GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was a warm 45 degree January day in the state of Oregon. We had snow and ice this past week so it was nice to get out!

I rode up to Portland International Airport to watch the Oregon Air Guard 142nd fighter wing. Lots of F-15's practicing! Nothing like watching a bunch of them take to the sky... :D

My Goldwing somehow steered right into Krispy Kreme. How did that happen?

[/img]

G

·
scootermannn said:
Today was a warm 45 degree January day in the state of Oregon. We had snow and ice this past week so it was nice to get out!

I rode up to Portland International Airport to watch the Oregon Air Guard 142nd fighter wing. Lots of F-15's practicing! Nothing like watching a bunch of them take to the sky... :D

My Goldwing somehow steered right into Krispy Kreme. How did that happen?
I love to have been there and rode along scootermann, but I found out after visiting those Krispy Kreme places makes fat like I shoud get ready for Hibernation, and my GL1800 seems to slow down. :pig1:
You probably weigh 150 lbs. and they don't effect you.........LOL

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Enjoy the F-15 while you can. The F-22 is in full swing now and will be soon followed by the F-35. By the time the F-35 is fully operational the F-15 will be retired. The ANG will probably be the last hold out for the venerable F-15.

The Navy's F-18 won't be far behind either once the Navy version of the F-35 is done.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Nice Scooterman! Thanks for posting. When my wife and I were first married, we lived a short distance from Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton Ohio. Then it was still a SAC - TAC base and was loaded with nearly everything the airforce had, but particularly B52's. We would get a cup of coffee and go over and sit just under short final and watch and "feel" those monsters rumble by about 200 feet over head.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
:wink:

Gotta love a little of that Air Farce flavor thrown in, I bet those folks up there ain't whinin' about the noise like the idiots we have here in Va Beach and the jets were here long before the idiots got here. 8) :roll:
Nice pic of the roll into take-off and that nasty Krisp Kreme pic makes me gag like the dang place only 5 blocks from our house that makes 'em. :roll: :twisted:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A favorite plane of mine to watch was the Oregon Air Guard F4 Phantoms
during the 70's-80's. They were insanely loud with a monster howl.

Loved it!!

I remember seeing Topgun at the cinema and riding with my friends
afterwards out to watch the planes. Right as we rode up, five F4's took
off. What timing. Portland International Airport has great viewing sites
around the entire field.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Rastoff said:
Enjoy the F-15 while you can. The F-22 is in full swing now and will be soon followed by the F-35. By the time the F-35 is fully operational the F-15 will be retired. The ANG will probably be the last hold out for the venerable F-15.
The Strike Eagle will be around for a LONG time....

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I agree... the F-4 was a great sounding plane. Kelly Johnson, the famed engineer responsible for the SR71 and the U2 stated that a plane flies like it looks and to me the F4 looked all business. That being said, the F15 is a much better plane but it's now been eclipsed by the F22. I can't wait to see one fly.

Great pics guys... they brought back some nice memories.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Cost of the F15 fully loaded about 90 mill, F22 cost about 190 mil. Only a couple of foreign countires can even qualify to purchase the 22 let alone wonder how many their budget can afford. Although the F15's line will eventually close down, right now its like the energizer bunny, the sales just keep on going. You'll be seeing them for some time to come although they will be much more plentiful in other countries.

The F22 will out fly the F15 in the air to air, then again the back half was designed by the same guys who built the F15 so I would expect so. But dog fights are a thing of the past and only found in movies. Now days they can strike 30 plus miles out, you dont need to spend 190 mil a copy to do this and mose countries know this. The killer for the F22 and the F15 etc will be unmanned aircraft. The technology is there and no piloting skills are required to fly them. Its all just a matter of time and not that much, I would assume.

Somebody pass the Donuts!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
$190 million per plane... good gosh. Our national debt is increasing almost $1.5 billion a day. :shock:

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Keghead:
Click this: F/A-22 Video
Not a bad clip, but there's nothing like seeing it in person. It's the most impressive plane I've ever seen and I've seen a lot.

I love the F-15 and spent my time as an Eagle Keeper. It's one of only two planes I have displayed in my office. Nevertheless, the F/A-22 beats it in every category except one; pilot experience. It will be a few years before the new F-22 pilots get the necessary experience, but it will come.

The Unmanned Combat Arial Vehicles still need qualified pilots. The huge benefit, besides handling, is no loss of life. They're small and fast and manuverable. I wouldn't be surprised to see them replace the F-22 faster than the F-15. We are using the Global Hawk with great success right now, but have a way to go before we put a UCAV into combat.

·
Registered
922 Posts
"But dog fights are a thing of the past and only found in movies"

HAHAHA Any old F-4 pilots want to comment on this??? I'm talking the poor guys stuck with Gen 1 of sidewinders or sparrows....Funny how they put the canon back in the F-4 . History does repeat itself. As far as I know there are no counter measures for a bullet.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I don't know Fred, I doubt being strafed would be much fun. a low level pass maybe but I suspect an F-15's cannon would make short work of an 1800 :D

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
They did include a gun on the F/A-22, but it doesn't hold much ammo. The gun can fire something like 1,000 rounds per minute and it only holds 480 rounds.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
hennigm4...F4 pilots? The Vietnam war is over. Our overall flying skills were sad if not pathetic with a 1 to 1 kill ratio in Nam. Due to this and the obvious lack of training we now have operation Red Flag which was started back in 75.

If a pilot can stand off 20 or 30 miles and take on a target what pilot would want to atempt a dog fight at 500 miles an hour? So yes dog fights are not practical.

Rastoff, I doubt they will need pilots for UCAV's in the future. Even the Northrup G Helo presently used does not. If Im not mistaken they are already capable of carrying some significant firepower?

Granted were not there yet with UCAV's but I have no doubt it will be here faster than any of us may imagine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts