actually prefers to ride a trike WITHOUT a rake kit? :?

If so, it might be interesting to know why (benefits?) and on what kit.

·
Registered
224 Posts
ez steer

I built my own trike, I was told that the 1800's did not need the ez steer so I built it without it, on my first ride I knew that the way it steered when I went into a curve and had drifted into the other lane and pulling and pushing the handle bars as hard as I could, I would put it on before I rode very far. I got my rake through Sideeffects in Kamloops,B.C. I took my triple tree off and sent it to them and in about three weeks I had it back and would not ride without it. Larry

·
Registered
151 Posts
Last October, our group took a ride to Julian California. Of the five trikes, three had EZ steer and two did not. We let the 2 non EZ steers use our trikes on the ride. At the end, both ordered the rake kit. Said it takes about 2/3rds the effort.

Hope this helps with your decision.

G

·
I SPY said:
Just curious, but is there anyone who actually prefers to ride a trike WITHOUT a rake kit? :?

If so, it might be interesting to know why (benefits?) and on what kit.
YES... ME....
I wanted to use my ride a few miles W/o the rake, and I just got used to it.. It gives me MORE feel without being touchy.

I have developed a technique where I use my body to make turns. For example. If I want to go left I lock my right arm and the lean foreward slightly pushing in on the handlebars. No only do I advoie soreness, and bullying the handlebars, but leaning foreward slightly lowers my center of gravity, and realy settles the bike into the turns. Using this technique, and really following the "line" (outside-inside-outside) you can eat up the turns.
If you go with trying to use just your arms you will get abused.
Give my way a try, go without it for about 500 miles, then youll have a better idea of how it feels for you.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Does the Motor Trike rake kit have tapered bearings? I have heard some kits do not...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I ordered my Champion trike from a local dealer and since I live within a couple of hours of the Champion plant I drove up there. The dealer said get the trike w/o easy steer and then when you put it on you will appreciate it. The manager at the plant called my local guy after I left and told him "he was nuts" just get the easy steer to begin with. He said I did not need to work that hard, when I could be enjoying my new trike so much more. I am happy with it, quite frankly it is a big enough change from the ease of two wheels.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the info. I'm going with the motor trile kit with fender bar, trunk carpet, aqua shield, hitch, nerf bar and EZ STEER. The reason I am going with motor trike is location. I'm taking the bike to the factory in Troup, Tx. to have the kit put on.
Thanks,
Hawkeye :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
You may also want to put handlebar risers on to bring the bars up and maybe back to you or away from you, but bringing them up helps a bunch after raking it.
I have rather short arms and need to have them set back for better feel and leverage.
Just putting rake kit on should get rid of wobble.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Okay, guys, you win. I ordered my rake kit from Motor Trike today. It does have tapered roller bearings. I will let you know how it works soon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts