GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a 16" F4 (tinted) for my six speed. I was wondering what effect it will have on fuel economy. It's bigger (wider) and the recurve probably adds more wind resistance. I would think those two factors would have a negative impact on mileage.

On the other hand, with the stock screen your aerodynamically dirty arms, hands and shoulders are more in the wind stream, so the wider F4 might make that whole area more aerodynamic.

Has anyone who is running one of these noticed any difference in fuel economy?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I just ordered a 16" F4 (tinted) for my six speed. I was wondering what effect it will have on fuel economy. It's bigger (wider) and the recurve probably adds more wind resistance. I would think those two factors would have a negative impact on mileage.

On the other hand, with the stock screen your aerodynamically dirty arms, hands and shoulders are more in the wind stream, so the wider F4 might make that whole area more aerodynamic.

Has anyone who is running one of these noticed any difference in fuel economy?
Nope

Reactions: F4Customs

·
Registered
794 Posts
I agree with Gene. I don't believe that size will make much difference. If you add the large size like I did on my tour then you for sure see a difference if it's all the way up. I run mine about half way up & it doesn't make much if any difference. :serious: :smile2: :surprise:

·
Registered
794 Posts
I agree with Gene. I don't believe that size will make much difference. If you add the large size like I did on my tour then you for sure see a difference if it's all the way up. I run mine about half way up & it doesn't make much if any difference. :serious: :smile2: :surprise:
So what is the difference you have noticed? Is it decreased gas mileage? What size did you install? :serious:

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I've had my F4 for so long that I can't tell you weather or not it does cut my MPG down (second GW with the F4) BUT even if it does, I can honestly say it's worth every penny.....BIG ADVICE HERE: Spend the extra money and get the air vent added, you'll be very glad you did, especially in hot weather, cause it will be used, I guarantee you, it's like air condition added when needed....I'm happy!!!!

Ronnie

Reactions: F4Customs

·
Registered
794 Posts
So what is the difference you have noticed? Is it decreased gas mileage? What size did you install? :serious:
I installed the tallest, widest screen that CalScience sells. I don't remember the exact size, but it is known as a barn door. I'm glad I did get that size since being able to leave it part way down decreases the amount of bugs getting under it while riding. I would be happy to get a larger one that I could leave all the way down which would help even more on the bugs on the back side of the screen. When I have placed the screen all the way up it decreases my mpg by a couple or maybe more mpg. It's no big deal since I normally get between 40 & 46 mpg, but there is a difference. :serious: :smile2: :surprise:

·
Registered
794 Posts
I installed the tallest, widest screen that CalScience sells. I don't remember the exact size, but it is known as a barn door. I'm glad I did get that size since being able to leave it part way down decreases the amount of bugs getting under it while riding. I would be happy to get a larger one that I could leave all the way down which would help even more on the bugs on the back side of the screen. When I have placed the screen all the way up it decreases my mpg by a couple or maybe more mpg. It's no big deal since I normally get between 40 & 46 mpg, but there is a difference. :serious: :smile2: :surprise:

Thanks. I was thinking you had an F4 Customs windshield.:frown2:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
BIG ADVICE HERE: Spend the extra money and get the air vent added, you'll be very glad you did, especially in hot weather, cause it will be used, I guarantee you, it's like air condition added when needed....I'm happy!!!!

Ronnie
Oh man I wish I had known about the vent. I have already ordered one without the vent. Is it something I can install on the non-vented windshield? I don't relish cutting a hole for the vent. I doubt I have the right tools for that.

·
Registered
616 Posts
BIG ADVICE HERE: Spend the extra money and get the air vent added, you'll be very glad you did, especially in hot weather, cause it will be used, I guarantee you, it's like air condition added when needed....I'm happy!!!!
OH heck no, I'd never put that vent on a new Wing. That vent in the middle of the drivers view was one of the things I absolutely hated about the previous gen, it's just so obtrusive. Plus the new Wing doesn't seen to really need it, raising that pop up deflector does a pretty good job, and with the screen height electrically adjustable I can easily get wind on me whenever I want to.

To each his own I guess, but I wouldn't take that mid screen vent on my new Wing if someone PAID me to do it!!!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Oh man I wish I had known about the vent. I have already ordered one without the vent. Is it something I can install on the non-vented windshield? I don't relish cutting a hole for the vent. I doubt I have the right tools for that.
I believe Captron has an older trike. Not a 2018 or 19.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's all academic at this point. My windshield has been shipped. I'm sure it will be fine. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
794 Posts
I've had my F4 for so long that I can't tell you weather or not it does cut my MPG down (second GW with the F4) BUT even if it does, I can honestly say it's worth every penny.....BIG ADVICE HERE: Spend the extra money and get the air vent added, you'll be very glad you did, especially in hot weather, cause it will be used, I guarantee you, it's like air condition added when needed....I'm happy!!!!

Ronnie

I wasn't aware the F4's for the 2018's had a vent available. Doesn't the windscreen ventilation louver on your bike help out with keeping you cool? Do you have the 20" F4 or the 24" F4 Customs?

:smile2:

·
Love The DCT
12,023 Posts
I wasn't aware the F4's for the 2018's had a vent available. Doesn't the windscreen ventilation louver on your bike help out with keeping you cool? Do you have the 20" F4 or the 24" F4 Customs?

Looking at F4’s website, it does not appear they have a vent for their 2018/2019 wing windshields.

Captron does not have a 2018 wing and was commenting on his F4 windshield for his trike.

:doorag:

·
Registered
794 Posts
Looking at F4’s website, it does not appear they have a vent for their 2018/2019 wing windshields.

Captron does not have a 2018 wing and was commenting on his F4 windshield for his trike.

:doorag:
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks. :smile2:

·
F4 Customs
367 Posts
Vents for F4 windshields

There are not vents available for the 2018 windshields from F4 as there is no clearence
Thanks

·
Registered
794 Posts
There are not vents available for the 2018 windshields from F4 as there is no clearence
Thanks

That's what I thought. I don't guess it's really necessary since the 2018 has the vent on the dash. :smile2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts