GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
F4 Customs
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK folks we would like your input please. Could you post pictures of your windshields and also a review of the product. Tell others your height and what size windshield you purchased from F4 Customs. Lot's of folks call with questions on what height they should purchase however you are the experts after owning and riding with our product.
Thanks
Don

·
Registered
44 Posts
I’m 6’2” and chose the tinted 20” recurve windshield. The shield stays down unless my passenger is with and then it’s raised just shy of fully extended. That allows for me to see comfortably over the top of the shield and provide her with less turbulence. Windshield looks great and works great! Excellent product.

Attachments

Reactions: SBPC and F4Customs

·
Registered
26 Posts
IMG_1825.JPG

I had one of the first produced 20" tinted recurves last year after being on their wait list for months. I like the looks as much as the functionality. The tint seems to add to the look as well. I gives more wind protection than the stock but if I were a long distance rider the larger version would be a consideration. I'm 6'2" and the full up is beyond eye level. I ride with it about 4 inches down which is an inch or so below eye level for me. Absolutely the right purchase for me (7000 miles). As an aside, my bike developed a wind whistle after installing the F-4 on one side. When I was in Daytona for Bikeweek last month I mentioned it to Don at the Speedway. He and his staff spent considerable time with me and the bike until he got it resolved. Great customer service. Just for the record.....I had never met Don or purchased any F-4 products in the past. Going forward it will be first on my list with any new bike I get.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had a 2003 Wing with an F4+4 that was great. My only complaint with that was it was not adjustable and too high to see over in the rain. Along came the 2018 and the electric windshield adjustment which is awesome! I have been researching windshields for my 2018 Non-tour DCT for about a month. At the beginning of my search I contacted the F4 office and asked if the could make a 22" recurve windshield. They said they could not but would pass along my desire for a 22" recurve.

I just followed up a few days ago to see if F4 would be willing to make a 22" recurve and they took down my name and number but said that at this time F4 is still trying to decide if they want to make a 22" recurve. I know that you can cut a 24" down to 22" but I personally want the 22" recurve option.

I am looking for something with maximum wind protection for myself and my 5'7" wife on the back. We are adding a Russell Day Long seat which will lift us up about 1-1.5" taller than the factory seat. I am 5'9". I have done multiple checks and I should be able to see over the top of a 22" shield in it's lowest setting. I will mainly be riding with the shield in the full up position but want to be able to lower it to the lowest setting and see over the top of the windshield in the rain.

I likely will be placing an order for a slipstreamer 22" windshield. My only reason for doing that is the top of the slipstreamer is flatter and the profile looks a wider/flatter. Another member here posted their review comparing the F4 20" recurve to a slipstreamer 20" and thought the slipstreamer had less turbulence.

That being said, if F4 made a 22" recurve I would buy it immediately (especially if the sides were a little wider). I believe F4 is the better material with the polycarbonate and how well it cleans up with paper towels and windex. It also is awesome in the rain. A 22" recurve would also likely help wind turbulence even more with my wife on the back and a taller aftermarket seat.

F4 has a very solid reputation in the Goldwing world. Again, I loved my F4+4 from my last Wing. I think if you made a 22" recurve it would sell a ton of them due to people wanting maximum wind protection for their passengers and wanting an option for slightly higher than stock windshield but not too tall that they cant see over in the rain. The recurve would also help boost the air over the passenger area even better.

At this point I am only buying the slipstreamer 22" due to wanting to try the flat top profile and flatter/wider shield profile and see how that works for my wife on the back. If F4 decides to make a 22" recurve then I will likely check that out.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
@EricW88, could you share what was done to remedy the wind noise on your shield? What caused it? Also if you could share where that picture was taken? Looks like somewhere in Colorado?

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'm not sure that everybody has the same ideas as to the proper height of the wind screen. I like looking through it. However, I know many folks want to look over it. I was talked into one of the Cal Science screens with a vent hole in it. Because I was told that the hole stopped the turbulence. I'm not so sure it does that, but I know the vent lets cold air through in the colder months of riding, & would not go that direction again. So at the end of the day I believe each person has to decide what height & width is right for them, because what's right for one is certainly not right for all. :serious: :surprise:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Have the F4 20" tinted on my 2018 and love it! Better than the OEM because of being wider, a "lip" on top which helps dissipates some rain and wind, ...

