GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this question a while ago and got some replies but no products.

Riding in the rain this past week, we took a long trip from western NY through Vermont and New Hampshire and back, about 980 miles. We got some rain on the way through Ticonderoga and my face shield fogged up.......again.

It's cracked but still fogs up and for obvious reasons that's some scary stuff! I had to lift the shield and wipe it off with my gloves on the inside, while riding some very slippery roads, with traffic on my a$$, there was no where to pull over.

Is there a product out there that one can apply to the faceshield to stop it from fogging?? One you've used and you KNOW works in this situation.

I have a Shoei Multitec, vents were open, it was warm and humid, there has to be something to coat the shield on both sides to stop this........a Breath guard didn't even help, I tried one from an old snowmobile helmet, it was just the heat from my fat head that created the problem.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Stop by any scuba shop and pick up a bottle of "mask clear'" or rub on a drop or two of baby shampoo and polish it off. The soap residue breaks down the surface tension of the water so it doesn't form into droplets. It will still get wet, but will form a clear sheet of moisture and not impair vision.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Pinlock Shield.....Google it.

You will NEVER fog up EVER again.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
The baby shampoo probably would work - they have a blue liquid that is given out at Snorkel Bob's in Hawaii that seems to be just a surfactant and soap. You apply it the same way. I works well on visors, too - but you need to apply it before it rains (so that it can be polished dry), and it needs to be applied each use.

There is a product called Cat Crap that I've read a lot of raves about. Campmor carries it.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Two words!

CAT CRAP!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I got tired of my shields fogging up several years ago. Got tired of forgetting to treat the shield before a sudden rain. My worst helmet for fogging was an Arai Signet It would fog if it even looked like rain here in FL.

Now I only buy helmets that have fog free face shields. My wife and I have been buying Scorpion helmets since 2006. I have 3 different ones right now. My current favorite is an EXO 900 flip up. We have been in a lot of rain and cold with these helmets and they have never fogged up.

There are several companies that make fog free shields for their helmets at this time. Look around for some of them. Best money I've spent for staying safe.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I polish my shield with dishwashing liquid, inside and out, Works Well!

·
Registered
5,173 Posts

:agree:

I have one on my Shoei Qwest. I tried one on my RF1000 but I didn't like the gap around the edge that let bright sunlight through. But on the Qwest it fills up the eye port so much that you don't see a gap. I ride with it all the time now.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
:agree:

I have one on my Shoei Qwest. I tried one on my RF1000 but I didn't like the gap around the edge that let bright sunlight through. But on the Qwest it fills up the eye port so much that you don't see a gap. I ride with it all the time now.
You can't get a tinted pin lock ready shield for that helmet?

·
Registered
20,951 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
The fog city sticks to the inside of your visor and acts like double glazing. They work really well and I put them on to my helmets as a matter of course. They are a great option as you can pretty mush fit them to any sized visor as they come in a number of sizes.

All up I would have used them for about 4 years and am happy (obviously) with their performance.

I know other people who use the pin locks and swear by them as well.

I have tried all of the lotions, potions and folk remedies with various degrees of success and frustration. Fog city or pin lock for my mind.

Regards

Michael G

·
Registered
137 Posts

I agree with the above. I have a Schuberth C3 with a Pinlock Shield and it never fogs up even in very cold and humid weather. There is nothing to wear off or apply just buy a faceplate with the Pinlock Shield.

I know that at least some Shoei helmets have an option of the Pinlock Shield. It is well worth checking to see if you can get one that will fit your helmet.

:cool:

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
The baby shampoo probably would work - they have a blue liquid that is given out at Snorkel Bob's in Hawaii that seems to be just a surfactant and soap. You apply it the same way. I works well on visors, too - but you need to apply it before it rains (so that it can be polished dry), and it needs to be applied each use.

There is a product called Cat Crap that I've read a lot of raves about. Campmor carries it.
+1 for Cat Crap. I always use this when I snow skied. If it can keep snow goggles clear it will work great for m/c helmets.

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
i have been using Fogtech for years, as long as i get it applied at the rite time it works pretty good for me, infact i ordered a new ten pack just last week, took about 3 days to arrive, supposedly the new advanced formula works even better, won't know for sure until i get to use it in the rain
http://www.fogtech.com/fogtech.html

Pinlock product is interesting but expensive and they don't make one to fit my Arai XD

the Fog City thing, i have never tried one, some folks swear by them and some folks say they are more trouble than they are worth

one thing that is a big help for me when riding in the rain is a pair of Firstgear Master rain gloves, they have a very good faceshield wiper on the finger, i am always amazed how good it works :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,349 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
The easiest, simplest, lowest cost, most effective anti-fog device is a 5 inch length of 1/2 inch plastic or surgical rubber tubing. Breathe through your mouth and the air exits below the helmet. You can ride with your visor completely closed and never fog up.

July 3rd in New Hampshire was raining constantly. Picked the tube from my left compartment, slid it beneath the helmet and into my mouth. Easy breathing and zero fog. It also prevents fogging of eyeglasses, which double visors and wipe-on liquids do not prevent.

Try it and see.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
The easiest, simplest, lowest cost, most effective anti-fog device is a 5 inch length of 1/2 inch plastic or surgical rubber tubing. Breathe through your mouth and the air exits below the helmet. You can ride with your visor completely closed and never fog up.

July 3rd in New Hampshire was raining constantly. Picked the tube from my left compartment, slid it beneath the helmet and into my mouth. Easy breathing and zero fog. It also prevents fogging of eyeglasses, which double visors and wipe-on liquids do not prevent.

Try it and see.
Been there done that....

The heat that came off my face fogged up my shield. Plus...who wants to breathe through a tube when you can drop $40 for a fogg free sheield?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts