GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...... I did it.... I placed my order for the +4 F4 windshield. For me it was a toss up between the Tulsa X-tall and the F4. I read the some of the post that was written in the past and I also called and spoke to the owners of both company and they both were big help in helping me to decide which shield that I would go with. I decided to go with the F4 because of the reports on what can be put on the surface and still not damage the finish. With thte plan of putting on some type of a light kit on the windshield I'm hoping that pitting, scratches and hazing will be the thing of the past.

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
Good luck on your new windshield. I have been thinking about the F4 myself based on all the good reviews from the members that have tried one.

I have a regular Tulsa that I am very happy with. My Tulsa is three years old now and still looks new like. I have been very happy with it's weather protection with no wind buffeting on my helmet, optical clarity and it's durably. I might try the F4 though just for a change this coming summer.

B

·
0 Posts
MG_Wings said:
With the plan of putting on some type of a light kit on the windshield I'm hoping that pitting, scratches and hazing will be the thing of the past.
I think you made a good choice with the F4, but what are you talking about when you say "light kit?" :?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I think he means the LEDs that light the outer edge of the shield.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Hello, ---"plan of putting on some type of a light kit on the windshield-- ".
Please explain light kit. Thank you. galewing

P

·
0 Posts
lED's

I sew some in the smokie Mt's last year..they put two LED on the bottom of the windsheild and it would light all around the the windshield, with it coming at you at night, all I could see is a Big round green ring...you can stiil through it ...there neat....

·
Registered
7 Posts
beastie said:
MG_Wings said:
With the plan of putting on some type of a light kit on the windshield I'm hoping that pitting, scratches and hazing will be the thing of the past.
I think you made a good choice with the F4, but what are you talking about when you say "light kit?" :?

OWL lighting from Euless, Texas now offers a LED Windshield kit, a new product called OWL's Eyes, the KnightRider, and a new illuminated switchbox that can be purchased as a "Plug and Play System" or each part individually. ALL OWL products are made in the USA and have a lifetime guarantee. Visit our website for pictures and details.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Windshield light kit

I use LED' Step lights along the windshield edge. It lights the whole edge of the windshield including the vent.... But if you have any nicks or scratches...those will also show up to and that is why I'm going with the F4.......... It really looks nice at night....I was also told the effects my not show on a tinted shield.....I do have a photo of what I had on my 1500 if anybody wants to see

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tinted windshield

Yes, we have found that the tinted windshields DO NOT pass light well enough to be lit. We have also found that the STOCK HONDA windshield has enough tint in it to not work well, and a windshield vent tends to scatter the light and decreases the amount of light that reaches the edge of the windshield. The vent also traps quite a bit of the light and causes the vent edges to light up (I didn't care for this effect myself).
The scratches and dings DO show up and raindrops tend to cause a prism effect, so we DO NOT recommend riding in the rain with you windshield light on. Another interesting thing we have noticed--BUGS tend to glow when they hit the lighted windshield at night.

I've attached a picture of a GL1800 windshield that we use for display. This one happens to be in blue, and obviously not mounted on a bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts