GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the only things that annoys me about my F6B is the lack of lean angle on the kickstand. I have almost dropped it on the right side a couple of times due to pavement with a slight slope up on the left side. Once was at a gas pump, so you have an idea of how slight the slope was. I've become very aware of making sure I park with the kickstand downhill, but it is a pain sometimes. It's almost like the kickstand is just a little too long. Just wondering if anyone else has this issue and if there's a solution to make it lean just a little further.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have the same issue. I am considering cutting off about a half inch off my kickstand. Right above the foot and then weld it back on.

·
IronMan
18,045 Posts
I HAVE COUPLE FROM TRIKE TAKE OFF BUYS MEASURE LENGTH OF YOURS IS THERE WASHER OR PLATE / ADJUSTMENT YOU CAN DO I KNOW OLDER BIKES PEOPLE SWITCH OUT TO NEWER BECAUSE LEANS TO MUCH

·
Registered
739 Posts
My concern about a lower side stand would be the effort required to bring the bike up to balance. I am happy Honda has decided to create a side stand that does not lean too far. Yes I do choose where I park, carefully.

·
IronMan
18,045 Posts
One of the only things that annoys me about my F6B is the lack of lean angle on the kickstand. I have almost dropped it on the right side a couple of times due to pavement with a slight slope up on the left side. Once was at a gas pump, so you have an idea of how slight the slope was. I've become very aware of making sure I park with the kickstand downhill, but it is a pain sometimes. It's almost like the kickstand is just a little too long. Just wondering if anyone else has this issue and if there's a solution to make it lean just a little further.
THERES A BRACE OUT THERE THAT YA PROP UP BIKE ON RITE SIDE AT THE CRASH BAR SO CANT TIP OVER TRY A SEARCH ON HERE WAS JUST DISCUUSED ABOUT A WEEK AGO

·
Registered
15 Posts
Seems to be just right for me. In fact, I place a small 1" thick block of wood under the kickstand while parked in the garage.

·
Registered
2016 F6B Standard
65 Posts
It's a HEAVY bike. I'd expect that "tiny little thin stick" of a side stand to be engineered to handle the weight of the bike at it's set angle. Not sure the length should changed.

Last summer, here in Texas, I was "side stand" parked in a newly paved parking lot with hundreds of other bikes. We where organizing for a Veterans Home's ride by an hour later. All the Goldwings, that didn't have side stand pads, started to tip over because the small pads sunk down an inch or so into the melting asphalt.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seems to be just right for me. In fact, I place a small 1" thick block of wood under the kickstand while parked in the garage.
I just tried this on a level garage floor out of curiosity. With a 1" block under the stand, mine is close enough to level that it will fall over if I turn the wheel to the right.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Two items to look at. 1 is the amount of preload on the rear shock. Per Tom Finch for best rideability set it to max. Several old threads on this. This should correct your issue with lean angle.

2. if still need more angle, loosen the three bolts holding sidestand on bike. Remove inner bolt, place a washer shim between stand and bike at bolt hole. Reinstall bolt and tighten everything up. Changes angle of sidestand for more lean angle.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Two items to look at. 1 is the amount of preload on the rear shock. Per Tom Finch for best rideability set it to max. Several old threads on this. This should correct your issue with lean angle....
Can you elaborate on this? I tried an advance search for Tom Finch and preload but just found posts about trailering. I have a 2018 GLB so manual preload and am always solo so was wondering what preload setting. However I don't want to raise the seat any higher as I am on tiptoes now.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Can you elaborate on this? I tried an advance search for Tom Finch and preload but just found posts about trailering. I have a 2018 GLB so manual preload and am always solo so was wondering what preload setting. However I don't want to raise the seat any higher as I am on tiptoes now.
Okay, since on tiptoes already, leave your preload because raising your preload will raise your seat height (assuming it's not already on highest setting).

Did a quick search on the suspension loading question with Tom , appears the new board software has dropped it. I'll keep looking after my shift.

Reactions: gdb069

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Thanks to @Glockjock here's the link describing suspension preload. The pictures didn't make the transition to the new board, but the text works.

·
Registered
2016 F6B Standard
65 Posts
I just tried this on a level garage floor out of curiosity. With a 1" block under the stand, mine is close enough to level that it will fall over if I turn the wheel to the right.
I may have been unclear in my earlier post. Adding one of these Side Stand Pads raises the height a little bit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Two items to look at. 1 is the amount of preload on the rear shock. Per Tom Finch for best rideability set it to max. Several old threads on this. This should correct your issue with lean angle.

2. if still need more angle, loosen the three bolts holding sidestand on bike. Remove inner bolt, place a washer shim between stand and bike at bolt hole. Reinstall bolt and tighten everything up. Changes angle of sidestand for more lean angle.
I already have the preload pretty high. I added the washer that you mentioned and that seems to have made a big difference. Not a noticeable change on the level, but just enough added lean to feel more stable on a slight incline. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts