GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm strongly considering getting an F4 windscreen for my 2018 Tour. I currently have the standard Honda windscreen and my head sticks up a bit into the wind stream and my wife complains a bit about turbulence hitting her.
I am just a tad over 6 foot tall and I also use seat beads which raises me up just a bit more.
I've also watched Cruiserman's review of the F4 Custom windshields, but now I'm torn between getting the 20" or 24". I know that the 24" will likely do the job for me and the 20" would be questionable. What I'm concerned about is that in town I like to lower my windshield completely. So, in other words, I want just enough to do the job without having extra, if that makes sense. I guess I'm somewhat worried that the 24" will look like a barn door...
To that end, what is your experience and which size do you have?
How long does shipping take?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm strongly considering getting an F4 windscreen for my 2018 Tour. I currently have the standard Honda windscreen and my head sticks up a bit into the wind stream and my wife complains a bit about turbulence hitting her.
I am just a tad over 6 foot tall and I also use seat beads which raises me up just a bit more.
I've also watched Cruiserman's review of the F4 Custom windshields, but now I'm torn between getting the 20" or 24". I know that the 24" will likely do the job for me and the 20" would be questionable. What I'm concerned about is that in town I like to lower my windshield completely. So, in other words, I want just enough to do the job without having extra, if that makes sense. I guess I'm somewhat worried that the 24" will look like a barn door...
To that end, what is your experience and which size do you have?
How long does shipping take?
I have a 20" F4 that I purchased new. It is better than the stock tour shield for sure. I'm 6'2" tall and comfortably look over it. Personally i would not want it any taller. Seems like the 24" F4 would at or above my line of sight ?? I was riding with Beads on the seat last Fall.

I was looking for the best Cold Weather and Long Distance Riding wind protection. Eventually I opted for the 20" Slipstreamer Wraparound so I have the F4 that I would sell for $210.00 plus shipping. It probably has 50 miles on it and looks like new. Here is a Picture of it on my bike:

Attachments

·
Registered
616 Posts
I just got my 20" clear F4 last week (I'm 5'8"), took a few day after ordering to arrive. Easy install, took all of ten minutes. I already have over 500 miles of riding with it installed, here are my impressions:

+ Much better airflow than the stock shield. Keeps the wind off my arms and shoulders (they still get a light breeze). I can also set it just a bit below my eyes and I get no wind force on my head or helmet at all, I did with the stock shield.
+ Very clear, much better to look through than the stock shield.
+ Cleans very easy.

--- I get a whistling noise when the shield is set a few inches above or below my eye level, and only at speeds between 30-50mph. Drop below 30 and it goes away, accel over 50 and it also goes away. If I set the shield full down or full up I can't hear the whistle but in the middle heights it makes a high squeal whistling. It's mildly annoying and I'm trying to figure out why its doing this, because I've not read of anyone else hearing this at all.

Overall I like the F4 a lot, but that whistling is bothering me. If I can find a way to cure it then I'd love this thing 1000% over the stock sheild.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just got my 20" clear F4 last week (I'm 5'8"), took a few day after ordering to arrive. Easy install, took all of ten minutes. I already have over 500 miles of riding with it installed, here are my impressions:

+ Much better airflow than the stock shield. Keeps the wind off my arms and shoulders (they still get a light breeze). I can also set it just a bit below my eyes and I get no wind force on my head or helmet at all, I did with the stock shield.
+ Very clear, much better to look through than the stock shield.
+ Cleans very easy.

--- I get a whistling noise when the shield is set a few inches above or below my eye level, and only at speeds between 30-50mph. Drop below 30 and it goes away, accel over 50 and it also goes away. If I set the shield full down or full up I can't hear the whistle but in the middle heights it makes a high squeal whistling. It's mildly annoying and I'm trying to figure out why its doing this, because I've not read of anyone else hearing this at all.

Overall I like the F4 a lot, but that whistling is bothering me. If I can find a way to cure it then I'd love this thing 1000% over the stock sheild.
What helmet are you using, wondering if that has any impact but I have read where another had an issue with this noise. I believe they ended up exchanging/replacing the windshield for another f4.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 20" F4 that I purchased new. It is better than the stock tour shield for sure. I'm 6'2" tall and comfortably look over it. Personally i would not want it any taller. Seems like the 24" F4 would at or above my line of sight ?? I was riding with Beads on the seat last Fall.

I was looking for the best Cold Weather and Long Distance Riding wind protection. Eventually I opted for the 20" Slipstreamer Wraparound so I have the F4 that I would sell for $210.00 plus shipping. It probably has 50 miles on it and looks like new. Here is a Picture of it on my bike:
PM sent about your F4.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
364 Posts
6' 3" here, got the 20" F4 Tinted (Standard Width) and it's much better even at the lowest setting than the stock windshield.

Like you, I prefer it all the way down as much as possible and in town or speeds under 50-ish it's great. When I am going faster than that, I also find I don't have to raise it up as much as I did the stock windshield so the recurve definitely makes a difference.

Get it, I think you'll be quite happy with it. I also hate the barn door look which is why I never considered the 24" and also why I went with the standard width on my F4. I can only imagine the wind protection for your passenger would be even better if you get the wider width.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Maxthrust, do like I did and order a custom 22”. It was like $30 extra and they just cut down a 24”. I love ❤ it as I was between sizes & this was perfect for me! I am 5’10 & like to look over the shield!

·
Registered
616 Posts
What helmet are you using, wondering if that has any impact but I have read where another had an issue with this noise. I believe they ended up exchanging/replacing the windshield for another f4.
Nope it's not the helmet. Tried three different helmets, even test rode without a helmet, the whistling noise is coming from the F4 directly, though I'm not sure exactly what point on the shield it's coming from.

·
Registered
616 Posts
2018 GWT6, F4 20" clear mounted. No whistling noise on my bike at any speed. I'm 5' 6" and am using the HeliBar risers. I love the F4.
I am using the Helibars too. You are about my height yet no whistling for you, and it seems like no one else gets the noise either.

Yet something on my setup is producing it, I need to figure out what it is.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am using the Helibars too. You are about my height yet no whistling for you, and it seems like no one else gets the noise either.

Maybe its your passenger, happy & whistling cuz she likes the new windshield!:surprise:

·
Registered
794 Posts

Contact F4 about the whistling. They will make it right.:smile2:

Reactions: F4Customs

·
Registered
616 Posts
Contact F4 about the whistling. They will make it right.:smile2:
Yeah, I think I'll be doing that.

I was looking it over this afternoon trying to find a source for the whistling. One thing did catch my eye, the covers which secure over the bolts to fasten the windshield are not sitting flush, they both sit about a washer's space above the surface of the windshield:

I checked the installation instructions by F4 and it's mounted correctly. The Honda service manual also agrees.

There is definitely a gap between the covers and the shield. I took the covers off and went for a ride and the whistle is still there, so I don't think the covers are the source of it.

Hopefully F4 support can help me out.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Nope it's not the helmet. Tried three different helmets, even test rode without a helmet, the whistling noise is coming from the F4 directly, though I'm not sure exactly what point on the shield it's coming from.
I wonder if you could move your left hand around the edges of the screen when it is whistling to find where it is coming from.

·
F4 Customs
367 Posts
Please contact us at F4 Customs. We had one other like that and tried all the things we could think of then just changed it out and it was gone. Then installed on another bike at a discount to another rider told him to test it and no whistle. 330-968-4644
Don

·
Registered
616 Posts
Please contact us at F4 Customs. We had one other like that and tried all the things we could think of then just changed it out and it was gone. Then installed on another bike at a discount to another rider told him to test it and no whistle. 330-968-4644
Don
Thanks. I sent a support email but haven't heard back yet, so I'll call Monday morning. I've tried to find the source of the whistle but I'm truly stumped!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks. I sent a support email but haven't heard back yet, so I'll call Monday morning. I've tried to find the source of the whistle but I'm truly stumped!
I was the one with the identical issue that Don resolved for me. You can search for my previous post in April or give me a call for details. I PM’d you my phone number a couple of days ago. Great service from F4.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the F4+4 (24"): I'm 5'11" sitting on beads with a stock seat. The top of the windshield is right about at my line of sight but not an issue at all.
I had a 22" Slipstream but my wife wanted a little more wind protection so I upgraded to the 24.

If you're slightly over 6', I'm guessing your line of sight will just clear the top of the windshield. You could take a piece of cardboard from a 12-pack carton, cut out a wide strip and blue-tape it to the top of your stock windshield at the various heights to get an idea of line-of-site changes - that might help you decide.

Then, get what you think you will like best - and also, forget all those shaky mpg claims and calculations going around on taller windshields and their effect on gas consumption. There are sooo many other factors on and off the bike that affect mpg, your windshield choice will be the least of them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts