GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding yesterday after a cool front blew thru southeast Texas and had a question. It was very windy with strong northerly gusts that pushed the bike all over the road. Does a Tulsa belly pan really help in this situation?? I know it would help protect the oil filter and coolant tank but I have read it could also reduce the effect of cross winds. What's your experience??

·
Registered
824 Posts
Some people have noticed in cross winds that it does help.... why? who knows.... I noticed it does help for me and tomorrow will be a good test as we have a ride to s. NJ planned and it is going to be breezy (30 mph+ winds) so we shall see....

Melissa

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I for one honestly do not think it makes any difference on cross winds. The only way you will know for sure is to put one on. I have one and am glad I do for the protection of what is underneath. (filter and coolant tank)

If you could ride in the exact same conditions with and without it you would know for sure. The Wing is a wind catcher by itself anyway...

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
No this is fiction. No difference with or without the pan.

On a prticularly windy day, I took a ride out on the highway without the pan, then put is on ad repeated....tried to ride next to a nd past big rigs etc....tired to make each ride near the same as possible.

I felt absolutely no difference with or without.

The pan though does offer some protection to the filter so that is why I have it on.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Ross, I love 'ya like a brother, but in my opinion, it did help. My first trip on Rio was up to Longmont, CO to ride up to Wyoming and Montana with a group from another riding club. Coming across the interstate going into Denver, I hit some pretty heavy cross winds that made it difficult to keep the bike in a straight line. When I returned, I got a belly pan and immediately noticed a distinct difference in the way the bike handled in cross winds. It seemed more "planted" and less susceptible to violent movement.

I don't know why some people say it helps and others don't. I doubt that there are different aerodynamics on the same type bike, so it must be like beauty - in the eye of the beholder.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
64 Posts
I never could tell any difference, but then again I didn't ride in windy conditions with and then without the pan in a short timeframe. It's hard to tell unless you ride on a windy day in the am and then put on the pan and then ride some more in the pm in the same windy conditions. I personally don't care about any alleged handling aspects of the pan. I bought it to protect my coolant reservoir.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I am not an aeronautical engineer but do have a pilots license and I cannot for the life of me see how it could make any difference. I do know that there is a tendency for my wing to act like a sail when it get a direct cross wind due to the fact that there is very limited area for the wind to pass through.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
No.....

The one's that do say it makes a difference is only their imagination (JMHO). :D

However....I do have one. I do not use the front piece....only the rear section because it makes a great coolant tank protector.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Well I am one of the ones. We live in West Texas and constantly have crosswinds. When we got our wing we put about 2000 miles on it before adding a Pan, and it does not cure the crosswinds but it definitely helps. The only thing I can figure is it is a flat bottom kinda like a race car. We ride with another couple and they have a 1800 and no pan, in a wind they lean over more than us buy a little. Thats all I know. :?

·
Registered
462 Posts
It is very hard to tell against cross winds because you don't know how hard you are geting hit by the wind, but when passing the eighteen wheeler's on the flat slab there is a tremendous difference in the amout that we get pushed around. That' My story and I'm sticking to it!

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Well, I don't have a belly pan, but my Wing handles the buffeting of the crosswinds much better after I change the oil, give it a good wash job, and clean the bugs from the windshield. And, it doesn't lean over as much in the turns!

That's MY story and I'm st-st-stickin' to it. :wink:

·
Registered
792 Posts
I know one thing about belly pans, with or without you get hit with a blast of 30 or 40 or 50 mph crosswind, you'll need clean undies. Got hit so hard I had to turn the handle bars to catch up to the back of bike. :eek:ops

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
I have the Tulsa for protection. It does not help in crosswinds. BUT the weight of the crushwasher helps to balance the bike when centered perfectly on the oil drain bolt when tightening after an oil change, and the only way to balance properly is with a new one. :shock:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I don't know if I's experiencing the placebo effect or if my adding a belly pan to my bike actually helped. It did seem to, but there are many reasons why I might perceive that. I may have ridden in less windy conditions or I may have gotten used to riding in the wind, to name two.

I feel (not know) that it has helped with the wind, and I know that I feel safer with it on because the belly of the bike has an extra layer of protection.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Belly Pan!

This is a gimmick to scam you into parting your money from yourselves. Remember the "Snake Oil" article in Motorcycle Consumer News? :roll: Nuff said!

Ride safely,

Mike T.

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
lots of folks are sold on deer whistles and greenlite triggers too, to me a bellypan is about the same thing, but i havn't bought any of these things so how could i know ? saw an ad in a magazine selling a SPEACIAL MAGNET that attaches to the fuel line and increases MPG, pays for itself pretty quickly they say

·
Registered
179 Posts
NO but still woth the money ! :D

·
Registered
536 Posts
No, the belly pan doesn't help any with the cross winds; but I heard that changing to Amsoil helps reduce buffeting significantly. :D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts