GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 5ft 8in and 30in inseam. I have decided to order the F4, I just can't decide which one. I wish I could look over in the low position and have the most protection from buffeting for myself and passenger in the high position. I guess this is not possible. I assume the +4 is 4 inches higher in the lowest position compared to the stock shield in the lowest position. Since I am looking for more wind protection than stock I assume I will have to go with the +2 or +4. I assume the -2 would look cool and be easy to see over but not give much protection. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
+4 for me

Your right. I am 5'10 and have a +4. I know my co-rider sure likes it. For me the +2 would have been fine, but i like the 4 even more.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
F4+4

I have the F4+4 and love it. I'm 5'10'' tall and 29'' inseam. The +4 don't adjust, but I think the +2 does.

·
Registered
2 Posts
F4 Windshield

I had the F4 +4 put on my '07 at the Honda Hoot last year and love it. Definetly worth the money. Less wind, better water displacement, even clearer than stock. Even better - very easy to clean!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Yes the +2 does adjust its just 2"taller than stock.
The +4 can one click if it is installed the right way to do so. Or so it has been posted at one point that it can.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Windshield Sizes

I am 5ft 8in and 30in inseam. I have decided to order the F4, I just can't decide which one. I wish I could look over in the low position and have the most protection from buffeting for myself and passenger in the high position. I guess this is not possible. I assume the +4 is 4 inches higher in the lowest position compared to the stock shield in the lowest position. Since I am looking for more wind protection than stock I assume I will have to go with the +2 or +4. I assume the -2 would look cool and be easy to see over but not give much protection. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks
I am also 5'8" 30" inseam. I did not want a +4 but they were sold out of everything else several years ago at a WingDing when I bought one for my my 1800 and my wife's 1800 trike. I do not regret it the least. For one thing they don't stratch so you don't have to look over it to see. I don't look over the windshield in my car. The windshield in my car has saved my life more than once same as on the bike. It is also wider than stock. I regret getting the vent though. I used the vent on my 1500 all the time. This vent seems to bother my eyes even with a full face with the faceshield just cracked open a little. I've driven through rain, sleet & snow with no problems. Although I learned a lesson the other day about keeping it clean in cold weather. We were riding in near freezing weather. She cleaned her windshield at a station and I didn't. Down the road a couple miles my windshield iced over virtually instantly and hers didn't. A quick swip across the top with my glove cleared the ice. We've ridden in 20degrees to 120plus. Don't regret getting the +4 at all.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I ordered the +4 today from Don.

·
Registered
1 Posts
F4 vs. National Cycle VStream Windshield

I'm considering one or the other of the two windshields. The F4 is quite a bit more expensive, but is it worth it? The VStream sounds like a viable compromise and possibly even better than the F4. What is the "standard" height of a windshield anyway? All the ads talk about it, but no one says what it is. I have a 29" Tulsa w/o a vent on my trike and my husband's trike has a 21 1/2" tall Show Chrome w/ a vent on it. I pretty much like mine, but riding with him on his is terribly windy and noisy. Any input from others would be great. :bow:

·
Banned
716 Posts
F4

I bought the stock vented size. I am 5'7" and 29" inseam. It is perfect. In the lowest position I can look over it if I sit up straight and not slouch. But when the SO rides I raise it up and look thru it. No distortion. She is very happy with the amount of wind it decreases for her. States it is the best windshield I ever bought. I now carry a small bottle of Windex in my trunk and a micro towel to clean it. No swirls to distort my vision at night.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I think the real benefit of the F4 is the ability to clean it with just about anything w/out scratching it. I don't like to spend a lot of time cleaning the shield @ 2A.M. during a refuel while on my longer rides. Also, I am not sure if this is true of all shields or not, but my F4 has taken some real hard hits from flying debris on the road and didn't crack or break.

I'm considering one or the other of the two windshields. The F4 is quite a bit more expensive, but is it worth it? The VStream sounds like a viable compromise and possibly even better than the F4. What is the "standard" height of a windshield anyway? All the ads talk about it, but no one says what it is. I have a 29" Tulsa w/o a vent on my trike and my husband's trike has a 21 1/2" tall Show Chrome w/ a vent on it. I pretty much like mine, but riding with him on his is terribly windy and noisy. Any input from others would be great. :bow:

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Thanks I ordered the +4 today from Don.
Check my F4 installation site by clicking the pic.

The trick to installing the +4 is to put your ratchet all the way to the bottom (put it all the way up an then all the way down). Install the shield then move it up TWO clicks before buttoning up the stay and the garnish. This will put the widest part just above the mirror boots. I love my F4+4. Easy to clean and has "hardware" Rainx so there's no problem looking through it in a storm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts