GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a '01 GL1800 Trike. The F1 light has started flashing on when hitting a bump and sometimes coming on above 80 mph. Today it was also losing power while the light was on. This afternoon it shut down completely. When the ignition was turned on it did not go through the diagonistic sequence only the low oil light came on. Cycled the Ignition and kill switch several times, nothing. After the bike sat for about 10 minutes, turned on the ignition it went through the sequence and cranked right up. Anyone have any ideas or had this same problem? Anyone know of a good wiring tech in Alabama?

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
I don't know what is going on there but to read the code from the FI, put the bike in neutral and place the kickstand down and it will flash long and short flashes. Count each and either look them up, call the dealer or post the code here and we can look it up for you. The long flashes are the first number and the short ones are the second one. eg. two long and 5 short = 25.

From your description he may have another problem but if there is a code there it may help to read it.
If it is an 04 on, I think, the dealer can read it after the fact.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a Trike and has no side or center stand. I cannot figure another way to read the codes. Unless someone knows a way without the stand being down. The flash is intermittand almost like a short whenever hitting a bump. But when it would not start in the parking lot I began to doubt that theroy.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
towmoter said:
This is a Trike and has no side or center stand. I cannot figure another way to read the codes. Unless someone knows a way without the stand being down. The flash is intermittand almost like a short whenever hitting a bump. But when it would not start in the parking lot I began to doubt that theroy.
I have questioned how to accomplish this on a trike and several riders have either had the trike MFG put a switch on simulating the sidestand or did it themselves. Should not be too hard. You may even find the wires that went to it and short or open them as needed.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts