GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 with factory GPS. I was riding Saturday with the wife down a major country road and the GPS kept telling me it was an unvalidated road...I'm noticing this more and more. This road was not a side road through a field but a major secondary connection. How can I fix this because I don't trust the navi to get me anywhere............

·
Registered
222 Posts
New maps should be available for your model later this month (hopefully). Garmin sent a few out a couple of months ago, but supposedly there were some issues they are working out, but will ship the rest when they are fixed. There are a couple of other threads on this, with copies of emails Garmin has sent. Its about a $95 upgrade for the newer maps.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
How did you get anywhere before GPS? That method probably still works the same as always.

To be honest, I have a lousy sense of direction and would be lost most of the time without it. Would be stopping using a map or asking someone constantly. :shrug:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reading a map or calling a friend was not what I was looking for. This Nav system is expensive. I've called 2 local Honda dealers and got the "blank stare" over the phone regarding MAP upgrading / reflash....but they did say they would check into it :excited::-(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Howdy all! Will the updates be for the 2007 Nv system also? I was told those were not supported anymore and it reallt pissed me off. My 2007 GL1800 maps are not even 2007 maps, I think they are 2006 data base info. How hard can it be for garmin to update the cards??

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just spoke with Mark, Garmin Goldwing Customer Support, and the updates are supposed to ship by the end of September..... I hope.:popcorn:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
American Honda told me I need to do a "hard reset"

Can anyone tell me or point me to a link for that procedure - where is the nav card located on the bike?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Howdy all! Will the updates be for the 2007 Nv system also? I was told those were not supported anymore and it reallt pissed me off. My 2007 GL1800 maps are not even 2007 maps, I think they are 2006 data base info. How hard can it be for garmin to update the cards??
I have a 2007 Navi and that is what I ordered for mine. Call this number (866-606-7555) for a direct line to Garmin Goldwing support. The price of the card is $103.00 shipped.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the upgrade info .....but I really want to try the hard reset to see if some of the roads will come back in.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
American Honda told me I need to do a "hard reset"
Can anyone tell me or point me to a link for that procedure -
where is the nav card located on the bike?
in the shop book, they call it "Forced Update" (starting on page 24-28 )
...briefly.. (I omitted the obvious stuff..i.e "open the trunk" etc...
3) .. push the latch on the left side of the Navigation unit (in the trunk) to open the cover
4) .. remove the CF card
5) ..remove the navigation unit (do not disconnect the connectors)
.. press and hold the reset switch (hole in top right corner)
(side bar: do not release the switch until the second "updating from card" message appears)

6) ..turn the ignition on, wait for "holding" text box to appear
7) ..Insert the CF card, text box says "Loader and updating from Card"
.. release the reset switch
..After uploading is completed, this text box will disappear.

Caution (from page 24-29 of the shop manual):
"Do not remove the CF memory card or turn the ignition switch OFF before the updating is completed. Interrupting the complete program update may cause a problem in the Navigation System."

.. if the update fails, repeat the procedure from step three.

I've done it alone but it's easier with two people
.. you need three hands..
.. one to hold the reset button
.. one to switch the ignition on
.. one to insert the CF card

Dennis

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have an 08 with factory GPS. I was riding Saturday with the wife down a major country road and the GPS kept telling me it was an unvalidated road...I'm noticing this more and more. This road was not a side road through a field but a major secondary connection. How can I fix this because I don't trust the navi to get me anywhere............

I have the same problem...! I just bought a NEW just some 5 months ago and it tells me the same thing. Funny the road I know has been there at least for 40 years...yet it says unvarified road type thing... Oh my bike is a 2010 bought it NEW.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Same issue with a little extra

My unidentified roads so far seem logical since they are very rural. I have to stop and restart my GPS when it tells me to "drive 14 miles and make a u-turn". That's the way to get those miles on the Wing!

Does anyone know if the upcoming update from Garmin will patch software issues in addition to updating the maps?

·
Registered
345 Posts
And there was a few times when it told me to make a left or right...and there was NO ROAD of any sort anywhere to be found...! First time I did that I was in the middle of nowhere...and it was night on a lonely back country road...lots of trees and forest...and i started into a turn to find NOTHING just a huge ditch that I almost put the bike and myself into. What the hell is what that...? Telling me there is a road, when its clear there NEVER has been one there....ever..!

It goes without saying...I have lost trust in my GPS. Oh...the best one was up somewhere in the middle of nowhere...where the GPS told me the Canada #1 highway I have to turn to stay on it. Guess where the GPS took me...? Through a indian RES before it brought me back onto the #1 trans canada again. That was scary...doing 100+ Km/h ( 60 + MPH ) going from good paved road down onto loose garvel...Was not impressed at all.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I just spoke with Mark, Garmin Goldwing Customer Support, and the updates are supposed to ship by the end of September..... I hope.:popcorn:

yehhhhhh, right!! What a circus :eek:4: Next, it'll be mid Oct, then end of Oct. Been waiting since June. Sheeeshhheee. No big deal, just unbelievable. None of them know what the babbling creek is going on. :joke:

·
Registered
345 Posts
yehhhhhh, right!! What a circus :eek:4: Next, it'll be mid Oct, then end of Oct. Been waiting since June. Sheeeshhheee. No big deal, just unbelievable. None of them know what the babbling creek is going on. :joke:
Ya...ya....ya....I have been hearing this same story now for....I forget its been running that long. Maybe if everyone would band together and start a class action suit....against HONDA....you watch how F'en fast it will be out. Class action based on NO CUSTOMER SUPPORT... I bet in 2 weeks they will have them... Guys WE paid BIG money for this bike and to have the GPS system in it....so now...HONDA GET you s**t together....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My unidentified roads so far seem logical since they are very rural
Well I can't agree with the logic... my $55.00 Garmin finds them and more, so I would think this $1700.00 monster (or whatever it cost) would do the same or better. I wish I would have just left the option off and installeda mount for a car unit.

·
Registered
345 Posts
If you are updated to the latest firmware, you should not be getting the "unverified road" nag. I know I no longer get it.

Search this link...

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171213&highlight=unverified+road
I bought my bike some 5 months ago now, and I get that unverified road thing.....ALOT...! When its not that, then its showing me roads that are clearly....NOT THERE..NEVER HAVE BEEN. All I know is that when you pay like near $30,000.00 for a Gold Wing here in Canada....you bloody well expect and demand that little things....like a bloody GPS works right. Or is that toooo much to ask for....?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts