Votes: 48 39.3%
  • No

Votes: 74 60.7%

• Total voters
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Our riding group is using Band. It is free and has worked really well for us.
what is 'band'?
never heard of it

EDIT: Google to the rescue

·
Registered
65 Posts
Check out BAND – The App For Groups if you are interested. Our Highschool Marching Band Booster Association (just a naming coincidence) used it to communicate during football season, that is how I found out about it. You just create a group and invite people. It has all the features of apps like FB without all the FB BS. It has a calendar where we plan events and rides, there is a chat feature, can post pics. We have 30+ riders with spouses in our riding group. Has a phone and PC app. Do not mean to hijack the thread, just answering the question.

·
Registered
562 Posts
guess your group does not have 'goldwing' in the title?

I see you posted before I did, tee hee, you really meant a 'band', I was in a high school band once, the info was written on the Chalk Board :rolleyes:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah, youngest is in marching band. :} The Mrs. is active in the booster association so that is how I found out they were using band. Our riding group does not have Goldwing in the name as we are a mishmash of many different bikes, Wings, Ventures, Harleys, BMWs. We don't care as long as you ride smart, ride safe, ride well.

·
Registered
800 Posts
No never had an account and never will. All my computers have facebook, instagram, twiter, Cortana and another similar apps blocked. Also don't have and never will have Alexa or similar devices in my home. And I have a 10 year old flip phone so no tracking thru the phone.
Been in the hi tech industry for 50 years. Love it but don't trust any of it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Simple question, gents...

Are you an active* user of Facebook?

* For definition purposes, active means you have logged into the system (Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, WhatsApp, Oculus) once in the last 30 days.
Results so far surprise me.

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Results so far surprise me.
Why? The responses so far are a minuscule percentage of the population here...and those that are active here are probably not active in other avenues of 'social media'.

The chart I cribbed back in post #32 of this thread shows the response* to be similar to those in the thread.

* I'll presume that nearly all responses here are males.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Deleted my FB account a couple of years ago when it came out the FB app was listening all the time and serving ads based on your conversations.
Between the privacy issues and the time suck, it’s not worth it to me.

EDIT: PS, I also moved off Google, Twitter, and use Apple products strictly due to their privacy stance. I have my own email domain with a company that doesn’t scan and sell data.
I pay for it because if you aren’t paying, you’re the product, not the customer.

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
Deleted my FB account a couple of years ago when it came out the FB app was listening all the time and serving ads based on your conversations.
Between the privacy issues and the time suck, it’s not worth it to me.

EDIT: PS, I also moved off Google, Twitter, and use Apple products strictly due to their privacy stance. I have my own email domain with a company that doesn’t scan and sell data.
I pay for it because if you aren’t paying, you’re the product, not the customer.
You can run but you can't hide. ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
FB? NO!!!! HELL NO!!!!!!! FRIGGEN HELL NO!!!!!!!!
Not in the least bit interested. Everybody yacking about useless crap, taking pictures of their lunch, screw that.
Bad enough I spend the time I do on the lap top.
No FB for this guy ever!

·
Registered
213 Posts
No I never used Facebook. My take is why does everybody need to know what I am doing, or what my dog looks like or even what my kids are doing and look like. My business is mine and if I want some one else to know I will either face to face with them or call them and let them know what I am doing. Why tell the criminals any info, like if you are not at home or anything about your personal life. That's my take on Facebook. Not trying to start any arguments either about Facebook, I have just never seen a need for it on my part.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Be careful on this site too! Has anybody notice those little national flags in their profile? If you ever leave your home country with any device that has ever seen this site than your country will change. I even logged out, left the browser, opened a fresh browsing session, and without signing in I’m still out of county. How can this be stopped?

So maybe no one is home at my undisclosed address. However if that is true and they can make it past our alarm system (complete with cameras), past the neighbors dogs, past the person taking care of our house, past the lady who was just elected block Capt and walks day and night looking for problems, and they get in and out before the cops get there (some of whom live in the neighborhood), then they can have what they want (its all insured anyway).

As for Facebook, yes we have an account and enjoy reading about others adventures (just like this forum). We only allow friends (not friends of friends, or everyone). In fact we have a list of friend requests we are ignoring. Our birthday is not accurate in facebook. Neither is our anniversary. Very little about us in our profile (just like this forum). No phone numbers. Some people who I barely know ask to be friends and I tell them to look us up and they usually can’t find us (then I play dumb and say I need to check with my wife).

However (unlike most of you) I have a job that requires me to have a Facebook account. Our public affairs will update the social media sites first and then “maybe” get around to updating older technology later. We also have several other ways to communicate including text from the Command Post and I get messages from several different county sources too.

I will end with a funny story with the moral being how fast social media travels. Another part of my job requires me to plan and execute exercises. At the time our Exericse Evaluation Team (now known as Wing Inspection Team) had an old airplane that we could just dump anywhere and start a major accident exercise and we did just that. Some lady was in the commissary, came out and broke the news to the world about the big plane crash on base. If it wasn’t for Public Affairs being alert and stopping the rumor than the news agencies were just about on there way.

So be careful out there but don’t afraid to be out there...the same theory holds true for motorcycling.

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
I've used Facebook for years as well as this board. With the new changes to this board, I'm too old to learn new tricks. Not here much anymore.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts