GL1800Riders Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took bike to dealer, F1 light comes on and bike will not Idle at lights. Called me and said I need R and L knock sensors, and new ECM. Parts 995 dollars? is 5his right?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,201 Posts
Took bike to dealer, F1 light comes on and bike will not Idle at lights. Called me and said I need R and L knock sensors, and new ECM. Parts 995 dollars? is 5his right?
You could need a new ECM if it was constantly throwing the knock sensor failure code, but it's highly unlikely that both knock sensors are bad. I would go pick it up and troubleshoot it and fix it yourself. The ECM is listed for $563 from HDL and is probably cheaper at a few other online places. You can find them on Ebay for even less.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure it was 15 and 16? The knock sensor codes are 25 and 26.

you are right it was 25 and 26.., checked on line, knock sensors 73.98 each, ECM 250$, will talk to dealer tomorrow about prices, he wants $993.00 for parts be fore fixing bike.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,201 Posts
you are right it was 25 and 26.., checked on line, knock sensors 73.98 each, ECM 250$, will talk to dealer tomorrow about prices, he wants $993.00 for parts be fore fixing bike.
If I were you, I would get my bike from that "dealer" and buy a ECM online and just replace it. I've only heard of one or two knock sensors ever actually being bad and they were not on the same bike. You only have to pull the seat and shelter off to replace the ECM.

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
And if you're uncomfortable with trying to replace the ECM, bring me the bike in Jacksonville and I'll do it for you. It'll take about an hour. And you'll learn how to remove the shelter if you ever have to do it yourself. And, if it needs replacing, get yourself an air filter as well. Since you'll be under there anyway, might as well take care of it too.

Personally, I bet the knock sensors aren't bad. Probably just the ECM. I'd replace that first and see if that solves the problem before investing in the sensors.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
And if you're uncomfortable with trying to replace the ECM, bring me the bike in Jacksonville and I'll do it for you. It'll take about an hour. And you'll learn how to remove the shelter if you ever have to do it yourself. And, if it needs replacing, get yourself an air filter as well. Since you'll be under there anyway, might as well take care of it too.

Personally, I bet the knock sensors aren't bad. Probably just the ECM. I'd replace that first and see if that solves the problem before investing in the sensors.
:thumbup::bow::thumbup: Wingers helping Wingers - one of the good things about this board. :thumbup::thumbup:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,201 Posts

Bartman, you are a stand up guy. :bow: :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
His profile says an 01 trike....

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Cool, I think I can help. Pretzel, PM me your address and I'll ship you an ECM.
Well, after looking at all of the OP's previous posts, I imagine he knows how to take off his top shelter, with all the issues he's had with his trike.

:shock:

·
Registered
132 Posts
FI indicator and idling problem

I have similar poor idling issues with my 2003 with a FI flashing one short blink. Replaced the ECM ($300 from Ebay). DID NOT fix the problem. Now looking at possible MAP sensor or IAV issues. All vacuum hoses at the intake manifold looked good. A Honda mechanic I spoke with on the phone mentioned a possible fuel regulator issue.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,201 Posts
I have similar poor idling issues with my 2003 with a FI flashing one short blink. Replaced the ECM ($300 from Ebay). DID NOT fix the problem. Now looking at possible MAP sensor or IAV issues. All vacuum hoses at the intake manifold looked good. A Honda mechanic I spoke with on the phone mentioned a possible fuel regulator issue.
You haven't changed that sensor yet? I thought you were on your way to replacing it last week.

37011-MCA-003 $79.43 at Partszilla.com

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ecu

You haven't changed that sensor yet? I thought you were on your way to replacing it last week.

37011-MCA-003 $79.43 at Partszilla.com
P/N for 01 is 38770-MCA-P00. Dealer just called, Honda is releasing one next Wed. Haven't ben any in any warehouse, in US . I may get bike back in week from Mon.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,201 Posts
P/N for 01 is 38770-MCA-P00. Dealer just called, Honda is releasing one next Wed. Haven't ben any in any warehouse, in US . I may get bike back in week from Mon.
Sorry Pretzel, I was responding to Turbineman's post about his map sensor. Is that the ECM number for your bike?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.