·
Registered
26 Posts
@EricW88, could you share what was done to remedy the wind noise on your shield? What caused it? Also if you could share where that picture was taken? Looks like somewhere in Colorado?
Beartooth Hwy near the Montana/Wyoming line was where the photo was taken last July. My wind whistle was an anomaly that we never specifically identified. When the shield was full up or down it disappeared. Half way up at around 40MPH it was as loud as a car’s brake sensor when the pads are worn is the best way to describe it. While whistling I could put my hand over the right side windshield hinge opening area and make it stop. We tried taping the opening closed, remounted the shield, and about everything you can think of with no change. The only thing that eliminated the sound was a redirection of the air with my hand while moving. The stock windshield when put back on did not whistle. Don was kind enough to change it out for a different one which corrected the problem. It was easy to tell as soon as I pulled onto the road outside the speedway. Don put the take off windshield on another bike and it did not whistle. No explanation, Twilight Zone strange. Harmonics, resonances, call it what you choose. Cudos to Don and crew for spending so much time with me.

·
Registered
794 Posts

6'4" still riding DCT Tour with stock 20". Call me Rip VanWinkle, but I'll rest patiently waiting for the elusive 22" recurve ............

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Thanks 4 the 411

Beartooth Hwy near the Montana/Wyoming line was where the photo was taken last July. My wind whistle was an anomaly that we never specifically identified. When the shield was full up or down it disappeared. Half way up at around 40MPH it was as loud as a car’s brake sensor when the pads are worn is the best way to describe it. While whistling I could put my hand over the right side windshield hinge opening area and make it stop. We tried taping the opening closed, remounted the shield, and about everything you can think of with no change. The only thing that eliminated the sound was a redirection of the air with my hand while moving. The stock windshield when put back on did not whistle. Don was kind enough to change it out for a different one which corrected the problem. It was easy to tell as soon as I pulled onto the road outside the speedway. Don put the take off windshield on another bike and it did not whistle. No explanation, Twilight Zone strange. Harmonics, resonances, call it what you choose. Cudos to Don and crew for spending so much time with me.
Thanks, for the 411 glad to hear that was resolved that wind whistle would have driven me crazy:22yikes:

·
Registered
31 Posts
It is great to have information on different heights of people and how the shields work. Ultimately, it would be nice to have the distance from top of seat to eye level for comparisons. A persons height can be different with a long torso or long legs and vice versa. Slouching or sitting up. Seat to eye level would be a very helpful measurement. For me, that way I know I am getting the correct windshield height the first time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello F4 Customs. It is a shame this thread died. I was soooo looking forward to getting the seat to eye info.???? As it sounds, alot of people still are waiting.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the 20” wide recurve and I find it to be much better wind protection over stock. I do wish they made it wider by a couple of inches per side. The F4 is pricey but I’m sold on the polycarbonate material. I’m 5’8” and can see over it at it’s lowest position but I find myself preferring it to being up and looking through it. Don, I can’t be alone. Wider, top to bottom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a 2003 Wing with an F4+4 that was great. My only complaint with that was it was not adjustable and too high to see over in the rain. Along came the 2018 and the electric windshield adjustment which is awesome! I have been researching windshields for my 2018 Non-tour DCT for about a month. At the beginning of my search I contacted the F4 office and asked if the could make a 22" recurve windshield. They said they could not but would pass along my desire for a 22" recurve.

I just followed up a few days ago to see if F4 would be willing to make a 22" recurve and they took down my name and number but said that at this time F4 is still trying to decide if they want to make a 22" recurve. I know that you can cut a 24" down to 22" but I personally want the 22" recurve option.

I am looking for something with maximum wind protection for myself and my 5'7" wife on the back. We are adding a Russell Day Long seat which will lift us up about 1-1.5" taller than the factory seat. I am 5'9". I have done multiple checks and I should be able to see over the top of a 22" shield in it's lowest setting. I will mainly be riding with the shield in the full up position but want to be able to lower it to the lowest setting and see over the top of the windshield in the rain.

I likely will be placing an order for a slipstreamer 22" windshield. My only reason for doing that is the top of the slipstreamer is flatter and the profile looks a wider/flatter. Another member here posted their review comparing the F4 20" recurve to a slipstreamer 20" and thought the slipstreamer had less turbulence.

That being said, if F4 made a 22" recurve I would buy it immediately (especially if the sides were a little wider). I believe F4 is the better material with the polycarbonate and how well it cleans up with paper towels and windex. It also is awesome in the rain. A 22" recurve would also likely help wind turbulence even more with my wife on the back and a taller aftermarket seat.

F4 has a very solid reputation in the Goldwing world. Again, I loved my F4+4 from my last Wing. I think if you made a 22" recurve it would sell a ton of them due to people wanting maximum wind protection for their passengers and wanting an option for slightly higher than stock windshield but not too tall that they cant see over in the rain. The recurve would also help boost the air over the passenger area even better.

At this point I am only buying the slipstreamer 22" due to wanting to try the flat top profile and flatter/wider shield profile and see how that works for my wife on the back. If F4 decides to make a 22" recurve then I will likely check that out.
Ericw88, did you buy the 22” Slipstreamer and how does that work for you and your wife compared to stock windshield?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts