GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm contemplating upgrading from the OEM windshield on my 2018 GoldWing Tour. Can anyone provide their opinion of the F4 and/or the Show Chrome? Is the double-the-price, easy-to-clean F4 really worth it?Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
No idea about the show chrome, but I started with a VStream, that on one hand can‘t stop wind on my shoulders and add some push forward from the back. It took 2 minutes to find out where my scarf was not closed correctly on my neck. In addition, it looks strange from the front as well as from the riding position, kinda like using an add-on shelter on a former naked bike in the 80‘s.

I then tried the F4 20“, which had better wind protection and looks better on the wing. Given the added width, you have two self-adhesive clear stickers add to the fixed winglets to not get them scratched by the F4, but that sounds much worse than it actually is. In fact, in the lowest position there is some contact at the very outside on the winglets. I have been riding a little bit at 42 F, and in combination with the OEM air deflectors, it works perfect. I‘m 1,80, what seems to be 5‘11“ in your scale.

I have not protected, cleaned whatever the F4 so far, it‘s just on for 3 weeks. Not ridden in real rain, but drizzle seems to stay on the screen. On the other hand, my visor stays dry when raised the screen by 1/3, so I have a clear view on the road. Full up, I look through the screen. To me, 20“ is perfect.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't think it's possible to beat the
quality or service from F4 windshields.

I've had 2 different F4's, along with a few other brands, and they are are by far the clearest, strongest, and maybe easiest to clean of any brands I tried.

I've cut down the stock shield on my Tour to find the right height for me (vertically challenged?) just before
PMS set in. In the spring, after a couple of rides to decide if the height is right, I'll contact them to get a 16", or maybe 15" shorty.

Whether they are worth the the premium price is your decision. I
wouldn't hesitate if your sure of the size you need, and it's in your budget.

And they are good people to deal with.

·
Registered
19,236 Posts
I currently have the Honda shield but have had F4s on two previous Wings. For me the F4 is the best choice for three reasons.
1) you can clean them with Windex
2) use any towel
3) they don't scratch

·
Registered
336 Posts
I currently have the Honda shield but have had F4s on two previous Wings. For me the F4 is the best choice for three reasons.
1) you can clean them with Windex
2) use any towel
3) they don't scratch
Now if we could get him to make an instrument panel lens we'd have something :)

Marc

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Someone posted the F4 flutters in the Cruiseman's video, if true that is annoying.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have the Show chrome Tint which is made by Vstream I believe. I also had the f4 On my previous gold wing. To me, there is not a dimes worth of difference between the 2 except for $$$$$$$. I am very Please with my with my current Windshield.

·
Registered
19,236 Posts
I will tell you what flutters and it is the stock TOUR shield in the up position on the 2018

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I will tell you what flutters and it is the stock TOUR shield in the up position on the 2018
Don't shoot the messenger....I never had my shield that high while riding so I'll take your word for it.....:grin2:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
My National Cycle VStream SE never fluttered, even full up at 120 mph! It was solid! That is what I want for a replacement windshield! The new 2018 VStream is kinda ugly looking, IMHO. I like the F4 but not the flutter or the $400+ CDN price tag! Geesh . . . :22yikes:

·
Love The DCT
12,017 Posts
My National Cycle VStream SE never fluttered, even full up at 120 mph! It was solid! That is what I want for a replacement windshield! The new 2018 VStream is kinda ugly looking, IMHO. I like the F4 but not the flutter or the $400+ CDN price tag! Geesh . . . :22yikes:
If you buy a replacement OEM windscreen from a dealer, be prepared for sticker shock. In the states, the base OEM windscreen is $423.45 and the tour windscreen is $569.58. :eek:4:

:doorag:

·
Registered
17 Posts
No idea about the show chrome, but I started with a VStream, that on one hand can‘t stop wind on my shoulders and add some push forward from the back. It took 2 minutes to find out where my scarf was not closed correctly on my neck. In addition, it looks strange from the front as well as from the riding position, kinda like using an add-on shelter on a former naked bike in the 80‘s.

I then tried the F4 20“, which had better wind protection and looks better on the wing. Given the added width, you have two self-adhesive clear stickers add to the fixed winglets to not get them scratched by the F4, but that sounds much worse than it actually is. In fact, in the lowest position there is some contact at the very outside on the winglets. I have been riding a little bit at 42 F, and in combination with the OEM air deflectors, it works perfect. I‘m 1,80, what seems to be 5‘11“ in your scale.

I have not protected, cleaned whatever the F4 so far, it‘s just on for 3 weeks. Not ridden in real rain, but drizzle seems to stay on the screen. On the other hand, my visor stays dry when raised the screen by 1/3, so I have a clear view on the road. Full up, I look through the screen. To me, 20“ is perfect.
Good info. Thanks. If it should interest anybody who is considering the F4 Customs windshields for their 2018+ Goldwing, I read on another forum that F4 actually makes the 20" in STANDARD width, thus eliminating the need for the plastic sticker things to prevent rubbing against factory tabs. :wink2:

Reactions: MrSolo

·
Registered
17 Posts
So you've noticed fluttering on the F4 20" in the full up position? That's not good news. I'm 6'4" and that's the position my factory shield is set so I would likely do the same with an F4. :frown2:

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm just saying... I could buy 2-3 of my Slipstreamer screens (which I like just fine) for the price of the F4. Even if they theoretically scratch easier (haven't had a problem yet), I could still get a few years before I came up to the pricing of the F4. Just don't get it.

Reactions: Florida Brent

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm just saying... I could buy 2-3 of my Slipstreamer screens (which I like just fine) for the price of the F4. Even if they theoretically scratch easier (haven't had a problem yet), I could still get a few years before I came up to the pricing of the F4. Just don't get it.
I am considering the slipstreamer but I don’t like the black at the bottom.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I wasn’t sure either, but it doesn’t bother me at all. I believe if you call them and ask, they can make it without the black though. Really friendly folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
I like the Vstream. Had one on my 05 and now the 18. No fluttering at the top adjustment and I can smoke a cigar and hear the music. like the profile look, from the rear is cool also, front-not so much...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 48 Posts