GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a F4 w/s about 3 years ago. I thought that it worked fantastic, the rain would roll off the w/s as advertised. At that time I thought that I had made a good investment.

Now I am very disappointed with its performance. The coating is now all speckeled, and is cloudy. The outside surface feels gritty while the inside surface is still silky smooth. It no longer allows the rain to roll of at speed, so I have resorted to using the Honda spray cleaner/wax., inorder to get some performance out of it. My cousins 10 year old Tulsa w/s is far better than the f4, given its age.

I will be retiring the F4 and re-installing the stock w/s after I polish it up with plastic cleaner, I am considering the F4 as a bad investment.

J Paul

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Of course you have contacted F4 and they refused to warranty it...

·
Registered
189 Posts
A former member of this board (the infamous WhiteBoy) had the same issue with the F-4 he had, started to look almost like it had been sand blasted. He contacted the manufacture and they replaced it for him. I think his was about 2 years old at that time.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Got to be honest i have seen many F 4s and they all seem to fade up and get could y in just a couple of years.:shrug:

·
Registered
479 Posts
F4's are not worth crap, sorry if I offend any one. But I tried the F4 and the first one lasted about 6mo before it was pitted up. The company replaced it under the warranty but after anouther 6mo or so I had the same problem.
The F4 company refused to replace it a second time.
I went back to the stock windshield after that and never had any problems with it.
So the hell with F4

·
Registered
263 Posts
My F4 is now 4 years old and still good as new! I know they say that it can withstand almost anything, but there must be something that is causing the damage. One thing I have learned to watch is cars blasting the windshield washer fluid on me and the shield. Some have Very High ammonia content.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
If you keep your bike in the garage and run your car for a while before leaving you may have deposited som sulfuric acid on the F4.

My car's windshield gets tiny pits which are probably due to the sulfuric acid from other cars during the winter.

Used to work near a place that treated rusty steel coils with acid and then re-sell it. I had to replace the windshield on my car because it got severe especially when driving into the sun.

Good idea to cover the F4 when not riding.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought my F4 in April of 09 and I have no complaints with it yet... And maybe I'm wrong, but I bought it because I could treat it as if it were glass. Windex, ammonia, rain-x and so on. It's seen lots of windex. I never followed through with the rain-x because honestly it sheads water just fine, unless someone cleans it with plexus or honda spray...

Sorry to hear yours didn't hold up well...

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have the F4+4 put it on new in '06. It started to delaminate in late '07 and they replaced it for me. I have not had a problem with it since. I clean it with the rain-x glass cleaner and looks like new.

·
IronMan
17,672 Posts
SHOULD'VE BOUGHT F 5:wrong:

·
Registered
225 Posts
I really like my F4 +4. But I've only had it for a year.

As advertised it is very scratch resistant. Impacts from stones can pit it though. I've got at least 10,000 miles on it. So far one small chip, and a couple of tiny pit marks. Still perfectly clear.

Wind buffeting is much less for my wife. She has already informed me that the F4 is now an essential.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I've got about 30,000 miles on my F4, and it's got a few nicks and scratches (probably from 70+mph impact with pebbles and/or me not cleaning off grit before rubbing it too hard), but it hasn't gotten cloudy.

I'm not sure, but I don't think it sheds water quite as well as it did when it was news. I know it mists up and the water doesn't run off until the beads get big enough to have some weight, or I run the speed up pretty high.

How long - how many miles - should a windshield last? Anybody knbow if there's some average lifespan for a windshield?

·
Registered
905 Posts
I don't understand bad customer service or their not willing to replace your shield .. Thursday .. I received (in the mail) a "new" F4+4 w/vent (a $360.00 initial investment) .. after just a short conversation with the F4 folks.
2 weeks ago I discovered that my "old" F4+4 w/vent had developed a crack in the area where the vent was screwed to the shield itself .. PLUS .. the vent had stopped working. I called the folks at F4 and got to talk with the same young man who installed it at the last Cats-Cade .. I explained the problems, also explained that it was a week over/past the two year warranty .. he said he'd send out a new one right after they got back from Americade .. plus a return shipping voucher .. NO CHARGE TO ME FOR ANYTHING .. and that's exactly what they did.

My hats off to the folks at F4, that's what I call GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE ..

·
DSI Keeper
9,172 Posts
Cracking is covered but not rock chips. Mine is getting like the OP's but without the clouding. It is still very clear, but I have so many chips, the water no longer sheds off. I have the F4 Standard, no vent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts