Votes: 48 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 75 61.0%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
If your friend posted that travel information on this site, he would be vulnerable to the the same thing. It's not a Facebook issue. User common sense a necessity on all posts no matter what site.
The other thought is at least on Facebook you HAVE to login to see any posts, here you can find it on a google search and still see everything but the members list...

·
Registered
8,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So, there's this concern I have with that organization...in fact, an article from TODAY on this very topic:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/facebooks-latest-privacy-scandals-opens-regulator-floodgates/

...and that is, they don't seem to give a sh!# about security because it's inconvenient for them and those entities they share that information with.

Now, don't get me wrong, Apple, Google - ****, a whole lot of other companies have a similar cache of data - but do you ever hear as much about leaks from them as you do with FB? Seriously.

Look, I give my data to Google; I had no choice (and neither do you!) as an Android user for the last decade. It's Google that seems (to me) to be pushing better, beefier security from all sides, and it's making me take a good hard look at my own security. It's decent, but it can always be better.

I just have never seen that from FB - and the scandals they have been in over the years just proves my point. They really don't have anything I can't find else where...even if it's by contacting my aunt (who is the avid family user of FB...) personally in order to share it with my parents who are also not FB users.

I do use social media - forums are another variant, but a small, manageable entity. I tell any forum owner as little information as needed to get an account. As long as I follow the rules, I'm good.

Finally, why the poll topic? Easy - I've not seen one here before, and I was curious to know by a percentage of active users how many are FB members as well. Since only about 10% to 20% of registered members of a forum are active users, it may or may not be an accurate interpolation to see the quantity of FB members on the forum. Additionally, there is little cross-pollination between this forum and FB (it's VS' forum, and their rules...) as opposed to some other forums - I may have thought the ratio would be different.

·
Registered
7,731 Posts
After a bit over 24 hours, the split is interesting...

Honestly, I would have expected more in the 'no' camp - particularly here.
Me too. But they sure are PROUD, aren't they? :wink2:

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
The other thought is at least on Facebook you HAVE to login to see any posts, here you can find it on a google search and still see everything but the members list...
I often come here without logging in and can read every post! So much for anonymity LOL

·
Registered
350 Posts
After a bit over 24 hours, the split is interesting...

Honestly, I would have expected more in the 'no' camp - particularly here.
I believe the reason we have as many as we do in the "yes" camp is because the majority of our brethren here have grandkids/great grandkids and as I observed from my mom-in-law, it is the best venue for keeping up with them.
Never been on it myself, I get more than my fair share of interaction with fools at Walmart...….

:flg: 'Murica!

My apologies...………. that prior comment was a broad based condemnation and uncalled for.. Just can't fathom why some people air their dirty laundry on a public forum...….

·
Registered
7,731 Posts
It's continuing...but was readily identified several years ago by this author:

https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/10/remembrance-of-message-boards-past/
I prefer message boards like this one. There are a couple I still frequent. It's much easier to converse and find messages. FB sucks for that. But it's true, most message boards I participated in have turned into vast wastelands with a tumbleweed blowing by once in a while. One I checked every day died about a month ago - they hadn't been keeping up with updates and it broke. It probably won't be back.

This board isn't what it once was but it's still, by far, the busiest one I read. I hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Would not ever, ever ,ever be on FB again. Had my account hacked years ago and deleted it and never looked back. As I think back on my time as a user it was a tremendous waste of my time. Don’t miss it in the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
430 Posts
My riding club uses Facebook to communicate with the members. Typical posts are about meetings (report of the meeting and date/time announcements), announced rides (to be an active member you have to engage in two events in a six month period), member activity (discussion of riding activities such as the recent SS1K the club President and I did to go to COTA; personal stuff like if someone passes away, etc.), and other club documentation such as the club constitution and the membership application are stored there.

I generally use FB to follow a couple of activities in which I have an interest such as the International Powerlifting Federation and MotoGP, and, of course, I keep in touch with friends.

All of my personally identifiable information was compromised when hackers broke into the SF86 database. I have ways to track what happens to anything associated with me that could impact my life. So far, the worst I have encountered is the notification that several convicted sex offenders live within a few miles of me. If you don't know what Standard Form 86 (SF86) is about, then don't worry. I used to be a rocket scientist in a previous incarnation and the government needed to know everything about me. Too bad I couldn't really trust them to keep it private. So, what Facebook knows is what some of my interests are... Amazon probably knows more... and the hackers know everything. It's why I change stuff frequently. You should too. Most folks don't. Ride safe.

·
Registered
7,731 Posts
Would not ever, ever ,ever be on FB again. Had my account hacked years ago and deleted it and never looked back. As I think back on my time as a user it was a tremendous waste of my time. Don’t miss it in the least.
:lol: :D

·
Registered
8,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
An update, of sorts, as a result of another discussion...

"More broadly, the steady growth in adoption that social platforms have experienced in the United States over the past decade also appears to be slowing. The shares of adults who say they use Facebook, Pinterest, LinkedIn and Twitter are each largely the same as in 2016..."

The interesting part is for all those that don't use FB, there are as many that do use YT.

Yes, as a social media platform.

·
Registered
562 Posts
just found this thread, and quickly just glossed over the posts.

my Timeline does not refer to where I live, nor does it refer to my work history or schools, EduKaShun, and FB does NOT have my phone number.

I have all notifications turned OFF.
I never make a Public post, that just invites scantily clad unhumans claiming they can improve my sex life.

I signed onto FB for one reason only: a vast majority of forum users have quit using PCs and forums, they have fallen victims to staring at a cellphone.
Also, as my only remaining sibling is a sister, who hates politics and some other weird things, I am restricted in "what types of things" that I can post, or it will irritate her immensely....
we had a falling out over that a few months back, took a lot of hard work to "agree to disagree" and quit talking about what the other don't like.

that bugs me to no end, but it is, what it is.... she and I have suffered from a brother and sister who committed suicide: that almost destroys familys, it mentally killed our mother, and dad just crawled into a shell and quit talking.

I have quit posting that I am at a restaurant, I hate being pestered with polls to say what I like at xxy bean and fish joint.

Facebook and other social media, have ruined the world IMO.
Before social media appeared, we rarely ever heard about a mass shooting, or the current attitude towards LEOs/paramedics/hospitals/schools

I guess, looking backwards, the Internet destroyed our world with us being able to see in Real Time what is happening 12,000 miles away.

I greatly miss Walter Leland Cronkite.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There's clearly a need for something like FB, but trusting one person (Zuckerberg) to manage our communications and news is bonkers.

In exchange for seeing baby pictures we are served a platter of misinformation, with no vetting or responsibility for content.

Instagram works ok for pics, although you'll still putting money in Zuckerberg's pocket.

Emails, group texts, blogs, and forums like this one work great for communication, without all the misdirection and propaganda.

Do the country a favor and delete FB.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Never been on facebook in my life...........

My camping friends that lives on a very quiet street, used to get on this "facebook" thingie, and BRAG/TELL THE WORLD about everytime they went out camping, where they were going, and when they were going to be home... Well, OF COURSE now when they were gone, their house gets broken into, and totally stole everything that they had that was worth any amount money...When they returned home, they found the home ransacked and almost empty.....They lost almost EVERYTHING!

Why take any chances and broadcast your life for to see..............STUPID!

Ronnie

One can be active on it WITHOUT BEING STUPID. It's a great source of entertainment and keeping up with friends and family, especially for retirees. Easy to recognize and bypass the BS.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yes, I use Facebook. The riding club of which I'm a member has a FB page for communicating with the membership and others that follow the group. It is a closed group. I don't use other social media venues/applications like Twitter simply because I don't want to. It's like why I don't currently have cable TV - I'm cheap and don't need 300+ channels to flip through - I recently moved and can't find my remote so my reasoning is unsound as I'm jonesing for some channel flipping. I remember back in the day when there weren't remotes - I don't want to go back to that!!

·
Registered
8,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Yes, I use Facebook. The riding club of which I'm a member has a FB page for communicating with the membership and others that follow the group. It is a closed group. I don't use other social media venues/applications like Twitter simply because I don't want to.
I would surmise that many other small motorcycle groups are of the same mind - simple & easy to set this up.

Most in the Baby Boomer age cohort signed up in order to keep track of kids, grandkids and other family activities. My wife signed up as a need for work-related communication with students (she's in administration at a college...) a decade ago, and her use continues to be very sporadic.

I'm simply not a fan of their - terrible - security practices.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts