GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! This morning at 4am on the way to work my F1 light came on. The only thing I noticed was a slight loss of power (temporary - maybe a second or maybe it was me letting up on the throttle when that little red light came on and my heart sank) and the overdrive indication went out. I clutched and upshifted but all that did was to light up the overdrive indication - it never came out of 5th gear. The light was steady all the way to work. When I got to work I shut the bike off with the key, restarted and no light. Let her run for a couple of minutes, the fan came on, then shut it back off - turned the key back on and again no light. I don't know if this was a gremlin or if this is something I should worry about.
Nothing like 75mph on a Houston freeway at 4am in the left lane and having the light come on. The first thought that ran through my mind was the low oil pressure - thank God that wasn't it. I would have shut her down on the inside shoulder and would have been stranded for sure.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Hit and miss, intermittent electronic situations are hard to pinpoint. If the light will not come on again now, you cannot even count the codes to see what the bike wants to tell you.

I think for now, clean the battery cables up well, make sure they are clean and tight. Check your fuse panel for corrosion and check all the fuses and so on.

About all you can do for the moment.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Help! This morning at 4am on the way to work my F1 light came on. The only thing I noticed was a slight loss of power (temporary - maybe a second or maybe it was me letting up on the throttle when that little red light came on and my heart sank) and the overdrive indication went out. I clutched and upshifted but all that did was to light up the overdrive indication - it never came out of 5th gear. The light was steady all the way to work. When I got to work I shut the bike off with the key, restarted and no light. Let her run for a couple of minutes, the fan came on, then shut it back off - turned the key back on and again no light. I don't know if this was a gremlin or if this is something I should worry about.
Nothing like 75mph on a Houston freeway at 4am in the left lane and having the light come on. The first thought that ran through my mind was the low oil pressure - thank God that wasn't it. I would have shut her down on the inside shoulder and would have been stranded for sure.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Check this thread out for a pretty good discussion on the subject,

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212521

1 - 4 of 4 Posts